Sign in to follow this  
honanhal

Speech engine reverses "On" and "armed"

Hi Bryan,

I'm having a bit of a show-stopping issue with the P3D v4 version of the NGX FS2Crew. The engine hears me saying "on" as "armed" and vice versa. I never had this issue in the FSX version. I've run the speech engine single word training as suggested in the manual repeatedly -- no change. It's nearly 100 percent reliable in both directions. Straight up switched. I can  get through checklists by saying "set and checked" instead of "on," but I'm not very happy with that workaround.

I've recorded my voice to see if there's an audible problem with the USB headset microphone, and there isn't. Crystal clear recording, difference between the two words is very clear.

I should mention I have an American accent, so that's not the problem.

Ideas? Is there a way to reset the speech engine to square one and see if it unlearns this bad habit?

Thanks,

James

17 hours ago, byork said:

Hi James,

Try deleting your "Voice Profile" on the Speech Recognizer Control Page, then creating a new one and re-training your voice.

Cheers,

Thanks, Bryan. I'll give that a try and reporbut back.

James

No change after creating a new profile and running the speech training from scratch. When I say "on," the engine is hearing "armed". I tested it in windows to see what is was dictating. It wasn't perfect, but it never heard "armed" when I said "on" (it did hear "one" a couple of times). Mostly it registered it correctly.

James

What part of the states are you from?  Try saying "on" with like a Chicago accent.  Speak as clearly as you can, like a newscaster.

Generally with standard American accidents, you should be getting near perfect speech recognition results.  I get around 95 percent accuracy.  

I'm from Los Angeles. People from California don't usually think they have an accent. In any case, it's pretty neutral.

I have no problem with any other phrases or words, and until I switched to P3D v4 I wasn't having any problems with these words, either. I am getting better than 95% accuracy with literally everything else.

I've run the speech training repeatedly. What's especially frustrating is that the FS2Crew engine within P3D interprets me saying "on" as "armed" 100% of the time, even though the Windows speech engine doesn't seem to do that. Is there any way to bias it so that it will interpret "arm" as "on"? I can live without it being able to hear "arm" or "armed," but "on" is a vitally important word...

James

That's weird.

You can try this method to manually train "on".

But realistically, you shouldn't have to do that, since you said it was working fine before and only started when you switched to P3D V4.

Long shot: Try going into your P3D V4 Options - Sound menu.  Ensure "voice capture device" is set to default.

19 hours ago, byork said:

Long shot: Try going into your P3D V4 Options - Sound menu.  Ensure "voice capture device" is set to default.

Just checked. It was already set to default.

I've tried running the "add a word to the speech dictionary" thing repeatedly. I have a really hard time getting it to recognize the single word phrase when I speak it, but when it eventually works it doesn't seem to change anything.

Any other ideas? I'm open to the idea that it's a problem with the headset, but like I said, when I record myself speaking it's crystal clear, no issues audible.

James

Bryan,

Sorry for the long delay in replying. It's been a very busy week at work and I didn't have any time to test anything.

I don't have another headset to try it with, sadly, and to be honest I don't really want to replace this one, which has been generally excellent (and has now been discontinued).

I tried changing the mic sensitivity. No change in result.

One thing I did try. As I mentioned, the speech engine within P3D hears me saying "on" as "armed" or "arm" every single time. What's strange is that here's what the windows speech recognition engine is hearing -- this test was me repeating the word "on" over and over again:

Armed on one arm on one one on one a limb arm on one

So obviously, while it's not understanding me perfectly or consistently, it's hearing "on" or even "one" (both of which I know are words in FS2crew's vocabulary) at least as much as "armed" or "arm." But in all my testing of this over the past couple weeks, I have not succeeded in getting the FS2Crew engine to hear me say "on" a single time.

Really welcome any other possible fixes either directed at the raw headset input that the Windows speech engine is hearing or (perhaps more fruitfully) at the way the FS2Crew interpreter is processing that input.

Thanks,
James

Hi James,

You and I would have probably the same accent, but I can say "on" till the cows come home and it'll show up in the green bar as you can see below.

on.PNG

I'm not sure what more I can suggest.  You may just have stick with the backup phrase: "'Set and Checked".

Bryan, can you recommend a USB headset you use and like? Logitech discontinued their H530 and the choices seem to now fall into two camps: tiny flimsy ones (some with headphones only on one side!) that all seem to have terrible headphone sound quality (made for phone operators, obviously), and ridiculous looking "gaming" headsets. Welcome a recommendation!

James

Well, I picked up an LX-3000. Plugged it in, fired up P3D, and...same exact result. "Armed," "armed," armed."

Beyond frustrated here.

James