Sign in to follow this  
nickcaldwell4587

747 v3 vc structure accuracy

Hi , This message is directed to Vin and the graphics team first and foremost .

Firstly I must say that I love the work generally and the 747 v2 modelling and textures are great overall externally and internally . With this said I would just like to focus on one particular area in the vc that I feel kind of lets the rest down to some degree in terms of its structural accuracy compared to the real aircraft.

I'm referring to the upper glare shield structure from the mcp forwards and the front windscreen window frames and seals structure. this is an area that some may think doesn't really get seen much by the pilots however that's not the case at all in reality , If sat in the correct position/height this area is right under both pilots noses and the part they can see closest and continually right in sight. 

So for me it would be great if some improvements could be made in this area not only for the -400 , but also implemented in the up coming -8 which shares almost exactly the same structure in this area.

Just for the record all these photos belong to and were taken by me in a real 747 400 so there are no copyright issues.

IntPAwR.jpg

wide rubber skirt should run all the way round the edge of the glare structure

M3YeSbD.jpg

outer external windscreen black thick rubber seal clearly visible from inside , and the corners are all sharp angles not rounded

4T0aBgd.jpg

below see wide rubber skirt running along edge of glare plus actual top side of glare structural differences. View  taken sitting in captains seat leaning forward

gQ4wb2s.jpg

OpRPY5Q.jpg

wide rubber skirt and much larger grab handle hole which is not round but oval/ hand shaped. view leaning forward whilst sitting in the captains seat.

28j3Ib1.jpg

a lot of rubber seal and structure missing below

eGn8oJA.jpg

rubber trim wrong colour and much to thin , a lot of missing structure here including white wire (which was modelled in the pmdg 777 incidently)

0xP0bNe.jpg

wide flixible rubber trim/ skirting and  white electrical wire plus outer window rubber seal clearly visible all the way round. this is the view sitting in the captains seat

yHJUIsL.jpg

now look at the lower front and side window frame line continuity below

FbyQiDH.jpg

0UbKIhP.jpg

sitting back in the captains seat there is still a lot of side window frame and rubber structure visible to the sides. completely missing in the pmdg 747 v2

h7RlmWR.jpg

lqZg5NA.jpg

vuIthPz.jpg

3G2Mw4U.jpg

now look at the front window frame structure below

YElGSYj.jpg

and real aircraft below which I appreciate is not from exactly the same angle however even sat further back this structure is clearly visable

Vdyi1EJ.jpg

and lastly the rear side windows, I wouldn't regard this as important as the front window frames and glare structure issues but there is a lot more  lower window frame detail visible in the real aircraft

Vzkpddn.jpg

3w5Iyjj.jpg

I realise that some may regard this all as "nit picking" and probably try to post unpleasant replies however I would ask that people remain pleasant and polite and openminded in the same spirit as this constructive and positive criticism is intended or don't bother  to post. None if this is intended to point a finger at anyone , rather to help improve the product which benefits all of us(incl the company so thanks to Vin and his good grace in the past for his positive replies to similar previous posts from various forum users)  and particularly those of us who appreciate visual accuracy as much as system accuracy. 

in order to get an accurate picture of the whole top side of the glare shield the best approach is to view photos taken from outside rather than using internal shots ( airliners.net etc etc) , simply because of the tight angles I had to take them from do not accurately show the true dimensions

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Qantas/Boeing-747-438/968767/L

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7478508@N05/445564209

https://www.flickr.com/photos/a380spotter/5014660212

Vin please feel free to pm me if you want to discuss or need any more photos as I have taken a whole bunch more 

thanks

nick caldwell 

• Upvote 3

Nick,

This would be better to be send as a ticket and not through the forum. Besides that have in mind that differences might exist between air frames and operators. As far as I know VC is constructed based on survey aircraft pictures and actual Boeing drawings, so there might be something on the survey aircraft that does not exist on another aircraft etc.

• Upvote 1

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

Hi Chris

I appreciate what your saying however the general construction issues ive pointed out here are not a simple case of differences in the survey aircraft or Boeing drawings used by the team particularly regarding the front window frames and upper glare structure. Perhaps it would be best to let Vin respond as in the past as he,ll   know what I mean.

thanks

nick caldwell

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nickcaldwell4587 said:

Perhaps it would be best to let Vin respond as in the past as he,ll   know what I mean.

