Sign in to follow this  
Ebs

Chaseplane: Amazing! (and a small request ;))

Hello,

I'm in the process of making a new video for YouTube. I've heard and read a lot about Chaseplane recently, but to be honest I was happy with EZDOK.

I was using EZDOK for all my cockpit views and the odd outside view. I always had problems with EZDOK's World views so I haven't used them for a while (years!)

All was well and I decided to take a look at Chaseplane once it was out of BETA.

However... :) I just decided to give Chaseplane a try about 30 minutes ago and WOW! I'm glad I did. The cockpit view options are incredible. I love the community preset sharing and the amount of customization for each view is impressive. However, there is one (small) problem at the moment. The transition ease in-out could do with a little more 'smoothing' at the end of the transition. I've gone through all the transition functions and I just can't fix what I'm missing. Right at the end of the transition I can see a hard 'lock' as the camera sets to the preset. If there was a bit more smoothing at the end it'd be perfect. (or even an option to enable it would be great)

I hope this makes sense, it's pretty hard to describe but I suppose I could upload a really short video to illustrate my 'problem'. Thanks for the hard work guys! I'm off to tweak Chaseplane some more :)

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

Go to Camera / Advanced. On the right hand side, select  Transition In & Out.

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

Thanks for the reply Willy, but that's not the problem I'm having.

It's a bit hard to explain, so I made a quick video. First EZDOK, then Chaseplane. Notice how the view SNAPS to the preset after the transition?

With EZDOK, the view eases into the transition a lot smoother. Hope this helps!

Neil Andrews.

You can change the transition type in Camera > Advanced.

You likely have an ease-in transition instead of an ease-out transition.

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

52 minutes ago, Keven Menard said:

You likely have an ease-in transition instead of an ease-out transition.

Hi Keven, thanks for the reply.

I've tried every type of transition function. The middle sinusoidal one is the best one so far, but it's still not as smooth. It looks like EZDOK goes past the final view position for a few frames then returns back to the final view position over a few frames.

I'm using the pictured transition in Chaseplane. if there was an extra transition function that replicates this, I'd move over to Chaseplane for good! :)

PEkAVFd.png

Neil Andrews.

The transition you picked is the sharpest of all of them.

Try Quintic, it might be more suited for you.

If it's still too sharp, try upping the duration of the transition.

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Quintic is very sharp in the middle of the transition. Sinusoidal is close but EZDOK seems to have a tiny 'bounce' right at the end of the transition. Hard to explain but clearer to see in the video I posted. It's like the transition has 'weight' right at the end.

However, I realise it's nit-picking. I'll probably get used to it in chaseplane.

Neil Andrews.

To be smooth at both ends it has to be sharp in the middle.

It has to get from 0 to 1 somewhere in the curve!

Setting the transition time higher should smooth everything out

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Quintic with a higher transition time has definitely smoothed it out.

I don't want to take up anymore of your time on this keven, but if you play the youtube video at half-speed, you'll see in the ezdok section, there's a 'bounce' of a few frames right at the end of the transition before it 'settles' into each camera view. I've gotten so used to seeing it that moving to chaseplane made the transitions look a bit...jarring (to me!)

Thanks for your help!

Neil Andrews.