Sign in to follow this  
MrLyo

MSVCR80.dll Error

On 9/24/2017 at 10:54 PM, Jim Young said:

In your Steam FSX folder look in SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\FSX-XPACK\ .  You should see SimConnect.msi in that folder. FSX-SE uses a custom version of simconnect.

Alright, i ran all the msi files, since it was a recommendation I saw a while ago for some programs. Do tell me if that was wrong!

By the way, the AVSIM config file recommends that high end users can should have global texture resolution set to max, however it also says that max texture load in the cfg file should not go over 2048. It also says the default is 1024. However when I put global texture resolution to max I notice that my max texture load automatically goes up to 4096. Does this mean global texture resolution should after all not be set at max?

Lyonel Aguilar

By the way, as to the whole Microsoft net discussion: I also interpreted the text in the links provided earlier by Luke as if Microsoft net is often but not always backwards compatible, I was not convinced of the fact that you can completely exclude the possibility of this being an issue. However FSXWX works with net framework 3.5, which FSXWX tells one to install when installing the program.. do you think, considering this, that installing earlier versions would be pointless?

Lyonel Aguilar

3 hours ago, leak91 said:

By the way, the AVSIM config file recommends that high end users can should have global texture resolution set to max, however it also says that max texture load in the cfg file should not go over 2048. It also says the default is 1024. However when I put global texture resolution to max I notice that my max texture load automatically goes up to 4096. Does this mean global texture resolution should after all not be set at max?

Sorry to hear you got confused over the recommendation.  There are three settings - 1024, 2048, and 4096.  The default is 1024.  The max is 4096 for this setting.  High end user can set to max (computers like mine - see specs in my signature) but we recommend 2048 as there is little difference between 2048 and 4096.  It's a FPS killer and VAS killer when set to high.  Just trying to save some from having a lot of crashes.  Of course, put it at 4096 if you think your computer can handle it.

In regards to dotnet recommendations, I stand fully by my recommendations.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I have read the link provided by Luke above and found my previous research on backward compatibility was correct.  I will not be making any changes to the CTD Guide.  As stated in the link provided by Luke, "By default, an app runs on the version of the .NET Framework that it was built for. If that version is not present and the app configuration file does not define supported versions, a .NET Framework initialization error may occur. In this case, the attempt to run the app will fail."  So, like I stated, you need version 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5 installed for most applications associated with FSX.  This is one reason why LM and Dovetail make sure those versions were installed if they were not already there when they installed P3D and FSX-SE.  If one goes on the assumption that one of the latest versions of Microsoft.net is compatible with the older versions of dotnet, then you will suffer from unexplained crashes or the triggering of the MSVCR80.dll error.  If you don't want to follow this advice, then you will eventually suffer the consequences of a crash.  I am not trying to destroy your enjoyment of FSX, FSX-SE, or P3D with my statements on backward compatibility.  Follow the advice of Luke or follow my advice.  Personally, I'm following my advice.

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

11 hours ago, Jim Young said:

I have read the link provided by Luke above and found my previous research on backward compatibility was correct.  I will not be making any changes to the CTD Guide.  As stated in the link provided by Luke, "By default, an app runs on the version of the .NET Framework that it was built for. If that version is not present and the app configuration file does not define supported versions, a .NET Framework initialization error may occur. In this case, the attempt to run the app will fail."  So, like I stated, you need version 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5 installed for most applications associated with FSX.  This is one reason why LM and Dovetail make sure those versions were installed if they were not already there when they installed P3D and FSX-SE.  If one goes on the assumption that one of the latest versions of Microsoft.net is compatible with the older versions of dotnet, then you will suffer from unexplained crashes or the triggering of the MSVCR80.dll error.  If you don't want to follow this advice, then you will eventually suffer the consequences of a crash.  I am not trying to destroy your enjoyment of FSX, FSX-SE, or P3D with my statements on backward compatibility.  Follow the advice of Luke or follow my advice.  Personally, I'm following my advice.

Jim, I will follow all of your advice. Even though I have yet to comprehend why it may have looked this way: I'm very sorry if anything I said made it look like I thought you were trying to kill my FSX enjoyment. The net framework issue I double checked with you since FSXWX instructions say the 3.5 version is needed, therefore I looked for guidance on whether or not you still considered installing earlier versions as possible solution despite that piece of information. Since you do consider that, I will do it.

I greatly appreciate all the time you have put down, not only on this occasion, to try and help me with my problem by writing detailed and extensive recommendations. I also appreciate the time and energy you have put into the guides. Besides, I didnt get any advice from Luke, so I would rather say that I consider Luke's contributions to the latest discussion (as good-willed they may have been) as contradictions to your advice, rather than advice on it's own ;-)

I do hope you haven't gotten frustrated with me on this and that you will still be willing to guide me through this tough labyrinth of FSX:SE issues,

Best regards,

Leo

• Upvote 1

Lyonel Aguilar

On 2017-09-26 at 7:55 PM, Jim Young said:

Hi Jim, I had gone without any mscvr80.dll problems for a while. Yesterday, however, I got an MSCVR100.dll problem. Ran the reparation kit, reinstalled the C++ and haven't had time to try again yet.. but since reinstalling the C++ didn't really help previously (however installing the earlier net frameworks did) I wonder if there is any other solution you know to this? Thinking so im prepared for next time. 

Lyonel Aguilar

Microsoft.net's and Microsoft Visuals are used by developers when developing their application and running the application when installed.  This is why you see a lot of sites where they state you must have Microsoft.net 4.0.XXX installed.  The repair kit worked for me 3-4 years ago and I got the idea from a member and computer expert.  It is why it is in the AVSIM CTD Guide. 

When it does not work for you, this is why I came up with the section on how to fix almost all ctd's and freezes in FSX and P3D.  There's an application you installed that is not compatible with your installed Microsoft Visual or Microsoft.net.  The product might have been made for FS9 or Windows XP or Vista so needs an earlier Visual or dotnet.  These old dotnets and visuals do not know about the latest and greatest benefits of the latest tech in Microsoft Visuals and dotnets.  So, you have to rename your dll.xml, fsx/p3d.cfg, and scenery.cfg to something like just adding .off at the end of each (in case you want to return them).  Restart FSX or P3D and these files will be rebuilt.  Does the problem still exist?  If no, the issue is with one or more of these files.  Bring back your old dll.xml and see if the problem is still fixed.  If so, bring back your scenery.cfg.  If still no problems, then your problem was with something in your fsx or p3d.cfg.  Sometimes just renaming the p3d or fsx.cfg will fix the issue but, for Microsoft Visuals and dotnets, it is most likely something in the dll.xml or scenery.cfg.  An old airport scenery does not like the installed dotnets or Microsoft Visuals.  It is looking for the right version.  The AVSIM CTD Guide provides more solutions like this starting around page 7.

Submit News to AVSIM

10 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Microsoft.net's and Microsoft Visuals are used by developers when developing their application and running the application when installed.  This is why you see a lot of sites where they state you must have Microsoft.net 4.0.XXX installed.  The repair kit worked for me 3-4 years ago and I got the idea from a member and computer expert.  It is why it is in the AVSIM CTD Guide. 

When it does not work for you, this is why I came up with the section on how to fix almost all ctd's and freezes in FSX and P3D.  There's an application you installed that is not compatible with your installed Microsoft Visual or Microsoft.net.  The product might have been made for FS9 or Windows XP or Vista so needs an earlier Visual or dotnet.  These old dotnets and visuals do not know about the latest and greatest benefits of the latest tech in Microsoft Visuals and dotnets.  So, you have to rename your dll.xml, fsx/p3d.cfg, and scenery.cfg to something like just adding .off at the end of each (in case you want to return them).  Restart FSX or P3D and these files will be rebuilt.  Does the problem still exist?  If no, the issue is with one or more of these files.  Bring back your old dll.xml and see if the problem is still fixed.  If so, bring back your scenery.cfg.  If still no problems, then your problem was with something in your fsx or p3d.cfg.  Sometimes just renaming the p3d or fsx.cfg will fix the issue but, for Microsoft Visuals and dotnets, it is most likely something in the dll.xml or scenery.cfg.  An old airport scenery does not like the installed dotnets or Microsoft Visuals.  It is looking for the right version.  The AVSIM CTD Guide provides more solutions like this starting around page 7.

Thanks Jim, definitely will try them and the page 7 and onwards solutions :) by the way, out of curiosity, dont you think the dotnet/visuals problems should be gone since I installed all the early dotnets and the latest versions of the visuals? (I'm thinking of the example you gave with the old airports, could there still be a problem that is caused by the dotnet/visuals considering what I did?) Just seeing if I can exclude some solutions already :)!

Lyonel Aguilar

I'm not a developer and cannot answer your question completely.  Maybe it is NOT the visual/dotnet that is triggering the crash but another issue with Windows which is triggering the Microsoft Visual error.  But, from what I have learned, if the coding is not proper for a program, the Microsoft Visual error will be triggered.  It could even be high settings.  If you remove the old dotnets and Microsoft Visuals, FSX will not start up.  It has been proven as we had a member (a computer expert) who was telling everyone to get rid of their old Microsoft Visuals and dotnets and I told him not to do it.  He tried by removing them and FSX would not start up.

It is super easy to disable your scenery.cfg, dll.xml, and p3d.cfg.  That will tell you if you have some module or addon installed that is not compatible with P3D.  Just remember, P3D and FSX were not developed with addons and the apps works great until you start adding the addons.

Submit News to AVSIM

With respect Jim, but I've never installed any .NET version before 4.5 (I have 4.5, 4.6 and 4.7 on my machine) and FSX, P3D3, P3D4, ActiveSky and other .NET programs have always run smoothly and reliably. The issues that I have are related to poor third party add-ons and are immediately corrected when they are removed or disabled.

I do not know what this so-called "expert" did or didn't do. I can't duplicate it because I cannot uninstall what I never installed in the first place. If you wish to install all sorts of .NET versions to make yourself or others feel better that's great, but it's either just a placebo effect or the act cleans up some other underlying (real) issue.

The FSX release date was less than 90 days before the release date of .NET 2.0. There are literally thousands of people running FSX and not running .NET 1.1 or 2.0.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Comments noted.

Submit News to AVSIM

10 hours ago, Jim Young said:

I'm not a developer and cannot answer your question completely.  Maybe it is NOT the visual/dotnet that is triggering the crash but another issue with Windows which is triggering the Microsoft Visual error.  But, from what I have learned, if the coding is not proper for a program, the Microsoft Visual error will be triggered.  It could even be high settings.  If you remove the old dotnets and Microsoft Visuals, FSX will not start up.  It has been proven as we had a member (a computer expert) who was telling everyone to get rid of their old Microsoft Visuals and dotnets and I told him not to do it.  He tried by removing them and FSX would not start up.

It is super easy to disable your scenery.cfg, dll.xml, and p3d.cfg.  That will tell you if you have some module or addon installed that is not compatible with P3D.  Just remember, P3D and FSX were not developed with addons and the apps works great until you start adding the addons.

Since all the problems pretty much started with FSXWX, I will try running FSX without it first and see if that's the problem (since the msvcr problems started on my old computer when I started with FSXWX). It happened with ASN as well though, so I wonder if messing with the weather is the problem in my case? Do you use any weather program that you recommend? (Or can one tweak fsx default weather engine foe it to be more realistic?) Too bad, it really made an enormous difference to have an add-on weather program...

If the problems continue with FSXWX then I'll disable the files you told me (just want to see if it's FSXWX since Its my main suspect). I also have ivap and vafs5, however I used vafs5 for years without a problem and I had FSXWX (and msvcr problems) long before I got ivap.

Thanks by the way for answering all my questions!

Lyonel Aguilar

I did some research at the FSXWX website and it does not list FSX-SE compatible with their program.  You also have to have Microsoft.net 3.5 installed and FSUIPC - http://www.plane-pics.de/fsxwx/instructions-fsx.htm.  That is probably the issue with FSXWX for you.  FSX-SE is a different app than the boxed version of FSX.  I also understand you have to manually install the legacy versions for Simconnect to work.  It is complicated and another reason why I have the boxed version installed (and P3DV4.1).  Good thing about HiFi's ActiveSky is that they install everything you need including their version of SimConnect.  It is now on sale at 30% off.  Might be a good time to upgrade.  I use ASP4 only as I have P3Dv4.1 and I have not reinstalled the FSX version.

So, I think you are on the right track suspecting FSXWX.

Submit News to AVSIM

9 hours ago, Jim Young said:

I did some research at the FSXWX website and it does not list FSX-SE compatible with their program.  You also have to have Microsoft.net 3.5 installed and FSUIPC - http://www.plane-pics.de/fsxwx/instructions-fsx.htm.  That is probably the issue with FSXWX for you.  FSX-SE is a different app than the boxed version of FSX.  I also understand you have to manually install the legacy versions for Simconnect to work.  It is complicated and another reason why I have the boxed version installed (and P3DV4.1).  Good thing about HiFi's ActiveSky is that they install everything you need including their version of SimConnect.  It is now on sale at 30% off.  Might be a good time to upgrade.  I use ASP4 only as I have P3Dv4.1 and I have not reinstalled the FSX version.

I installed dotnet 3.5 as well as FSUIPC from the start, however I did not know FSXWX wasn't compatible with fsx-se. That explains a lot!! I tried ASN before on a trial version, but had msvcr crashes as well, so I'm afraid to buy it and have the same issues . But I'll try a trial version (If possible, I don't know if I can, but I have another computer now, so will try). I'll let you know! And thanks again by the way!

Lyonel Aguilar

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎30 at 10:13 PM, Jim Young said:

Hi Jim, I uninstalled and reinstalled FSX-SE, PMDG 738, IVAP, VAFS5 (since they havent given me issues Before) and bought and installed ASN. After a couple of hours of doing this I will try FSX tomorrow, since it got kind of late. I only had one question: On the AVSIM CTD guide you provide a link that automatically uninstalls the Visuals and inställs the latest versions; I used that. However I also see that you have a Picture of your Visuals, and I notice that you have more than me (for example four Visual C++2008 instead of two) and that these are earlier versions than the ones I have (you have for example C++ 2005 version 8.0.61001. and I have version 8.0.61187) . Do I have to install all the ones you have as well (four C++ 2008, the earlier 2005, etc.) or is it just that you have been installing new ones without uninstalling old ones?

Lyonel Aguilar