Sign in to follow this  
tutmeister

New flight sim unveiled at Cosford 2017

So this year Remex software are unveiling a new sim platform at the flight sim show at raf Cosford on Oct 7th. They are first on at 10am and to be honest I had never heard of them before. I've been thinking about what a new sim needs to bring as we have the established ones plus the early access ones (FSW and aerofly FS2) showing great promise. So I decided to do a bit of research and it turns out that they are a small (very!) UK based software dev with lots of experience in games development and apparently real time simulation solutions for gaming, aerospace and racing sectors.

Have a look at the video below and see what you think. Google remix software and uFS and see what videos and pics you can find. From the little that is visible to the public on the internet it seems that it will be a simulator based on uFS (Unity Flight Simulation engine). This was created by him and up until now was being sold as a unity asset for people to buy and develop into things. Possibly even used by them in the aforementioned aerospace and racing sectors? Initially I thought it would just be eye candy but when you look into this it is very physics based (uses real world aerofoils), looks fantastic and should really run well on modern hardware (something that all current flight sims apart from fs2 will not currently do).

I may be way off but based off this info I bet this is close to the mark. Long way to go and we don't know what will be announced but looking at this so far and the physics behind it, it has a lot of promise, plus I'm a bit of a sucker for supporting small UK devs!

https://www.remexsoftware.com/

Bear in mind that this content was first out around 4 years ago so it has had plenty of time to mature away from public eyes...

It will be an interesting day at Cosford this year with barely any time between all the talks!

Chris

In 2015, it seemed to me that a proliferation in the number and complexity of flight simulators was on the verge of happening. My other comment, at the time, and today, is that 3rd party development will be the "make or break" for any flight simulator.

https://uchisworld.wordpress.com/2015/09/19/tldr-platform-market-share-directly-correlated-to-3rd-party-development-capability-p-s-no-more-1-sim-world/

• Upvote 1

Hmmmmmm..... I thought I saw this video years ago, and...... :mellow:

It seemed more like a demo, then. Has that changed?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Well it seems that way.

If this company are announcing a new simulator platform then I assume that it is going to be based on this as it is something they have been working on all this time. Obviously this is just me trying to piece something together from pretty much no info on the net but when you look at their site, Facebook, Twitter and various company info pages along with this from the unity asset page https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/11321 then it is a fair guess that it will be a full sim based on unity?

Chris

Wasn't the Unity engine the first platform for that aborted "NextGen Flightsim" development group? As I recall, the NextGen group dropped Unity and we never found out why. Maybe Unity was developing their own flightsim?

1 hour ago, Henry Street said:

Wasn't the Unity engine the first platform for that aborted "NextGen Flightsim" development group? As I recall, the NextGen group dropped Unity and we never found out why. Maybe Unity was developing their own flightsim?

some of the projects i work on for my job use the unity engine and having spent a bit of time with it i don't think it's structural design really easily lends itself to large dynamically loaded datasets like a globe of scenery.. and it isn't really a speed demon on performance either. a lot of what makes it great are the multi-platform support and the ease of rapid prototyping without a lot of coding or engineering work which is why it's very popular for indie games and iOS/android apps. that being said, it is also a very flexible platform and with the right coding could handle just about anything, there are several streaming implementations out there there already that can work around it's scene-based structure.

i would be VERY surprised if unity develops any game or sim projects.. they are primarily a technology company that creates the tools and engines. never say never of course but in quite a few years haven't seen any indication they intend to enter other markets..if so they would just be competing against their customers anyway.  :)

cheers,-andy crosby

• Upvote 1

Ok, I knew that Flight Simulator, Unity, and the above posted video were ringing some vague memory bells for me, and after some thinking and Googling I came up with this "Sim" on Steam called Flight Simulator VR

The game on Steam is listed as being from bcInteractive, but looking into the fine print, it eventually mentions both Unity, and Remex.

Whether this is the same sim or not, I can't absolutely say, but I do think the whole thing needs to be looked at by somebody who can get some definitive answers.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/569330/Flight_Simulator_VR/#app_reviews_hash

EDIT: Ok, doing more digging, Flight Simulator VR is apparently and asset rip from the Unity store of the original title: UnityFS, which is apparently created by the 'Real" Remex........

Still digging. Odd stuff.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I guess we will know on the 7th Oct.

They must be pretty serious to want to present at Cosford so I'm certainly willing to give it a chance. Who knows but it looks like it has some potential.

Chris