Sign in to follow this  
1290SASRider

Scenery database/index regeneration on startup

Lately I've noticed that P3Dv4 goes through the motions of "building database for new scenery files..." and occasionally "generating indexes...." each time I start the program even though I haven't actually added any new scenery.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  The last new scenery I added was Mega Airport Frankfurt v 2.0 Professional.

Thanks for your attention!

David Rosenblum

Atlas Air Boeing 767 Captain; previously a Boeing 747-400/-8 First Officer

Jetline Gravity GTX | Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 motherboard | i7 8700K overclocked to 5 GHz | 32GB 3 GHz Corsair DDR4 SDRAM | 11GB GTX 1080 Ti | 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 SSD | 2TB WD Black 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Dual Stage Liquid Cooling | 3 Dell S2716DG G-Sync monitors on Jestik Arc stand | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Logitech G Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, Throttles and Pedals

I have noticed that too, but not on every restart. I write it off to P3D doing some housework when it shuts down (properly) that triggers a database rebuild. Have not noticed anything corrupted or missing.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

2 hours ago, FLHXRider said:

Lately I've noticed that P3Dv4 goes through the motions of "building database for new scenery files..." and occasionally "generating indexes...." each time I start the program even though I haven't actually added any new scenery.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  The last new scenery I added was Mega Airport Frankfurt v 2.0 Professional.

Thanks for your attention!

Do you have FTX Central installed for ORBX products? I had the same issue. I discovered it was caused by my swapping of my entries around in my P3D v4 scenery library which put them "out of synch" with my FTX Central settings. Every time I then opened FTX Central, it would swap the order back causing the issue that you describe (a constant battle between FTX Central and P3D v4 scenery library!). Try setting them up to match one another in priorities if this is the case.

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

I too experience this phenomenon with every launch even though I've made no changes to my scenery library and haven't opened FTX Central. But no downside that I can see except for a loss of a second or two in the launch.

5 hours ago, Peter Webber said:

Do you have FTX Central installed for ORBX products? I had the same issue. I discovered it was caused by my swapping of my entries around in my P3D v4 scenery library which put them "out of synch" with my FTX Central settings. Every time I then opened FTX Central, it would swap the order back causing the issue that you describe (a constant battle between FTX Central and P3D v4 scenery library!). Try setting them up to match one another in priorities if this is the case.

I do have FTX Central installed though I have not opened it recently. So are you telling me FTX keeps a scenery library index separate from P3D?  If so how would I access it?

David Rosenblum

Atlas Air Boeing 767 Captain; previously a Boeing 747-400/-8 First Officer

Jetline Gravity GTX | Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 motherboard | i7 8700K overclocked to 5 GHz | 32GB 3 GHz Corsair DDR4 SDRAM | 11GB GTX 1080 Ti | 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 SSD | 2TB WD Black 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Dual Stage Liquid Cooling | 3 Dell S2716DG G-Sync monitors on Jestik Arc stand | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Logitech G Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, Throttles and Pedals

Settings within FTX Central allow you to set insertion points for ORBX scenery. If you then go to your sim library and change things around, when re-opening Central, it will re-arrange back to the preset insertion settings. This was causing the issue which you describe with me...this is my understanding...

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

This scenery data base building "thing" happens, as explained, when you use FTX Central together with addon sceneries added via the add-on.xml method without a layer specified being below the ORBX stuff. 

Example: FTX Central puts all ORBX sceneries on top of the scenery library, if I remember correctly with ORBX Libraries on top. Now, if you have a scenery using the add-on.xml method without a layer specified (or with a layer in the middle of the ORBX stuff), each FTX Central start puts the ORBX stuff again on top resulting in a scenery database rebuild. The next time you fire up P3D, the sim reads the add-on.xml and puts the sceneries on top that do not have a layer specified and guess what, the scenery database is rebuilt. And so on. Solution: find out, which layer is the layer just below the ORBX stuff and change the add-on.xml accordingly, e.g. add a line where you specify a layer below the ORBX stuff. Like this, nothing will be rearranged, neither when you fire up FTX Central nor when firing up your sim.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS