Sign in to follow this  
mike_b31

Running P3D V3 scenery in FSX SE

Hello guys,

I've recently bought this (http://secure.simmarket.com/mk-studios-fuerteventura-2017-p3d.phtml) scenery from the MK and I was wondering if it's possible to run it in FSX SE. It's the same 32 bit environment so I suppose it could work, right?
Sadly more and more developers stop to support FSX. 

I have PMDG MD11 there which I love to fly and that's the only reason I keep my FSX. As for the other addons I can use P3D this never received an update... 

Do any of you have experience with running P3D scenery under FSX?

Cheers,
Mike 

• Like 1

I don't have FSX anymore, I think scenery problems tend to be the other way around, where some FSX sceneries don't work with P3d.  Before I installed MSE in P3d I tried loading the Reno scenery for FSX here at Avsim, and only some buildings appeared.  The only thing I can suggest is you try it, you can always uninstall if something doesn't work right.  I have rendered scenery for P3d using the most recent resample.exe, using the same process I used for FSX, and I had no issues.  I have also installed FSX Afcads in P3d with no issues.  I think most scenery issues are related to the textures used in the scenery, not the bgl's themselves.

John

I know FSDT/FlightBeam scenery made for P3DV3 and V4 will not work in FSX as they have an installer for also installing it into FSX or FSX-SE if I want it (mainly because they have to make special entries in the dll.xml, exe.xml and other places).  So I cannot link the scenery I installed in P3DV4 into my FSX (boxed version).  I would not expect it to work in FSX-SE as the installer probably does not have the option to install it in FSX-SE (or FSX).  If you don't have P3Dv3 or 4, you won't be able to install it as the installer won't be able to find either sim unless you try to fake out the installers.  If you can fake the installers and install it in P3Dv3 or V4, you should be able to read the scenery also in FSX-SE by manually installing it but how it will look or work is iffy.  Then you also have a license agreement with the company when you purchase it and perhaps the scenery will not be activated unless it sees P3D3 or v4.  You have a tough decision to make.  That link you provided to the store where you can purchase it immediately (well, everyone who follows the link can too!!) and also get a great look at the product does not provide any information whatsoever other than it is only developed for P3Dv3 or v4.  I wonder if you went to their forums, signed up, and then asked there if that would answer your question(s).  I almost did but then you can see all the discussions about the product so think I'll wait until more people have bought the product and discussions about FSX-SE begin.  If I liked the product (and right now not very excited about the product), I would go to their forums and demand an FSX version!  It is very strange they would leave FSX or FSX-SE out of the installer but maybe there are some special effects or some eye-candy inherent with P3DV3 or v4. 

It's brand new though having just been released so I suspect you'll find an answer to your question as soon as someone purchases it and tries it out with P3DV3 or 4.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

5 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

I know FSDT/FlightBeam scenery made for P3DV3 and V4 will not work in FSX as they have an installer for also installing it into FSX or FSX-SE if I want it (mainly because they have to make special entries in the dll.xml, exe.xml and other places).  So I cannot link the scenery I installed in P3DV4 into my FSX (boxed version).  I would not expect it to work in FSX-SE as the installer probably does not have the option to install it in FSX-SE (or FSX).  If you don't have P3Dv3 or 4, you won't be able to install it as the installer won't be able to find either sim unless you try to fake out the installers.  If you can fake the installers and install it in P3Dv3 or V4, you should be able to read the scenery also in FSX-SE by manually installing it but how it will look or work is iffy.  Then you also have a license agreement with the company when you purchase it and perhaps the scenery will not be activated unless it sees P3D3 or v4.  You have a tough decision to make.  That link you provided to the store where you can purchase it immediately (well, everyone who follows the link can too!!) and also get a great look at the product does not provide any information whatsoever other than it is only developed for P3Dv3 or v4.  I wonder if you went to their forums, signed up, and then asked there if that would answer your question(s).  I almost did but then you can see all the discussions about the product so think I'll wait until more people have bought the product and discussions about FSX-SE begin.  If I liked the product (and right now not very excited about the product), I would go to their forums and demand an FSX version!  It is very strange they would leave FSX or FSX-SE out of the installer but maybe there are some special effects or some eye-candy inherent with P3DV3 or v4. 

It's brand new though having just been released so I suspect you'll find an answer to your question as soon as someone purchases it and tries it out with P3DV3 or 4.

Yes, I should have added that the installers sometimes search for the sim's location either thru the registry or scanning the path.  Some installers just drop the scenery where you want it and don't even detect the sim.  Megascenery Earth was like that, I just dropped their scenery onto my open data partition and I manually added the scenery entries to my .cfg file.  All their executables do is unzip the files to a folder you select.  But some installers are more picky, per the license.

John

For me, FSTweaks, the maker of the MSE installer, asks where I want to install the product and for what sim.  I have to enter either FSX or P3D.  Then, at the end of the installation they want to add the entry into my scenery.cfg.  I have none of my MSE scenery for P3Dv4 in the scenery.cfg.  I made add-on.xml's for each.  Only problem with that is you cannot enable/disable the scenery while running the sim as the option for enabling/disabling add-ons inside of P3DV4 requires you to exit then restart the sim.  Bummer.

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I usually don't mind about developers dropping support for FSX, as the truth is... it's old. However there're still some great products available for it, like mentioned MD11 or for example J41. 

So I dropped an email to them and got answered quickly. Not sure if I can just paste it here, but I'll describe it shortly. 

The scenery was developed using some new techniques for ground polygons and way above some polygon limits known for fsx. So making it fsx compatible would require remodeling and retexturing big part of the objects present there. What I've also heard is that making addon compatible with the old sim requires some old fs2002 sdk methods (?). I've done some research to check for it and it's true. There's some problem with layering that was solved in P3D V2. So with X version you have to go way back (15 years, lol) to develop. I've also found this topic: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,16116.0.htm

Since I don't want to brake any agreements or get my license inactive (If that can happen?) I'll just leave it as it is.

However it's really nice piece of art when you fly to Fuerteventura in P3D V4. I can recommend the scenery definitely, if it also get some FSX support in future I'll give it a solid 5/5.

Kind regards,
Mike

• Upvote 1

I just saw a video advertising this product for P3Dv4 and the scenery really looks nice (earlier I had said I was not excited about the product) but all I saw was some images).

Submit News to AVSIM