Sign in to follow this  
Mitch24

FTX Global Vector Alternative?

Hi Guys, 

I was wondering if there is any less expensive alternative for FTX Global Vector land class... I am about at my $limit for addons! 

Are there any land class addons that you guys use instead of vector? I already have FTX Global installed

Thank you

I used ultimate terrain and really like it. It's regionalized which could be good and bad, but it's what I chose over vector.

- Aaron

5 minutes ago, slait said:

I used ultimate terrain and really like it. It's regionalized which could be good and bad, but it's what I chose over vector.

Won't UT conflict with Global? Global has the night lights and so does UT

I have FTX global as well, and it works without issue. A very nice combination in my opinion.

- Aaron

Vector isn't landclass, it's vector data. That means it covers coast lines, roads and highways, tunnel placements, beaches, rivers, etc. Landclass is the part of the simulator that tells the terrain what texture and autogen to display (i.e. here's farm land, here's dense forest, here's industrial, here's open grasslands, etc.)

So the only other product besides Global Vector that I know of that covers vector data is the Ultimate Terrain series of products, which include vector data as well as landclass data. However it only covers limited areas, and in chunks. USA covers the US (incl. Hawaii, but not Alaska.)

• Upvote 1

I use ultimate terrain, but I use it because I think it's better than vector, not because it's cheaper.  I have UT USA, Canada and tropics, those cover the parts of the world I fly in most, but I think those totalled up would cost more the vector which gives you global coverage.

• Upvote 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

UTX is designed for GEX, yes it is compatible with Global but there are some building textures that you will not see with Global and only with GEX.  UTX and GEX had some tie ins, I tried to ask in their forums, they never answered my question years ago.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Out of curiosity, would UT conflict with FTX Open LC Europe if I were to purchase UT Europe? Or would it enhance the accuracy of where to display the autogen?

UTX Europe will absolutely conflict with Open LC europe.  As both have landcass products.

Best thing to is imho is Keep Orbx products together and UTX/GEX products together (don't mix them as then things are not supported).  They are competing addons and both the developers want the users to use their products exclusively.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Thank you guys for the answers! 

I think I'm just going to skip land class all together. FTX global is all I need really.

2 hours ago, Skywolf said:

Best thing to is imho is Keep Orbx products together and UTX/GEX products together...

As others have posted in this thread, I use UTX USA and FTX Global Base along with FTX Global open LC NA without problems.  All that's required is to use the UTX USA Set-up Tool to configure that product to use only its vector features.  This is a simple one-time config task using the Set-up Tool and then you're good to go with FTX Landclass working with UTX Vector features.

Greg

I use utx for vector data (with landclass turned off), FSX global for textures, and openlc for landclass.  I'm quite happy with the results and feel like I'm getting the best of all worlds.

• Upvote 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

2 hours ago, regis9 said:

I use utx for vector data (with landclass turned off), FSX global for textures, and openlc for landclass.  I'm quite happy with the results and feel like I'm getting the best of all worlds.

That's what I prefer to do also. It works very well in almost all cases.