Sign in to follow this  
top1nice1sorted

Scenery Library will not add my add on scenery

Well I'm fairly sure FS9 would allow almost 1000 scenery library entries before things started going weird and I assumed FSX might allow more but there is absolutely no basis for that assumption!

By the way if you hear of any treatment for FSX addon addiction John, please  let me know LOL!

Bill

37 minutes ago, scianoir said:

Well I'm fairly sure FS9 would allow almost 1000 scenery library entries before things started going weird and I assumed FSX might allow more but there is absolutely no basis for that assumption!

By the way if you hear of any treatment for FSX addon addiction John, please  let me know LOL!

Bill

When it comes to aircraft, I am in trouble LOL.  Without Add-ons the sim world would be completely different.  Kudos to these third party developers that slave away on what they do.  It took me an eternity to write my add-ons for FSX, like Landclass Assistant or my Ultralight Trike.  CAD design is tough and I used FSDS2 which had its quirks, it took me months to refine my trike, and I hand coded the xml gauges by reading how-tos in forum posts.  It was also a process rendering my Colorado scenery, can't recall how many hours it took to download, but it was close to 48.  I think it was great that the sim makers opened up their products for third party add-ons, and what we see today is just amazing, almost incomprehensible the hours of work that have gone into such aircraft and scenery.

I hope the payware developers can continue to profit from our interest in the hobby, I don't know if their work is their main income, but I am happy to support their efforts when they bring wanted products onboard.  Before Carenado made the Mirage I emailed them, asking them if they would make it.  I don't know if that email made a difference, but lo and behold they came out with the Mirage.  The developers do listen, and as long as you text politely about their products, they will do what they can.  Just Flight is another add-on maker that listened.  When I pointed out to them that they had the trim tabs reversed on their Duchess, they immediately came up with a global patch and simultaneously responded to my email.  Sadly I don't have the Duchess for P3d, but I enjoyed it in FS9 and FSX.

Back to the scenery library issue, hopefully the OP will find a solution here.  I believe it's a pathing issue or possibly a scenery order issue.  Scenery issues are almost always resolved by back tracking and manual tweaking of the .cfg file.

John

Yes it would be nice to get some feedback on this issue from the OP. We don't know how many scenery addons he has or if he has hit some sort of scenery library limit but, I agree, it is more likely to be an issue with pathways in the scenery cfg.

I use SimStarterNG to manipulate my active scenery areas in FSX and, like my FSX scenery cfg the SimStarter Scenery Configurator has 1,168 entries. Curiously if I open the drop down scenery library within FSX it has just 1,099 entries, although as far as I can see no scenery areas are missing! Another one of those FSX mysteries I guess!

On the subject of aircraft addons, I am somewhat addicted to those too (!) but really should restrain myself now that I am retired and on a more restricted budget! Now if someone could only produce a Helio Courier......perhaps I should drop an email to one of the developers too!

Bill

What's unusual about this problem is the automatic scenery installers are apparently working according to the OP but the manual process to add scenery is not.

Another suggestion:Post your scenery.cfg file here and maybe we can look at it. indicate the scenery that is problematic. Make sure you select the right one as there are backup copies of this file in other folders. The correct one can be found in the path below.

Possibly (outside chance), it could be a corrupt scenery.dat file in which case deleting all the FileList.dat files in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\SceneryIndexes\. They will be rebuilt next time you run FSX or alternatively if you made a back up of your cfg files use an older scenery.cfg file.

Note: Others have complained about their scenery.cfg entries are suddenly missing all titles and no other solution has been given apart from re-install FSX. In this case though it appears only manual adding of scenery is not taking place. Weird!

This sounds like permissions issues when manually adding scenery. What happens if you run FSX as an Administrator and edit the FSX Scenery Library?

Regards

Mark

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

I just somehow added scenery manually for first time, and only because it was necessary to run the new add-on mission. It literally took me 3 days of messing with the area on FSX settings where its to be done, and it was pure luck that I did it, not even sure which entry file it took.

There seems to be some good advice by some folks here regarding .cfg editors, although I'm hesitant to try them because I don't know enough about computer yet. Hope you got everything working on your end, best of luck.