Sign in to follow this  
GermanCaptain

HELP! Low fps

3 minutes ago, awf said:

Check also that maybe you have enabled HPET in your bios? disable it and try again....

What does it mean and where do I find it?

EDIT: just checked it: within FSX, my GPU usage is about 75% whereas in P3D it is already at 100%

If I remember correct Asus has enabled by default HPET and not an option in the bios to disable or enable the timer.

I  would first test with FSX and how the usage is and then go from there.

Have some ideas to try out but step by step....

André

Prepar3d v4 generate far more data as FSX ever could  and with your GPU which is on the low end side of things it will be difficult.

How many services have you running in the background on your Win 7 system?

What are the low settings you tested with? What if you disable everything and all sliders to the left and no traffic?

André

2 minutes ago, awf said:

Prepar3d v4 generate far more data as FSX ever could  and with your GPU which is on the low end side of things it will be difficult.

How many services have you running in the background on your Win 7 system?

What are the low settings you tested with? What if you disable everything and all sliders to the left and no traffic?

With all settings to minimum, I'm approx at 20 fps. All in all there are 81 Services running atm. But theoretically nothing concerning the GPU what seems to be the reason

17 minutes ago, GermanCaptain said:

With all settings to minimum, I'm approx at 20 fps. All in all there are 81 Services running atm. But theoretically nothing concerning the GPU what seems to be the reason

Your card will struggle to keep up and when using still a CPU intensive simulator you can create some headroom via tweaking your O/S.

I used to have 38 services on Win 7 64 bit Pro running in the background when starting P3D or FSX

What screen resolution are you running?

Did you turn off dynamic 3d autogen vegetation?

Post your Prepar3D.cfg I will edit that one, for a starting point based on your information...

André

Also, what do you have AI set at?  I had to throttle mine to 25 pct, seemed to be the sweet spot.  That was the only performance hit I experienced with P3dv4, still plenty of traffic flying around.  My graphics card is not high on RAM, only 3GB.  But the sim has never complained and runs photoreal scenery without blurries.  P3d likes a fast cpu, my FSX got by with a 2.3 GHZ cpu but now I am running with a 3.6 GHZ cpu, makes a world of difference.  I also don't run autogen since I have the photoreal scenery, which covers all of the southwest US.  There's quite a variety of systems represented in the forums, most of the modern ones cope with P3d quite well.  My Nvidia card is a 1060, not as robust as a 1080 but it does the job not only on P3d, but also XP11 which is maxed out slider wise, including autogen and AI.  I also have other 3d gaming apps, like No Limits Coaster sim, that run quite well.  Key thing is not to lose hope, those here will help you with your .cfg settings.

John

5 hours ago, awf said:

Your card will struggle to keep up and when using still a CPU intensive simulator you can create some headroom via tweaking your O/S.

I used to have 38 services on Win 7 64 bit Pro running in the background when starting P3D or FSX

What screen resolution are you running?

Did you turn off dynamic 3d autogen vegetation?

Post your Prepar3D.cfg I will edit that one, for a starting point based on your information...

my last bet was to use the display resolution someone posted in this thread earlier...no effect

Where shall I send the .cfg? Because it may be too long and inappropriate to simply copy it into the comments.

20 minutes ago, Cactus521 said:

Also, what do you have AI set at?  I had to throttle mine to 25 pct, seemed to be the sweet spot.  That was the only performance hit I experienced with P3dv4, still plenty of traffic flying around.  My graphics card is not high on RAM, only 3GB.  But the sim has never complained and runs photoreal scenery without blurries.  P3d likes a fast cpu, my FSX got by with a 2.3 GHZ cpu but now I am running with a 3.6 GHZ cpu, makes a world of difference.  I also don't run autogen since I have the photoreal scenery, which covers all of the southwest US.  There's quite a variety of systems represented in the forums, most of the modern ones cope with P3d quite well.  My Nvidia card is a 1060, not as robust as a 1080 but it does the job not only on P3d, but also XP11 which is maxed out slider wise, including autogen and AI.  I also have other 3d gaming apps, like No Limits Coaster sim, that run quite well.  Key thing is not to lose hope, those here will help you with your .cfg settings.

John

For any concerns of Dynamic content like vegetation, lighting or AI traffic: I already switched it off.

I've been flying FSX for the last 5 years...I know the effects dynamic objects like AI have on the performance.

17 minutes ago, GermanCaptain said:

my last bet was to use the display resolution someone posted in this thread earlier...no effect

Where shall I send the .cfg? Because it may be too long and inappropriate to simply copy it into the comments.

For any concerns of Dynamic content like vegetation, lighting or AI traffic: I already switched it off.

I've been flying FSX for the last 5 years...I know the effects dynamic objects like AI have on the performance.

I don't know if you're using the VGA that comes with the motherboard or not.  If so it will have challenges with P3d, since P3d is rendering more than FSX.  Your motherboard does have a PCI Express slot so an upgrade is possible.  I'd wait though to see if someone comes up with a solution.  Also don't know what your cpu speed is.  P3d still demands a lot of cpu, more so than FSX.  However with sliders minimum your performance should at least equal FSX.

It's hard to determine performance issues, some members here have systems that are slightly better than mine, yet they get worse performance.  When I first loaded P3d, it chose very conservative slider settings.  I eased mine to the right to set them up similar to what I had on FSX on my old system.  I did find that max AA impacted performance, so I slid back to 4X.  However my aniso filtering is maxed which makes a difference when rendering photoreal scenery in the distance.  I have not tweaked my Nvidia settings since my other programs expect the default settings and I am too lazy to set up individual profiles.  On my last system, I tweaked my Nvidia settings to the delight of FSX, however Trainsim said no by giving me a split screen, LOL.  After I set up a profile for Trainsim it was happy again.

A Lockheed Martin rep recommended I increase my LOD settings but I chose to stay at the default, since the higher settings can chew up memory and cause OOM errors.  So far, as is, my P3d has been extremely stable, more so than FSX which would CTD after every ten hours of flying or so, probably caused by scenery errors.  I fly mostly 1-2 hour GA VFR flights, since the heavy iron generally taxes the sim more, at least true with payware.  Anyway I hope you find help here, maybe someone with similar specs will be able to help.

I also run Windows 10, was preinstalled on my system when I bought it a few weeks' back.

John