Sign in to follow this  
top1nice1sorted

Scenery Library will not add my add on scenery

I have recently re-installed FSX and most of my add-ons but for some reason the scenery library has started to reject any more scenery that I manually add. Scenery that is automatically added is fine but not the case with manually added scenery. I have never had this before. I am following the correct method posted in 100's of threads but it still wont stay in the library. First I will drag or copy the folders into the add-on scenery folder, then fire up MS-FSX (installed onto my D drive not C) and go into the scenery  library and, click the add scenery tab and locate the scenery, click on the scenery then click on the white part of the box and click ok. I can then see it in the library but when I come out and return to the menu I go back into the scenery library and its disappeared. Please can anyone provided a solution to this.

Many thanks!

Hi,

I would check your scenery priority and make sure they have sequential numbers. If there's gap and a missing number potentially other scenery may not show up.

Are there any errors associated with the library when you start FSX?

Last try, moving your add-on files for the problematic airport/region to a folder other than FSX Add-on scenery folder and then add the add it in using the FSX Library and point the FSX Library to this new folder location. See if it appears in the FSX Library.

Regards

Mark

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

Not sure what the problem is, however Scenery Config Editor may be of some help. I use it whenever I install new scenery. Link in the description.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Is your scenery still visible in FSX even though it doesn't seem to be present in the scenery library?

Bill

Hi Mark and thanks for the reply. I checked and there are no missing numbers and they all run in sequence too. There are no errors associated with the library when I start FSX either. I have already tried adding from a new library too and that doesn't seem to work either. :dry:

Bill thanks for your reply also. The scenery is not loading in the game either. I am clueless as to what's going on. Never had this before.

I know there is a limit to the scenery library, you might be able to get around it by moving the bgl's and textures to a folder that is recognized by the sim, as long as they have commonality with the other files there.  I keep my add-on scenery on a separate partition, below is a typical entry for photoreal, AFCAD and airport scenery:

[Area.132]
Title=Southwest Arizona Megascenery
Local=D:\MegasceneryEarth\Southwest\Arizona
Layer=132
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

Probably the same as yours, but maybe you'll spot a difference that could help.  In the example above below the Arizona folder, the scenery folder contains the photoreal scenery and AFCAD's, the texture folder is empty or in my case, removed since it isn't needed.

John

I'm watching this as it is one of those 17 year mysteries and I don't recall seeing this problem before.  I do know that if you do not install the scenery properly in your Addon Scenery folder, you could link it up successfully but the scenery will not appear because it was not installed properly.  I never use the Addon Scenery Folder anymore and always set up a folder with the scenery name (i.e., KDCA), then under that I will set up Scenery/Texture folders.  Some sceneries do not work properly if there's a texture folder with nothing in it.  They like just the name of the Scenery - KDCA and then Scenery under that where the .bgl's go.  I can install this scenery on any Drive and then link it up with the SceneryConfigEditor or go inside of FSX and add it to the Library as the OP had done.

In the Addon Scenery folder you really do not need a name of the scenery and just put the scenery (.bgl's) in the Addon Scenery/Scenery folder.  In this case I do not have to add the scenery to the Library as the Addon Scenery folder is already in the Library.  I just go fly.  But, if you throw several different sceneries into the Addon Scenery/Scenery folder, you'll run the risk as to what scenery file belongs to what scenery.  But you can do that and Microsoft made it super easy for one to just throw all of their scenery into the Addon Scenery/Scenery/Texture folders and go fly.  But, if you want to layer the scenery properly in the Scenery Library that would not be possible.

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

56 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

I'm watching

Wow Jim, you are on fire today - continued push to help and support all of us - you're the best!

We can reduce the number of entries in the scenery.cfg if we can easily convert several sceneries collected under one folder to become just one section of the cfg reducing the number of entries required.

• Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Since day one of FSX, the Scenery Library has a bug where it will not add folders to the scenery.cfg. I think the workaround is selecting the folder containing "scenery" and "texture" and then right clicking the window to add it to the .cfg.

Moot point though, since SceneryConfigEditor is infinitely more flexible then the library editor in FSX. Been using it for ages and can't live without it (even though it requires Java to run).

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/

• Upvote 1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

I always manually update my scenery.cfg since I like the scenery to be ready before I start the sim.  I have a shortcut to it in my sims folder for easy access.  When I add a new entry, I just copy and paste from the previous one, update the scenery number, and update the path to the new scenery.  When FS starts, it rebuilds the scenery indexes straight away, a sure sign that it has seen the new scenery and recognized the entry in the scenery.cfg.   I used this method to add the MSE entries, since the MSE installer did not update the .cfg file.

John

Sometimes problems can emerge due to relative paths used in those sections for added scenery, changing to full paths can prove more reliable in odd cases.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

21 hours ago, Cactus521 said:

I know there is a limit to the scenery library,

I am curious if anyone knows what that limit is? I am asking because I already have 1168 entries in my scenery library and, to date, I have not had any problems adding more. Clearly if there is a limit then at some stage I should stop buying scenery at some stage!

Bill

Just now, scianoir said:

I am curious if anyone know what that limit is? I am asking because I already have 1168 entries in my scenery library and, to date, I have not had any problems adding more. Clearly if there is a limit then at some stage I should stop buying more scenery!

Bill

Your number of entries certainly exceeds my guess, which would have been 255 entries.  You certainly have a lot of scenery, LOL!  I have only a handful of additions, just photoreal scenery and some AFCADS.  I don't think I've ever gone above 140 in all my years of simming.  I don't add airports, mainly because you only see them when you taxi.  But I certainly have seen some wonderful airport add-ons posted in the screenshots forum.

John