Sign in to follow this  
GeoSkyman

CPU cooler upgrade

Hi, I want to know if someone can help me understand if a strong cooler has any privileges to the performance of p3d4? Of course to the operation of cpu, but is it worth to upgrade for the p3d4? Please advise and give me your recommendations.

Geo

Hi Geo,

This is worth only if you are going to overclock your CPU, overclocking is totally worth for PDV4.

I use water-cooled components to be able to OC as much as possible, PD3V4 works better with CPUs running at 4.5 Ghz or more, I can run mine at 4.8 Ghz during winter and 4.6Ghz during summer.

Note that you can also OC your video card giving you an extra hump, but with the current version of prepar 3D, CPU is still more important.

The next is your hard drive, SSD is key but the best is having a .M2 SSD drive.

All the best,

Simbol 

Simpol, thank you so much for your informations. My CPU is 4.0Ghz max 4.2 GHz overclocked. I’m happy with this situation but I want to change my cooler for that reason. Something strange is happening which I’m very surprised with.

i have connected to my GPU 1080 ti 3 monitors. My main is 49 inches 4k tv and the 2 other 27 inch HD monitors.

Using PMDG 737-800 staring the flight in a very dense scenery with 30 FPS. While I open for example the ATC window or an outside view of the aircraft and undock it  my fps increase to 95 even 118.

can you believe it? My sim settings are nearly on it’s highest.

i never imagine such a high smooth performance while most of the simmers complains for low fps.

Geo

Ti models are great as they have a lot of RAM and power, also I am sure you are not using Nvidia Inspector which tend to do damage to performance when people enable settings don't fully understand, especially with Dynamic lighting enabled.

Enjoy your sim experience.

Regards 

Simbol 

Thank you very much same to you! No need for nv inspector, thanks to 1080 ti everything is so realistic and great!

Regards,

Geo

On 2017. 9. 25. at 0:57 AM, georgiosgiannoukos said:

Hi, I want to know if someone can help me understand if a strong cooler has any privileges to the performance of p3d4? Of course to the operation of cpu, but is it worth to upgrade for the p3d4? Please advise and give me your recommendations.

Geo

I am not sure if you can get these coolers below, but, I strongly check out 

below  they are both  ultra quiet and I heard some says, they performs almost similar and identical to liquid coolers.  

Thermolab Trinity White LED

Thermalalright macho Rev . B 

these coolers are somewhere between max rpm 1400~1500rpm.  idle is 600rpm..  

when I run P3D, it normally shows around 40 degrees, max 60 degrees. 

Simbol, the thing is that I'm not able to OC my CPU either my GPU

mine is intel core i7 6700k quad-core skylake 4x4ghz turbo 4.2ghz

my GPU is NV 1080ti

1 hour ago, georgiosgiannoukos said:

Simbol, the thing is that I'm not able to OC my CPU either my GPU

mine is intel core i7 6700k quad-core skylake 4x4ghz turbo 4.2ghz

my GPU is NV 1080ti

Hi,

I don't know why you wouldn't be able to OC a 6700K - the "K" means you can OC it... Perhaps it's you MOBO ?

I did a bunch of research on my build and "Noctua" seems to be one of the best "Air" coolers out there - had better performance numbers than some of the liquid systems...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Scott, my English are not so good, sorry, not able I mean, I don’t know how to OC my CPU and also my GPU, wish I could and I may get better performance for p3d.

Is it difficult and is any risk?

george

If your not up on OC then this is were a good motherboard can pay off were you can overclock with the click of a mouse button.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Hi G...

No worries - we all try to help and as someone who only speaks fluent English - I applaud your efforts with multiple languages...

Best bet - is start reading the manual on your motherboard and figure out how to overclock it - as that's where the settings you need to modify are - you need to get into the motherboard BIOS... Gigabyte which I have used through several builds makes it as simple as changing one setting to OC a CPU... I'm still running an old 2700K which I OC to 4.7Ghz and it's been running like that for 5 years...

So - once you figure out how to OC and you want to go forward with it - if you're running a stock cooler - you need to choose something better... The Noctua coolers are very large so you want to insure you have proper space inside your case... Here is the Noctua I prefer and what I'm including in a build I have planned for this year:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9PV3Y62116

While OC does offer some risk that you could overheat your CPU - the CPU does have safety precautions built in to shutdown the CPU when over temperature conditions are detected - not that you want to rely on that... You want to monitor temps while testing OC... 

Perhaps you can find YouTube videos in your native language that can better explain how to OC a computer and things you need to watch out for ???

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Scott, thank you very much for the effort, I appreciate. I will try and read the manual and see what I can do.

thank you

• Upvote 1

On 9/24/2017 at 10:36 AM, georgiosgiannoukos said:

My CPU is 4.0Ghz max 4.2 GHz overclocked. I’m happy with this situation but I want to change my cooler for that reason. Something strange is happening which I’m very surprised with.

Using PMDG 737-800 staring the flight in a very dense scenery with 30 FPS. While I open for example the ATC window or an outside view of the aircraft and undock it  my fps increase to 95 even 118.

can you believe it? My sim settings are nearly on it’s highest.  Geo

Hi Geo,

If you add a higher end cooling solution you might get to 4.6Ghz.  This represents a 9% increase in clock speed, and with it maybe a 5-7% increase in CPU-limited frame rate performance in P3D.  This means that in scenarios where you might see frame rate dip to 25, you'll then see 27 or so.  There are so many other variables that affect performance it starts seeming hardly worth it.  Sounds like most of the time you're fine.

The 'open up the ATC window and see FPS increase to 95 or 118' is NOT what P3D is running at, it's what the undocked window is running at!  This fooled me a while back.

Another possibility if you can is to install a thru-the-wall small air conditioner, then park your PC case right next to it.  That's what I do and this cools the entire system, mainboard, CPU, GPU, memory, etc.  And the beauty is--it's there for all subsequent PC builds.  My old 3930K chip is running at 4.42Ghz for 5 year with CPU core temps w/ HT enabled at 50 degrees F or lower.  Of note, I have a Noctua NH D14 which works well but w/o my air conditioner I would see temps around 62 or 63F which is fine, but I like 50F better and it is probably why this CPU still runs after 5y of near daily use.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I'm running the same chip at 4.6ghz using a cheap Antec Kuhler 620 with 2 fans on it.  A noctua shouldn't even break sweat

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427