Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

FSUIPC and P3Dv4

Just installed and noticed my key for FSUIPC no longer works with FSUIPC5 meaning I'll have to buy FSUIPC again. Not a big deal considering all free updates of FSUIPC I've got so far but now I'm thinking if I really need the registered version of FSUIPC.

What I've been using it for up until now include:

- applying the Dynamic Friction lua script to make taxiing the NGX more realistic
- mapping keyboard shortcuts to buttons on my controllers
- axis assignments including reverse thrust (mapped to the "buttons" on my Saitek TQ)

For the Dunamic Friction lua script I read this doens't work in P3Dv4 anymore because something changed and people instead use a hex editor to edit some dll file manually.

For the other two items I'm not sure if there might be some other way I could accomplish this without using FSUIPC?

Again, I don't mind buying the new FSUIPC if that's required but then again I don't want to spend roughly 40 euros if there's a free way accomplishing the same thing.

Richard Åsberg

21 minutes ago, WebMaximus said:

Just installed and noticed my key for FSUIPC no longer works with FSUIPC5 meaning I'll have to buy FSUIPC again. Not a big deal considering all free updates of FSUIPC I've got so far but now I'm thinking if I really need the registered version of FSUIPC.

What I've been using it for up until now include:

- applying the Dynamic Friction lua script to make taxiing the NGX more realistic
- mapping keyboard shortcuts to buttons on my controllers
- axis assignments including reverse thrust (mapped to the "buttons" on my Saitek TQ)

For the Dunamic Friction lua script I read this doens't work in P3Dv4 anymore because something changed and people instead use a hex editor to edit some dll file manually.

For the other two items I'm not sure if there might be some other way I could accomplish this without using FSUIPC?

Again, I don't mind buying the new FSUIPC if that's required but then again I don't want to spend roughly 40 euros if there's a free way accomplishing the same thing.

I'm sure if you purchased previous version then there is a discount.

bob        edit just checked my account at Simarket and there was a  discount but couldn't see if it was still available. yep just checked again no mention of any discount now..hmmm

Hi Richard,

There was an early buyers discount for FSUIPC5, but the offer expired at the end of August.

Maarten

Maarten Boelens ([m][a:][R][t][ʏ][n])
Developer of SimLauncherX

ftx_supporter_avsim.gifC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

Exactly, the discount was for anyone and not just previous owners and it was time limited and that time already ran out.

Richard Åsberg

Hi Richard,

I was in the same boat with FSUIPC5 did not use it enough to justify buying it again, so installed the free version.

For mapping keys to joystick/yoke there is a program called "joytokey" which is easy to set up and works extremely well.

Which reminds me must send a donation to the developer.

Hope that helps.

Mick

1 minute ago, mickatmian said:

Hi Richard,

I was in the same boat with FSUIPC5 did not use it enough to justify buying it again, so installed the free version.

For mapping keys to joystick/yoke there is a program called "joytokey" which is easy to set up and works extremely well.

Which reminds me must send a donation to the developer.

Hope that helps.

Mick

Thanks a lot Mick, will check it out right away!

After some quick testing it seems to me the ground friction in the NGX in P3Dv4 is better (more realistic) vs in P3Dv3 which is great news since the FSUIPC lua script doesn't work in P3Dv4 and I would be happy not having to mess around with a hex editor modifying standard dll's in P3D.

This leaves me with the assignments of keys to buttons on my controllers and with your tip I guess just like you I can skip FSUIPC. You say you settled with the free version but will you even need that anymore?

Having to pay for a new version is fine as mentioned already considering all free updates in the past. However having to pay full price when you're a long time customer only because you didn't jump to P3Dv4 on day one I don't think is the best possible approach. In my book it's more important to reward old and good customers but that's of course strictly my personal opinion.

Maybe I'll give those money as a donation to the dev of joytokey instead if it works equally good in my case :)

Richard Åsberg

The free version of FSUIPC is required by one or other of the programmes I have installed (can't think which at the minute) but hey ho it's free.

I agree that in general there ought to be discounts for previous customers, but having said that it's Pete's prerogative to charge whatever he likes, and ours to look elsewhere.

Let me know how it goes.Mick

1 hour ago, mickatmian said:

+1 completely agree, great tool

Darren Morris

I purchased FSUIPC for P3Dv4 after some thought.  Pete has provided a first class service to simmers for many years for a small cost with frequent updates as LM kept changing the code with its many updates throughout its versions and changes.  As many products need the product to perform correctly and I still find some marginal value with the paid version, it is a pay it forward purchase for me.  Heck, even X-Plane uses a version of the product from another coder for its operation.  He and his program are an integral part of flight simming at home and has been there for us.

My opinion.

To a large extent I couldn't agree more with you and fact is I might still be getting the paid version of FSUIPC also for P3Dv4. However to echo what I said in my previous post I do think it was a bad decision to make long time customers have to pay full price only because they didn't upgrade right away to the new version of P3D.

If I decide to not buy FSUIPC again it will be because of that in combination with not being able to justify the cost to myself depending on how much I will actually use and need it.

Richard Åsberg

58 minutes ago, mickatmian said:

The free version of FSUIPC is required by one or other of the programmes I have installed (can't think which at the minute) but hey ho it's free.

I agree that in general there ought to be discounts for previous customers, but having said that it's Pete's prerogative to charge whatever he likes, and ours to look elsewhere.

Let me know how it goes.Mick

Just downloaded what I hope is the latest version (5.9) and at first launch I think it looks a bit over-complicated based on what I will use it for but will play around with it later tonight and decide if it's a keeper also in my book.

Richard Åsberg

I bought the new version and have no regrets. Dunno how much work was required to develop it but consider this: Quite a few developers are charging for their updates and may never update again update them. Pete regularly updates FSUIPC and is prompt to respond to requests for help. Doesn't ANY serious flight simmer need some of the features in the paid version.

To me, getting the new FSUIPC has priority over any new plane, scenery, etc 

Just my view and not intended to cause offense/

Neal H

• Upvote 3

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

16 minutes ago, OldFlyboy said:

Doesn't ANY serious flight simmer need some of the features in the paid version.

I don't know. Are you thinking of any particular feature?

2 hours ago, mickatmian said:

One question right away after only looking very briefly at this tool. Is it possible to not only tell it what key(s) to emulate when you press a button but also what key(s) to emulate when you let go of the same button?

In FSUIPC I used this for the reversers mapped to the buttons on my Saitek TQ where the lowest position of the levers are in fact buttons. In FSUIPC I had these buttons mapped like when the button is depressed (the lever is in its lowest position) that would send the FS command to decrease the throttle while releasing the button (moving the lever back up in idle position) would send the FS command to cut the throttle.

Looking at all the different options in this joy2key tool, I'm sure it's in there only that I didn't find it yet.

Richard Åsberg

36 minutes ago, OldFlyboy said:

I

To me, getting the new FSUIPC has priority over any new plane, scenery, etc 

Just my view and not intended to cause offense/

Neal H

Yup completely agree there.  It's a basic requirement for me before anything else.    I use it for all my axis assignment/calibration functions too

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Yup completely agree there.  It's a basic requirement for me before anything else.    I use it for all my axis assignment/calibration functions too

Agree.  I have used FSUIPC4 in FSX for years and now FSUIPC5 in P3Dv4 for all controls mapping / calibration and profile specific assignments.  I have created simple but valuable (to me) LUA scripts and I have some fairly complicated button assignments using press / release and multiple function assignments.  

• Upvote 2

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11