As Chris said, you'd be better off submitting a support ticket for this. The forums here are primarily user to user support, so there's no guarantee that anyone from PMDG will necessarily see it, or respond to it for that matter.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

1 hour ago, Henry Street said:

Oh, to have the patience of Saint Kyle.

henry

why would he or anyone need patience when they can clearly see somebody such as me has given up a lot of time and used my professional experience ( for free) to actually help improve their companies product in a positive way? Not to mention the fact that the photos ive added show that what I'm saying is accurate.

what have you done to help improve the product other than try to stir things in the forum and actually hamper progress and improvement ?

Standards for addons like these are continually evolving and improving in both systems and graphics and all of us have benefitted from these improvements over the years including you. Actually people should be glad and welcome anyone who is willing to spend time trying to contribute like this rather than ridicule them. Its partly because of the willingness of beta teams and others like me to contribute like this for free that standards have continually improved. Its certainly not thanks to people that are only really interested in causing animosity in the forums in order to try to make themselves look good to the mods(which I doubt is the case) Trying to attack people like this for trying to help is the real problem here, its antiquated unhelpful to anyone and needs to be stamped out and any company with good business sense should be able to see that.

nick caldwell

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, nickcaldwell4587 said:

why would he or anyone need patience when they can clearly see somebody such as me has given up a lot of time and used my professional experience ( for free)

You comments are in a public forum. Expect public comments.

• Upvote 1

Sigh.

• Upvote 1

Daniel Rosso: ATP Single and Multi-Engine: B757 B767 BAE-ATP DA-50 DA-20 CE-650 CE-560-XL CE-525S DO-228: Flight Instructor Single and Multiengine Airplane Gold Seal:  Ground Instructor Advanced and Instrument: Remote Pilot SUAS

4 hours ago, Olympic260 said:

k,

This would be better to be send as a ticket and not through the forum. Besides that have in mind that differences might exist between air frames and operators. As far as I know VC is constructed based on survey aircraft pictures and actual Boeing drawings, so there might be something on the survey aircraft that does not exist on another aircraft etc.

My sincere apologies for complementing Kyle on his preternatural patience and capability in moderating these forums. Totally agree with Chris and Kevin, a truly helpful commentary would best be done in a private messaging manner directly to support.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, nickcaldwell4587 said:

I expect them , just saying that yours  isn't helpful to anyone and just stirring things up unnecessarily which doesn't impress anyone

Okay, I'll try this again. Have you submitted a support ticket. There's nothing wrong with posting it here for other people here to see it, but if you want to be sure someone from PMDG sees it and responds to it, you really need to submit a support ticket since there's no guarantee they'll see it here.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

12 hours ago, nickcaldwell4587 said:

Perhaps it would be best to let Vin respond as in the past as he,ll   know what I mean.

This should be done, as the others have mentioned, via support.

• Upvote 2

Kyle Rodgers

13 hours ago, nickcaldwell4587 said:

Hi , This message is directed to Vin and the graphics team first and foremost .

Firstly I must say that I love the work generally and the 747 v2 modelling and textures are great overall externally and internally . With this said I would just like to focus on one particular area in the vc that I feel kind of lets the rest down to some degree in terms of its structural accuracy compared to the real aircraft.

Hi Nick,

Thank you for your input.  Like Kyle said, this is typically done best through support, but I'll briefly address it here. 

Many of the items you are showing certainly are observable in the aircraft you photographed, but are simply different in the airplanes that we surveyed.  I could give you a number of photographs that show a different design for the items that you've showcased here that are matched accurately in the airplane that we produced.  You should be aware that Boeing provided, over many decades of producing this aircraft, literally thousands of variations in the design of the cockpit.  We also tend not to go nuts on details in areas of the cockpit that are not visible without climbing out of your seat and going through a number of contortions.  That being said, you've shown one item that we may take a second look at as we move forward.

Happy flying!

• Upvote 4

Vin Scimone

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team_FB.jpg