Sign in to follow this  
Demious

How to update Z170 BIOS for Kaby Lake?

Yesterday I've got the components for my new PC delivered and after a couple of hours I was ready to fire it up, but it wont start. The lights go on, the fans start to spin, but that's all. After testing components (which all seem to be fine) and several hours of Googling, I found what the problem is: The Z170 BIOS, on motherboards that are sold to work with Kaby Lake CPUs, need a BIOS update before it will work.

From what I can find, I would need a Skylake CPU to do the update and then switch to the Kaby Lake, but who is gonna spend a couple of 100 bucks for a CPU that will be replaced after 5 minutes of use? I dont see this as a reasonable solution, to be honest.

Can someone help me out, or point me to an explanation, or instructions on how to get this problem fixed without buying an extra CPU that will be a waste of money afterwards?

Cheers!

Maarten

From what I understand, you MUST update BIOS first using Skylake. Would it not be better just to go for the Z270 board? Seems a bit of a "Catch 22" but my advice would be to swap the Z170 for Z270.

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Im already over budget and I already need to swap out an HDD for an SSD (I thought I already had one in my old PC, but I forgot I already used that one for the PC I build for my girlfriend, couple of months ago :P ). If it would be just a couple of bucks... But I dont have another 60 (or 140) euros to spend...

Cheers!

Maarten

If you are stuck buy a cheap 2nd hand celeron cpu for doing the upgrade

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427