Sign in to follow this  
nickcaldwell4587

resuming saved flights in cruise p3dv4

Ok so I'm finding that fsuipc auto save feature isn't working when I'm in the cruise on long hauls. The panels are blank and nothings alive in the cockpit after re starting the flight , nor does the initialization countdown take place, basically the flight is over Pmdg tech support say the manual points out that the fsuipc auto save is not supported because it doesn't save all the required parameters. Ive been using fsuipc auto save successfully in p3dv3 up till now , but have just moved to v4 and I'm no longer able to resume .

Has anyone found the same issue or a way to get round it because with an addon like this that's predominantly long haul its just not feasible to lose many hours of flight say after a ctd and not be able to resume. Its an essential requirement to be able to resume a long flight otherwise the addon really isn't useable to me as you never know if you'll complete the flight. Manually saving flights via the p3d menu simply isn't viable for 10 - 15 hour flights hence auto save is essential. Are there any other auto save utilities out there that people use instead of fsuipc?

thanks

nick caldwell 

23 minutes ago, nickcaldwell4587 said:

Manually saving flights via the p3d menu simply isn't viable for 10 - 15 hour flights  

May I ask why? I do not have P3Dv4 yet, hence my question. Unless you require saves at regular intervals? When I do long haul in FSX I keep an eye out for VAS usage and when I see the "danger zone" approaching I use the Save option. I do also have FSUIPC running but do not utilise its Autosave function. As for CTDs, yes, they could be a problem but I don't think I've had one of those in years. Or are you stepping away from the flightdeck and letting Otto handle the long hours?

Kidding aside, I'd be interested in knowing if the v4 version of FSUIPC can't actually save flights the way it used to. 

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

Hi

Its simply not an option to be continually saving flights every 20 minutes for 15 hours, Imagine it ....having to type a new name each time, tedious and completely ruining the fun. This is what auto save does and its necessary just incase at anytime the sim may crash which it can do no matter what version, as happened yesterday in v4 and the same in every version ive ever used for one reason or other. Taking off knowing that in 9 hours the flight maybe lost following a crash and that entire days flight wasted is not an option, completely ruins the experience. Its not just vas that causes crashes as we know and now in v4 this is eliminated and we still get ctds caused by any number of other conflicts. that's just the reality of simming. 

nick caldwell

2 hours ago, nickcaldwell4587 said:

Its not just vas that causes crashes as we know and now in v4 this is eliminated and we still get ctds caused by any number of other conflicts. that's just the reality of simming.

I haven't experienced any regular crashing with anything except VAS. When v4 came out, that was eliminated. At that point, it was only scenery or add-on incompatibilities.

I tend to be pretty methodical about what I do or do not put in my sims, and how I adjust the settings and configs (and overclocks). As such, if there's crash, I'm rather inclined to figure out what caused it and eliminate it. Previously, I was worried about hitting VAS limits, and not really at all worried about other crashes (last time I routinely worried about a crash was back when I used SquawkBox, which was notorious for doing it, depending on how you loaded it). Now, I'm not even worried about the VAS bit. If a flight crashes, it does sting a bit, but once you pin down and eliminate the error, you can reasonably not worry about it too much and carry on. Pinning that down can be a bit of a bear, though, depending on your methods of how you put things into the sim (it's easy to potentially check for an error if one appeared after adding one airport, but it would be tough if you bought and loaded 5-6 of them, etc.).

Kyle Rodgers

4 hours ago, speedyTC said:

Kidding aside, I'd be interested in knowing if the v4 version of FSUIPC can't actually save flights the way it used to. 

I use FSUIPC in P3dv4 with settings that sequentially only save flights three tiimes, i.e. the third saved flight drops off whenever a new one us saved. Works fine with aircraft other than PMDG. The saved flights in v4 apparently work the same as FSUIPC in v3.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

I have been successfully using the autosave feature in v4. In the rare instance of a CTD the autosaved flight loaded normally an I continued to my destination so it can work. It may just come down to individual computer setups. There are so many variables it's hard to say why it works for some and not others. Just out of curiosity when you load the saved flight do you just let it load up or put it into slew mode while it is loading. I ask because In the past I used slew mode because it would hold the plane in place until it was all ready to fly but I've found with the latest generation of sim/planes the plane doesn't get too out of shape if I just let it load with no slew. In fact during beta testing I was having a problem loading it in slew mode which is mainly why I stopped doing it that way.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

1 hour ago, Ralgh said:

I have been successfully using the autosave feature in v4. In the rare instance of a CTD the autosaved flight loaded normally an I continued to my destination so it can work. It may just come down to individual computer setups. There are so many variables it's hard to say why it works for some and not others. Just out of curiosity when you load the saved flight do you just let it load up or put it into slew mode while it is loading. I ask because In the past I used slew mode because it would hold the plane in place until it was all ready to fly but I've found with the latest generation of sim/planes the plane doesn't get too out of shape if I just let it load with no slew. In fact during beta testing I was having a problem loading it in slew mode which is mainly why I stopped doing it that way.

