Sign in to follow this  
jrgaz

Very Informative and Interesting Video

Found this guy's(a RW 737-800 pilot) videos on YouTube.  They're the best I've seen so far.  Learned so much from him. Take a look....

• Upvote 2

Don't know if you meant to do this but you posted the same topic twice. Very nice video, thanks for sharing!

His videos are great.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I've watched all of his videos and they're great!

He's a real NG driver so you know you're getting good information. 

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

He is a wealth of knowledge with an excellent presentation.  I do have to run it at 3/4 speed so I can fully understand.  :biggrin:

John  Hubbard   MSFS2020 - Win10                    

Thanks for the heads up I really like his stuff!!

Tom Davis

I7 6700k 4.7 ghz, gtx 1080ti , 16gb 3400 ram, 32’’ 2k monitor, 1TB ssd, 500gb ssd, 250gb ssd, h115 water cooler

UAL440.png

Yup, those are good on info, although I think he could do with slowing the rate at which he is covering stuff. That's a common mistake with people who are very knowledgeable when they pass stuff on, they are so familiar with things, they forget it was hard initially when they were learning it and that info was new to them.

I always have to be mindful of that when I train people because it's a similar thing, I know so much about the subjects I teach that it seems easy to me, but of course anything is easy when you know how and you've been doing it for years. There is more to teaching people than simply knowing stuff, it's about being able to convey the stuff you know well too.

Of course with youtube videos, you can always pause them and watch them again, but knowledge is often easier to take in when it comes at a comfortable pace and you aren't risking overloading people with too much information all at once, otherwise it starts falling out of the person's other ear whilst they are trying to take in more and more.

• Upvote 4

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Nice video. I don't agree that LVL CHG is the most efficient method to descend. VNAV SPD would be just as good.

Matt Cee

1 hour ago, Spin737 said:

Nice video. I don't agree that LVL CHG is the most efficient method to descend. VNAV SPD would be just as good.

If you know how to use lvl chg properly it is much much better then vnav...take  a lot of practice though. 

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

18 minutes ago, fakeflyer737 said:

If you know how to use lvl chg properly it is much much better then vnav...take  a lot of practice though. 

I'm curious.  Could you please elaborate???

15 minutes ago, fakeflyer737 said:

That true?  My understanding (is not that great) was that LVL CHG, in descent mode, brings the engines to idle and then maintains "speed window" speed, whereas VNAV maintains optimal profile down to the target altitude while assuring all speed and altitude restrictions are met.  Might be fun to do it manually, though.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

21 minutes ago, fakeflyer737 said:

Much much better? How so?

• Upvote 1

Matt Cee

Why does V/S not get any love? I usually enter V/S, make alterations to VNAV, then I either re-use VNAV or I use its vertical bearing data (DES Page on CDU) and the green banana as a reference whilst still using V/S.

Matt/Joe, how would you guys manage the same descent given his conditions he set in the video?

I know there are a few ways in addition to what FD2S did. In no way am I qualified to criticise or judge his methods and I will try it out some time... thanks for the videos FD2S! Very much appreciated.

• Upvote 1

Brian Nellis

On 26/9/2017 at 9:02 PM, Copper. said:

Why does V/S not get any love? I usually enter V/S, make alterations to VNAV, then I either re-use VNAV or I use its vertical bearing data (DES Page on CDU) and the green banana as a reference whilst still using V/S.

Matt/Joe, how would you guys manage the same descent given his conditions he set in the video?

I know there are a few ways in addition to what FD2S did. In no way am I qualified to criticise or judge his methods and I will try it out some time... thanks for the videos FD2S! Very much appreciated.

v/s is as good as the other to modes. Difference is that V/S disregards speed.. you have to be very careful not to exceed Vmo/mmo or VFE. in many cases if you are high on your descend profile, is better to slow down and configure than using speed to maintain a high rate of descend. Even is this gets you even higher on your profile. Remeber, the number one enemy for being high on your approach is speed, not altitude.:biggrin: