Sign in to follow this  
RKillins

Optimizing Graphics Of New Install

Hi Folks,

Admittingly, I am overwhelmed with all the reading involved, from so many different sources, and from so many different setups. Combining this with having different applications needing unique settings, and CFG files needing specific tweaks, to be set up someone that is foreign to the terms is a very discomforting feeling for someone who just simply wants to enjoy flying in a beautifully represented environment.

I have FSX with Acceleration, with Steve's DX10 Fixer v3.3 and I am looking for help, yeah ... some hand holding maybe ... to get me back into the virtual air after a long absence during a reinstallation. I embarked on my own, but soon found myself all over the internet being challenged with adapting other configurations of different system specs and outdated software to my own. Self educating on knowing how to use, and in what order, Nvidia Inspector, FSX settings and configuration entries, DX10 settings leaves me just walking away after a few minutes.

I am very appreciative of people who share their knowledge as for some a question like this is just everyday common knowledge. Akin to taking for granted someone needing to tie their shoes for the first time. But, like tying shoes for the first time, it can be daunting but made easier by someone willing to help. I would be willing to pay a modest fee (discuss privately please) to get me over this challenge.

My system specs ...

Intel core i7 6700K CPU (4.0 Mhz)
Gigabyte z170XP-SLI-CF MB
16GB DDR4 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660ti GPU with three 23" monitors connected (as one monitor) via Nvidia Surrond to result in a resolution of 5760x1080x32, current driver
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit SP1, fully updated
FSX w/ Acceleration
Steves DX10 Fixer 
Active Sky Next
REX4
FTX Global

Thank you in advance to those respecting my situation and offering support. I have great faith and admiration of those passionate and familiar with how technology and FSX interact.

RM Killins

Search for The DX10 How To Guide NZ in any browser and you'll find a superb guide which takes you through the settings you are asking about. When read alongside Steve's excellent user manual you should get a really good understanding of what's appropriate for your system.

It is worth the effort - the Fixer is a superb piece of software.

Hope this helps, Rupert 

Best regards

Rupert

Hi Rupert .... thank you for your reply.

Yes ... I agree, the DX10 How To Guide is a must have and I have been working with it for a few days now. I'm still plugging away, but I'm afraid that I may be ripping myself off by my ignorance on the subject by not doing all I could do.

In part, I don't know what to expect, what each setting does for the overall quality (ie if I change something where will I notice a difference), or what problems to watch for based on these settings (ie I hear terms like jaggies, tearing, artifacts, blurries, shimmering etc as being deficiencies adjustable by proper settings, but I don't even know what those are LOL to atch for them LOL)

Everytime I did deeper into the meaning of something new, or research a specific setting, I get bogged down in posts and blogs and technical articles that are outdated, irrelevant to my setup ro just plain wrong or I'm unable to find equivalent setting in updated versions of the software I'm using.

I'm trying!

RM Killins

Ok, I understand where you  are and was there myself a while ago. Don't get distracted by "is this right?" but stay with "does it looks good?" I use the default settings on almost everything except the water shaders and, since I bought Cloud Shadows, the cloud shadow strength over water. Honestly though, these are just personal preferences. The DX10 Fixer is that rare piece of software which is so successful in how it works that it doesn't need a lot of adjustment. Remember that Steve has also offered 4 profiles as part of the install - hugely helpful when trying to see what differences each setting might make.

If you want to know more about tearing, jaggies etc then there's a lot on NVidia's website which might help: descriptions of all of these graphical anomolies and how they might be resolved through various NVidia driver settings.

You'll get there!

Best regards

Rupert