I load my flight normally also--don't use slew.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

Perhaps an individual's setup/addons?  I tend to keep a pretty minimalist setup (few addons) and my FSUIPC autosaves work quite well in P3Dv4 using the QII.  I'll select an autosave and let it load untouched while it initializes and the sim resumes the flight from that point.  With FSX/SE and previous versions P3D I always had to chase down what needed to be fixed after an autosave reload.  With that said, I've only had a handful of mid-flight CTD's since moving to v4.

2 hours ago, Ralgh said:

Hi

Ive tried every possible method I can think of to restart the flight including scouring the forums here and trying techniques that have worked for others, however ive also noticed that even those successful cases , others who have replicated those methods have not had success or intermittent so its very hard to pin down why there are differences , the obvious answer is that we all have different addons and setups and there seems to be no one fix. Unfortunately none have worked for me

nick caldwell

Hi

Ive tried every possible method I can think of to restart the flight including scouring the forums here and trying techniques that have worked for others, however ive also noticed that even those successful cases , others who have replicated those methods have not had success or intermittent so its very hard to pin down why there are differences , the obvious answer is that we all have different addons and setups and there seems to be no one fix. Unfortunately none have worked for me

nick caldwell

Nick, what about manually saving the fight in progress, exit P3D, start P3D and load the fight you just saved.  It should load and do the 20 sec initialization and continue on as if nothing happened.  Rule out FSUIPC.

Dan Downs KCRP

13 hours ago, downscc said:

Nick, what about manually saving the fight in progress, exit P3D, start P3D and load the fight you just saved.  It should load and do the 20 sec initialization and continue on as if nothing happened.  Rule out FSUIPC.

Hi Dan

yes I think that's going to be the only option left ( one which I wanted to avoid) , not ideal at all as it will be very tedious saving manually every 20 mins ( hence the benefit of autosave) for a long haul but its that or potentially lose the whole flight

thanks

Nick caldwell

10 hours ago, nickcaldwell4587 said:

Hi Dan

yes I think that's going to be the only option left ( one which I wanted to avoid) , not ideal at all as it will be very tedious saving manually every 20 mins ( hence the benefit of autosave) for a long haul but its that or potentially lose the whole flight

thanks

Nick caldwell

Nick, now that VAS isn't an issue you shouldn't need to save every 20 min.  I spend time with P3Dv4 everyday and I've had one event in months.  If you are having frequent events you should find the cause.  I save my flights before takeoff and before TOD, and maybe every 4 hrs for the long hauls.  Mostly I do it in case I botch a takeoff or arrival and I want a do-over.

Dan Downs KCRP

Dan

unfortunately another failure to restart today after about 4 hours flight, this time I didn't use fsuipc at all just saved the flight via the p3d menu.  Upon restart just crashing p3d every attempt doesn't even get that chance to load or see the blank screens scenario. Event viewer points to p3d its self, so its going to be a tedious process of elimination now to solve this. Lots of addons but all p3dv4 compatible so a bit of a mystery right now

Nick caldwell

Dan

unfortunately another failure to restart today after about 4 hours flight, this time I didn't use fsuipc at all just saved the flight via the p3d menu.  Upon restart just crashing p3d every attempt doesn't even get that chance to load or see the blank screens scenario. Event viewer points to p3d its self, so its going to be a tedious process of elimination now to solve this. Lots of addons but all p3dv4 compatible so a bit of a mystery right now

Nick caldwell

I want to confirm you saved the scenario using the P3D menu item, quit P3D, restarted P3D and you have it set up to open the Select Scenario screen first... no flight is loaded yet.  Then now when is P3D crashing?

Dan Downs KCRP

Yes that's exactly whats happening. Then I load the saved flight and as soon as it loads p3d ctds.

I should add that it seems to load just fine if the saved flight is on the ground, its just when I save flights in cruise that I have the issue. I used to get this in p3dv3 if I didn't load the default flt first however that's not working now in v4

I'm going to need to eliminate addons I think , long process

nick caldwell