Sign in to follow this  
cgrey000

atc chatter

Hi Dave,

Not sure if this is a bug or simply my misinterpretation of the proper ATC chatter directory structure.

Under the ATC_Chatter Directory, I have a directory for "US", and under "US" I have a folder for each region (K1-K7). In each region folder I have "App" "Clr" "Ctr" etc...

In addition, also in the K folders, I have airport folders (KRDU, KROA, etc)... and each airport folder has the controller types "App" "Clr" "Ctr". 

My understanding was, by configuring my folders this way, if a specific controller type is found for the airport I am currently tuned to, the chatter files from that folder would play -- If I'm contacting RDU tower and I have files in the K7 -> KRDU -> Twr folder, those would be the files that play. If I happen to be at an airport that doesn't have it's own folder, the files would instead play from the region's controller type. So, if I'm tuned to KATL ground, for example, and there is no KATL folder under K7, the files from K7 -> Gnd would play..

It seems, though, that the airport folders are not being used in this scenario. For example, tonight I departed from KHZL and landed at KROA. Both of these folders exist under their respective regions, and both have folders for all of the controller types full of files. I verified that those airport-specific files were never played, and instead the Clr, Gnd, Twr, App, Dep files all came from the controller type folders inside of the region folder (K6 -> Dep, K7 -> Ctr, K7 ->Twr ... )

I hope all of this makes sense... My question is - is my assumption about how this works incorrect, or is there a bug here? If I am doing something wrong, would you please help me understand how I would play airport-specific files if they exist, but fall back to the generic region files if there are no specific airport files for a controller type? I was certain I read somewhere that the way I have it set is the way it is supposed to be, but I seem to be wrong.

Thanks Dave!

Your logic sounds correct.  When Airport Folders is the chosen Chatter mode, the program first looks for a folder with the airport code ".../Sounds/ATCChatter/US/K7/KRDU" where .../Sounds/ is either the P2A default Sounds folder in the P2A installation folder or the folder designated in the set up as the "Root Folder".  If it does not find the airport id - KRDU, it then uses ".../Sounds/ATCChatter/US/K7" followed by the controller type "/Gnd" for example. 

If that folder exists, it plays from that folder.  Otherwise, it looks for a designated single file name for Ground and plays that file.

It's possible that the controller's Airport data is incorrect and so the program is looking for the wrong airport id, but that would be very rare and would be most likely with App or Dep frequencies since they might serve more than one airport..

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

Your logic sounds correct.  When Airport Folders is the chosen Chatter mode, the program first looks for a folder with the airport code ".../Sounds/ATCChatter/US/K7/KRDU" where .../Sounds/ is either the P2A default Sounds folder in the P2A installation folder or the folder designated in the set up as the "Root Folder".  If it does not find the airport id - KRDU, it then uses ".../Sounds/ATCChatter/US/K7" followed by the controller type "/Gnd" for example. 

If that folder exists, it plays from that folder.  Otherwise, it looks for a designated single file name for Ground and plays that file.

It's possible that the controller's Airport data is incorrect and so the program is looking for the wrong airport id, but that would be very rare and would be most likely with App or Dep frequencies since they might serve more than one airport..

Alright, then I think I may have found a bug -- will send logs. This wasn't a one-off... I suspected it a while ago, and have confirmed it has happened on every flight I've done since I started watching for it. Only thing I need to double-check is that I have the "airport folders" chosen as the chatter mode. 

Thanks again, Dave. Will either confirm if I have the chatter mode set wrong, or send some logs (and screenshots of my folder structure just to be sure) later today.  

Double-checked.... I somehow had the country option chosen instead of the airport option.No idea when or how I changed this, but I suspect that was my issue. Will confirm later with my next flight.

Thanks again, Dave - sorry for the false alarm

Sorry to pull this back up, but still seeing a problem, Dave.

Now that I've confirmed I have the airport option selected, the proper airport files are playing when they exist, however -- absolutely no ctr files play, ever. I'll get clr, gnd, twr, app and dep - and appropriately from the higher level folder if the airport folder doesn't exist, or doesn't have that type of controller. But nothing at all from any center.

Can't attach here, it seems, but will PM a log...