Sign in to follow this  
Thomasso

Can GTX 1070 handle 4K?

Hello everybody,

I'm currently running P3D v4 on this setup:

MOBO: AsRock H97 Anniversary
CPU: i7-4790K (not OC, using the turbo 4,4 GHz function because my MOBO doesn't allow OC... Yeah that was a bummer when I found out :D)
Cooler: CoolerMaster something worth 25$
GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 960 2GB OC
RAM: 2x4 GB
SSD: 128 GB (Windows 10) and 256 GB (P3D only)
HDD: 1 TB
Monitor: Philips Brilliance 230C 23" 1080p

Well, it's quite OK setup, but I figured it's time for some upgrades... Can't get P3D smooth with all the fancy add-ons :-)...

I want to ask you about your opinion about choices that I came up with, or possibly other suggestions.

1) Buy a new GPU and monitor. 
That's currently my #1 choice. Why? Well, I've got this monitor for many years now and when I compare it to my new laptop, the colors are really bad, angles too, etc. I would like to buy a 4K monitor (probably 27"). My question here is, will the GTX 1070 8 GB handle that? The 1080 is unfortunately out of my budget. Currently I'm having problems running HD REX clouds, high density autogen etc.

2) Buy GPU only:
If the 4K monitor would only drain the extra performance, I'd rather have smooth sim on a worse monitor... Or do you disagree?

3) Buy a new MOBO, cooling system and OC the CPU
Would be really cool but very overwhelming as I would have to build the PC from scratch, basically.. Also not sure if you can JUST replace MOBO and not have to do a fresh OS install... But it would be much cheaper than to buy the GPU and the monitor...

So, what do you think about my options? Which one would boost the performance the most? Which one would you go for? Do you have another option?

Thank you very much!

Tomas

Tomáš Pokorný

sign.php?call=160   signature-dark.png

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

I upgraded from 970 to 1070 and run FSX every day on 21:9 monitor at 3440 x 1440 monitor no problems whatsoever.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Thanks. Is the upgrade significant, perfomance-wise? And what CPU do you have if I may ask? :)

Tomáš Pokorný

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

You are running P3D v4, John is running FSX. There will be performance differences since P3D v4 puts more load onto the graphics card. Also DX9 vs DX11.

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Does it? Well that's another reason to invest in the GPU :) Do you think that GTX 1070 would handle 4K monitor under P3D v4, Peter?

Tomáš Pokorný

25 minutes ago, ThomassoCZ said:

Does it? Well that's another reason to invest in the GPU :) Do you think that GTX 1070 would handle 4K monitor under P3D v4, Peter?

Tomas, I have a 1070 running P3D v4 in 4K. Works wonderfully well. Since I can anticipate your next question, I have an Intel i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz 

Mario Di Lauro

2 minutes ago, tamsini said:

Tomas, I have a 1070 running P3D v4 in 4K. Works wonderfully well. Since I can anticipate your next question, I have an Intel i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz 

Perfect, that's what I wanted to hear, Mario! :-) Even with PMDG airplanes, Rex Texture Direct, full overcast, and such? Thanks!

Tomáš Pokorný

I am amazed that it takes whatever I throw at it - except be careful with shadowing. Everything else - dynamic lighting etc - no problems. Oh, and don't go too crazy with vector.

Mario Di Lauro

So I guess shadowing and (I suppose you mean ORBX Vector?) are the threshold that would require the 1080 :-) Right?

Tomáš Pokorný

UPDATE - I forgot to mention that I have AS2016 with soft clouds but not REX

Mario Di Lauro

2 minutes ago, ThomassoCZ said:

So I guess shadowing and (I suppose you mean ORBX Vector?) are the threshold that would require the 1080 :-) Right?

I really could not say :(

Mario Di Lauro

I meant REX Texture Direct... Not a weather engine but HQ texture replacement :-) As for the weather engine, I am waiting for the REX Sky Force 3D, which should be out any day now. Looks very promising!

Tomáš Pokorný

18 hours ago, ThomassoCZ said:

I have a 1080ti and Vector smashes my performance, +20 fps average difference without it!

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

1 minute ago, dmarques69 said:

I have a 1080ti and Vector smashes my performance, +20 fps average difference without it!

Thanks for the insight :) How many FPS are you getting? And do you use an alternative to Vector? Like UTX 2?

Tomáš Pokorný

6 minutes ago, ThomassoCZ said:

Thanks for the insight :) How many FPS are you getting? And do you use an alternative to Vector? Like UTX 2?

Im getting an average of 50 fps in heavy enviroments(plane and airports) with FTX global, opencl, as16/asca, hd airports, and non default airports with high settings.

UTX 2 i heard is a good alternative to Vector, but if you have FTX global base i dont know if are not going to have problems.

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync