Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Finally got OrthoXP to work

The trick I learned was to extract the Python files and folders into the OrthoXP folder, and to create a scenery project folder within that folder for my scenery files.  I generated my first project, of Maricopa county, and it looked quite good.  Did not take more than an hour to generate, I used USA_2 as the source, much easier to use than FSEarthtiles for P3d.  I used 17 for my resolution to keep the scenery size small, looked fine at altitude.

Like Ron Popeil says, you can just set it and forget it, LOL.

John

Rockin and Rollin', enjoyed a flight over Maricopa County, 17 was the perfect resolution for my first project.  I had to redo it to add the overlay folder, the scenery at first did not show up.  After I redid the batch the scenery showed up perfectly and looks very impressive compared to P3d.  Also it seems to have a smaller footprint.  USA_2 is a good source to use, the roadways are very current.  I don't know what moved me to extract the python files in the same folder as OrthoXP4, once I did that all my pathing problems melted away.  OrthoXP4 just worked, following the scripts in succession.

John

For some reason, my second project of the SF Bay Area has hidden all the bridges and buildings.  I used the exact same settings as my Maricopa county projects.  Can anyone tell me if there is a way I can get them back without having to redo the project?  I used overlays, had no errors running the project.  The airport buildings are there, the stock buildings aren't there.

John

Finally got overlays to work, I lowered my res setting to 16, not much of a difference at altitude.  The autogen now is placed over the photoreal scenery.  Ortho4Xp is a good program, pretty easy to use once you choose the right source.  I use USA_2 as my source.  I can cover quite a bit of space that way.

John

Just finished a 12 tile project at 16 resolution that covers much of Northern CA and Western Nevada.  Took only a couple of hours to run, result was as good as FSearthtiles for P3d, but much easier to build.  All the buildings and autogen were overlayed on the project, considered a dream for P3d but easily done with OrthoXP.  The end result did not take up much disk space, approx 5 GB.  It was an easy process following these steps:

1. Select the destination directory within the Custom scenery folder

2. Select the source (in my case USA_2), the res for both water and land, in my case 16

3. Select the Overlay directory (X-plane 11\Global Scenery)

4. Go to map view and select the tiles, holding down shift as you click

5. Select build masks and overlays

6. Select batch build

7. Let it run until finished

8. Edit the .ini file to point to the scenery.  Place the scenery at the bottom (you might have to do this twice, sometimes X-Plane will place it back up top).

.Run X-plane and enjoy your scenery with autogen

John

• Upvote 1