Hi guys,
Today, I am upgrading my GPU from a 980ti to 1080ti for use with my ultrawide montior.

I have just done a circuit and kept an eye on my current GPU usage in MSI afterburner.

Question, the maximum I got to was 80%, but what does this actually mean

Does it mean that I can put up graphics settings in game and not lose a single frame rate until I reach 100% usage? Or is it simply not true and other things at play..

Thank you in advance,
Alex

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Did you check the CPU load? i bet is near 100%, P3D is very CPU intensive, it's almost more important to have a good CPU that a GPU.

Are you locking frames?

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

Your sim will run as fast as it can until it's constrained by some limit. That limit may be a CPU thread (usually your primary one when you're actually flying), your GPU or your configuration settings. So something is always going to be at 100%, the other two, something less. 

Since your GPU is not maxed, you're either being limited by your CPU or your settings. The only thing you could do at increase GPU usage is to increase settings, however, if your CPU main thread is maxed (the probable scenario), only increasing settings specifically loading your GPU ONLY , such as graphics filter settings, will allow more GPU utilization.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

It's perfectly okay that your GPU isn't completely utilized. It will use whatever it needs to render the scene.

Interesting thread since I'm thinking of replacing my 980Ti with a 1080Ti as well.

In my case I see the GPU utilization is at 100% most of the time so I guess that means upgrading to a 1080Ti would improve that situation?

I also noticed how switching on the lights in the NGX with dynamic lighting enabled causes my FPS to drop by 6-8 FPS.

• Upvote 1

Richard Åsberg

15 minutes ago, WebMaximus said:

Interesting thread since I'm thinking of replacing my 980Ti with a 1080Ti as well.

In my case I see the GPU utilization is at 100% most of the time so I guess that means upgrading to a 1080Ti would improve that situation?

I also noticed how switching on the lights in the NGX with dynamic lighting enabled causes my FPS to drop by 6-8 FPS.

Hello my friend, hope you're well. 

I did that very upgrade path. The thing I noticed more is the ability to turn on dynamic lighting and ssaa (definitely not at the same time) with a lot less performance loss. I run a ultra wide 1440p monitor so it was worth the upgrade for me 

I have a video I made yesterday with 1080ti

Alex Ridge

Hi there Alex, I'm fine and hope you are too!

Great input and just what I wanted to hear (and what my wallet didn't want to hear :laugh:).

I was hoping a more powerful GPU would improve the FPS drop seen by having dynamic lighting enabled as well as some other features heavy on the GPU such as shadows etc.

What you say and show in your video seems to confirm this so thanks for sharing!

Edited to add I'm running 3840x2160.

Richard Åsberg

34 minutes ago, WebMaximus said:

Hi there Alex, I'm fine and hope you are too!

Great input and just what I wanted to hear (and what my wallet didn't want to hear :laugh:).

I was hoping a more powerful GPU would improve the FPS drop seen by having dynamic lighting enabled as well as some other features heavy on the GPU such as shadows etc.

What you say and show in your video seems to confirm this so thanks for sharing!

Edited to add I'm running 3840x2160.

Great stuff.

If you need inspiration I went with the EVGA 1080ti black.

That's a high resolution screen you have so I imagine you'll see improvements

Alex Ridge

20 minutes ago, aceridgey said:

Great stuff.

If you need inspiration I went with the EVGA 1080ti black.

That's a high resolution screen you have so I imagine you'll see improvements

Yep, the higher resolution the more you will benefit from a new GPU for sure.

Thanks for the tip about the EVGA. I never had an EVGA product myself but I always heard lots of good stuff about them so I'm sure they're great!

However I'm a sucker for MSI products these days since a couple of years back when I had it with ASUS and their below-par support and arrogant attitude and replaced my FS rig consisting of ASUS parts exclusively with all MSI parts. Couldn't be more happy to be honest and will never go back to ASUS.

So if I decide to go for a 1080Ti I'll go with the MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X which has also scored really well in all reviews I've read. Also, my current 980Ti which I've been very happy with is an MSI card.

Richard Åsberg

2 hours ago, WebMaximus said:

Couldn't be more happy to be honest and will never go back to ASUS.

Must be the luck of the draw. I've only used Asus motherboards but I've yet to have a problem with them.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

14 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Must be the luck of the draw. I've only used Asus motherboards but I've yet to have a problem with them.

Wasn't the products so much that was the problem but rather their ignorance and arrogant attitude in their support forums that made me abandon them.

I remember having an issue with the clock for instance where the time kept resetting. Going to their forums I noticed I shared this issue with lots of people and after more than one year still no response from ASUS.

I then replaced all parts with MSI stuff and when having what seemed to be a far more tricky issue than having the clock reset itself I faced an issue where my motherboard didn't recognize my Intel PCIe SSD.

Within a couple of days I was contacted directly by one of the BIOS developer guys over at MSI offering me to try out a beta version of the BIOS built to sort my problem.

Sure enough it did sort my issue, MSI thanked me for the help testing the new BIOS version confirming the issue was solved and they made the new version official the day after.

Now that's what I call support leaving ASUS support in the dust...

Richard Åsberg

So just completed my first flight with a 1080Ti and I'm very happy to report I no longer get the drop switching the lights on with dynamic lighting enabled but not only that. I also noticed how everything seems more sharp than ever before and at the same time everything is equally smooth as it is sharp.

Very happy with my new 1080Ti !!

Richard Åsberg

Just now, WebMaximus said:

So just completed my first flight with a 1080Ti and I'm very happy to report I no longer get the drop switching the lights on with dynamic lighting enabled but not only that. I also noticed how everything seems more sharp than ever before and at the same time everything is equally smooth as it is sharp.

Very happy with my new 1080Ti !!

I don't want to take the thread off too much off topic (as my core question still hasn't been answered :D ) but Richard! I didn't realise you were going to get one TODAY?!

Alex Ridge

39 minutes ago, aceridgey said:

I don't want to take the thread off too much off topic (as my core question still hasn't been answered :D ) but Richard! I didn't realise you were going to get one TODAY?!

Nor did I to be honest but once I make my mind up about something I usually act fast :laugh:

Richard Åsberg