Sign in to follow this  
bernd1151

Passau, Germany, along the Danube river to Vienna

Freeware Germany photoscenery

Austria Professional HD scenery

Alabeo Waco biplane

I have taken off from a small airport near the Bavarian town Deggendorf and head south-east towards the larger Bavarian city Passau. Both cities are located right next to the Danube river

2017-9-21_0-28-7-690.jpg

2017-9-21_0-32-10-750.jpg

Over Passau. Here the rivers “Inn” (on the pics’ right side) and “Danube” merge. The river keeps the name Danube, but inherits the Inn’s color

2017-9-21_0-44-36-820.jpg

Passau is very close to the German border with Austria, so here I fly already in Austrian air space

2017-9-21_0-46-19-357.jpg

This part of Austria along the Danube is at least for me one of the most beautiful areas of Austria

I don’t cover all the nice cities and small villages I pass, as it would blow this flight up to over 50 screenies

2017-9-21_0-50-16-300.jpg

2017-9-21_0-52-2-473.jpg

2017-9-21_0-56-15-844.jpg

2017-9-21_1-10-19-922.jpg

2017-9-21_1-14-10-289.jpg

For the ship traffic, the Danube has a couple of large locks

2017-9-21_1-51-6-614.jpg

I pass over the city of Melk with its famous “Melk Abbey”, which is one of the biggest and most beautiful European Baroque ensembles. It also happens to be part of the UNESCO’s world cultural heritage. Since 1089, Benedictine monks have continually been living and working here. As you can see from the number of river cruise ships, it is very popular with tourists too.

2017-9-21_1-52-8-345.jpg

Here the superb wine region “Wachau” begins

2017-9-21_1-53-49-835.jpg

2017-9-21_1-58-40-684.jpg

I pass by the city of “Krems”, where the Wachau ends

2017-9-21_2-0-56-259.jpg

2017-9-21_2-10-5-532.jpg

2017-9-21_2-14-14-37.jpg

Vienna is dead ahead

2017-9-21_2-18-38-763.jpg

2017-9-21_2-21-17-629.jpg

But before landing I want to show you another famous landmark, the superb “Schönbrunn-Palace”, former home to the Austrian emperors

2017-9-22_1-6-26-261.jpg

And now it’s on to Vienna’s Schwechat airport

2017-9-22_1-10-1-880.jpg

2017-9-22_1-13-22-313.jpg

Thanks for viewing

• Upvote 3

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

Very nice Austrian and German scenery...Waco now a classic!

HLJAMES

• Upvote 1

Nice shots.  I took a coach tour along the Danube while I was visiting Europe in June.  It ended with a visit to Salzburg and the Eagle;s Nest.  While it was warm in Salzburg, Eagle's Nest was quite cold, but I hiked up the mountain anyway for great shots of the German and Austrian Alps.

John

Nice! Brought back lots of memories of this past summer: my wife and I did a river cruise down the Danube, from Nuremberg to Budapest. We stopped in Melk and explored the Abbey, and we went to the Schönbrunn-Palace as well. Loved Salzburg and Vienna!

• Upvote 1

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

15 minutes ago, JRMurray said:

Nice! Brought back lots of memories of this past summer: my wife and I did a river cruise down the Danube, from Nuremberg to Budapest. We stopped in Melk and explored the Abbey, and we went to the Schönbrunn-Palace as well. Loved Salzburg and Vienna!

The Palace in Vienna was quite interesting, too bad no photographs inside.  The elegance and intricacy of all the textiles and wall work in those rooms was amazing, and they are just a small sampling of what was inside the palace.  Then the gardens, very relaxing, that's where I had my photo taken.  We had great weather, bright blue skies, it only rained when we left Vienna, the timing couldn't have been better.  I visited Vienna this year, plus 1982 and 1984.  This year's visit was my favorite, being older, I was just able to take in so much more.

I twice flew out of Vienna's International airport, once in '77 on TransAmerica charter airlines, and once in '84 on Austrian Airlines to Frankfurt.  I remember it being a nice and bright airport inside.  In '77 I went the wrong way while looking for my gate and found myself confronted with two security guards with machine guns.  They shooed me in the right direction, I was just a teen then and not too familiar with navigating airports.  We had stopped to pick up a group of students who had been on another European tour.  From there we took off and traveled to Shannon, where we refueled.  Then we crossed the Atlantic and stopped in Gander, where we refueled again.  It was a DC-8 63, nice looking but loud, it did not have the range to fight against the headwinds going westward.  

After we landed in New York, I transferred to American Airlines, first a 707 then changing to a 727 in Dallas.  By the time I made it back to San Francisco I had been on the go for 24 hours, I just collapsed in bed when I got home.  Quite a difference from my eleven hour non-stop from London to Phoenix in June, where I had practically no jet lag.

John

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, HLJames said:

Very nice Austrian and German scenery...Waco now a classic!

HLJAMES

Thanks a lot, HL. The Waco is truly a classic and a great bird to fly

14 hours ago, JRMurray said:

14 hours ago, Cactus521 said:

The Palace in Vienna was quite interesting, too bad no photographs inside.  The elegance and intricacy of all the textiles and wall work in those rooms was amazing, and they are just a small sampling of what was inside the palace.  Then the gardens, very relaxing, that's where I had my photo taken.  We had great weather, bright blue skies, it only rained when we left Vienna, the timing couldn't have been better.  I visited Vienna this year, plus 1982 and 1984.  This year's visit was my favorite, being older, I was just able to take in so much more.

I twice flew out of Vienna's International airport, once in '77 on TransAmerica charter airlines, and once in '84 on Austrian Airlines to Frankfurt.  I remember it being a nice and bright airport inside.  In '77 I went the wrong way while looking for my gate and found myself confronted with two security guards with machine guns.  They shooed me in the right direction, I was just a teen then and not too familiar with navigating airports.  We had stopped to pick up a group of students who had been on another European tour.  From there we took off and traveled to Shannon, where we refueled.  Then we crossed the Atlantic and stopped in Gander, where we refueled again.  It was a DC-8 63, nice looking but loud, it did not have the range to fight against the headwinds going westward.  

After we landed in New York, I transferred to American Airlines, first a 707 then changing to a 727 in Dallas.  By the time I made it back to San Francisco I had been on the go for 24 hours, I just collapsed in bed when I got home.  Quite a difference from my eleven hour non-stop from London to Phoenix in June, where I had practically no jet lag.

John

Thanks Joel and John for sharing your memories with us. I was able to take pictures from the inside of Schönbrunn by being the last in the line of visitors. That way the tour guide could not see me. No flash of course. Silly me, I know  :happy:

8 hours ago, jt8d9a said:

Nice flight! Great shots! :)

3 hours ago, gabrielleb25 said:

Beautiful scenery and I love the Waco!

3 hours ago, JAT said:

Nice shots.

nebojsa

Thank you very much Nils, Gabriel and Nebojsa

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

Great screenshots! What free German scenery is this?

35 minutes ago, sascha said:

Great screenshots! What free German scenery is this?

was about to ask the same question. Link  appreciated:)