Sign in to follow this  
dk_

The Man Himself, X Plane Developer Austin Meyer

I had the chance this week to meet up with Austin at our local airport KCUB. As an air traffic controller at Columbia Approach, Austin and I have developed a unique relationship. What a great yet knowledgeable individual. There are some amazing features that X Plane is getting ready to roll out. In another post I'll post my video interview and detailed follow up on what he has planned! Of course this information is no secret and Austin has allowed me to share it with the flight sim community. Just to give you a tease, some may or may not know, but Austin and his team intend to make this lovely simulation platform, XPlane, available in several different languages. Sure, English is the language of aviation, but why not cater to those who don't speak it? Austin and I speak on the frequency several times a week and no matter what, he always remains professional. He is one heck of a pilot and friend. 

NewkkyN.jpgTm2oNvE.jpg yEdJtN2.jpg aU4s3Ys.jpg 

• Upvote 11

Always in our hearts AVQ1. Andre Roy. 

Air Traffic Controller New York TRACON

There's a lot to like about Austin; his commitment to the best in flight sims, his work with endangered animals, his tenacity and gumption in facing down patent trolls etc. He seems like he'd be a whole lot of fun to sit down with over a few beers.

However someone really needs to take him aside and give him some help with his wardrobe...

• Upvote 4

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I couldn’t agree more although he does have some style! As you can obviously see, his beautiful Lancair evolution sits pretty, but what you don’t see is the lovely Mercedes Benz to the left of the camera haha. 

He must be a delightful person to talk to... 

Looking forward for whatever 11.10 and following will bring us.

• Upvote 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

2 hours ago, jcomm said:

He must be a delightful person to talk to... 

Looking forward for whatever 11.10 and following will bring us.

Hey, I'm sure you both could have some great discussions about the moon and stars ;-)

• Upvote 7

57 minutes ago, tonywob said:

Hey, I'm sure you both could have some great discussions about the moon and stars ;-)

Yea, I had a TCAS alert more than once with the moon :)

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Glenn_C said:

Yea, I had a TCAS alert more than once with the moon :)

:laugh:

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Got a lot of time for Austin, chatted to him online once a few years back and he was good fun to talk to. 

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Well at least ya'll aren't sporting Carolina Gamecock gear.....hahahahahaha.  That gets two thumbs up!

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

Eheh,

he would trash my knowledge about the Moon / Earth physics.... an promise a fully detailed planet version for XP12 :-) preparing for the Mars exploration...

It's time to start really searching for alternatives so, Austin should probably bring back Mars for X-Plane....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

He's the kind of guy who could discuss the most mundane and commonplace topic and make it sound like the most exciting thing in the world.  I don't think I've ever seen anybody else with such infectious enthusiasm.

12 hours ago, SmokeDiddy said:

Well at least ya'll aren't sporting Carolina Gamecock gear.....hahahahahaha.  That gets two thumbs up!

LOL! What a win they had today! 

• Upvote 1

You were very lucky to meet him.He has a lot of charisma!I like people who assume what they are in all relaxation:cool:.after leaving P3D a few months, now I'm completely in love about XP11! I would like to thank him for that.I hope that XP will continue to show us its full potential in all its novelties.Thank you for sharing.

• Upvote 2

CORSAIR 4000 AIRFLOW (WHITE) / RYZEN 5800X3D / ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS / ARTIC LIQUID FREEZERII 240 / 32 GO DDR4 3200 KINGSTON FURY / MSI RTX4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC / KINGSTON NV1 NVME 2 TO / BE QUIET PURE POWER 11FM  1000W 80PLUS GOLD / SAMSUNG NEO QLED 43" 4K.

Very cool!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I met Bill Gates back in 1987 when he was only worth 1 billion, LOL.  He was extremely kind, modest and down to earth.  We spoke for only a few minutes, what I loved was the old, 60's era car he came in and his dress, jeans and a polo shirt.  Microsoft later gave me a free copy of Visual Basic when another rep came to my user's group in Napa.  Changed my life by launching my career in IT since employers respected that I had a basic knowledge of programming and the Windows API. 

I would love to meet Austin someday, I feel he singlehandedly kept simming alive during the dark ages after MS dropped out of the hobby.  XP11 is very real in its rendering and flight dynamics now.  I just feel so relaxed when I fly the 172 in that sim or the Cirrus.  It was a hefty download, since I installed all of the scenery.  But worth it.

John

• Upvote 1