Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

FSUIPC and P3Dv4

I hear you guys and you keep saying it's a basic requirement but for what exactly?

Don't get me wrong. I like FSUIPC a lot just like you and am a long time user. I'm just trying to figure out why we require FSUIPC in 2017?

In the past I remember I used it for lots of things such as helping to polish off some rough edges of the weather effects injected into the sim, to run different lua scripts fixing things such as the bad ground friction, to monitor VAS usage etc.

Today however in P3Dv4 I'm honestly not sure why I need it anymore. If I would buy it again it would be for the ease mapping controller buttons to keyboard keys/shortcuts. I also used it for axes assignments up until now but so far doing that in P3Dv4 seems to be working just fine with zero issues.

Richard Åsberg

7 minutes ago, bbuckley said:

Agree.  I have used FSUIPC4 in FSX for years and now FSUIPC5 in P3Dv4 for all controls mapping / calibration and profile specific assignments.  I have created simple but valuable (to me) LUA scripts and I have some fairly complicated button assignments using press / release and multiple function assignments.  

Now reading this and how you create your own LUA scripts, then I fully understand why you need FSUIPC. However I doubt the average although serious flight simmer is developing his own LUA scripts.

For advanced button assignments and multiple profiles for different a/c etc I can also understand why you need FSUIPC.

Personally I'm not using multiple profiles and not particularly advanced assignments but maybe I'll still get the new version primarily because being lazy and thus find it nice using a software I'm comfortable using after all these years.

Richard Åsberg

11 minutes ago, WebMaximus said:

Today however in P3Dv4 I'm honestly not sure why I need it anymore. If I would buy it again it would be for the ease mapping controller buttons to keyboard keys/shortcuts. I also used it for axes assignments up until now but so far doing that in P3Dv4 seems to be working just fine with zero issues.

Mapping various aircraft control configurations is a one off process in FSUIPC.  Create them, save them and FSUIPC then remembers then whenever you switch aircraft.  Unless this has been changed in V4 you have to reconfigure the controllers every time you switch aircraft (a single piston to a multi-jet as an example) when using the sim's  control binding functions which was a huge pain in the ***

I have  a PFC yoke and throttle setup so different mappings are useful.

Hi Folks,

Yeah - still use it quite a bit - I found I would get throttle drift when using my HOTAS without it - it's much better with it - might not be an issue for you guys who use throttle control autopilots - but the planes I fly tend to not have them...

On the FSW Lear 35 - one user created and shared scripts to handle the custom autopilot functions and a myriad of other functions available in the cockpit - HUGE help... FSUIPC allows us to map them to keystrokes which also opens the door to voice control - on a certified two pilot aircraft and one where things happen as fast as they do in a Lear - FSUIPC almost a requirement...

Granted - this may be more a niche than generic use...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

6 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Mapping various aircraft control configurations is a one off process in FSUIPC.  Create them, save them and FSUIPC then remembers then whenever you switch aircraft.  Unless this has been changed in V4 you have to reconfigure the controllers every time you switch aircraft (a single piston to a multi-jet as an example) when using the sim's  control binding functions which was a huge pain in the ***

I have  a PFC yoke and throttle setup so different mappings are useful.

I don't fly multiple a/c but for those doing so I fully understand the convenience being able to use different profiles that will change automatically.

Again, FSUIPC and it's developer are both great - no question about that!

Richard Åsberg

Hi Neal

11 minutes ago, OldFlyboy said:

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned LINDA for button/key mapping.

Hi Neal,

That's because LINDA requires the registered version of FSUIPC and the OP was asking for alternatives to the registered version of FSUIPC.

Maarten

Maarten Boelens ([m][a:][R][t][ʏ][n])
Developer of SimLauncherX

ftx_supporter_avsim.gifC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

21 hours ago, WebMaximus said:

One question right away after only looking very briefly at this tool. Is it possible to not only tell it what key(s) to emulate when you press a button but also what key(s) to emulate when you let go of the same button?

I have not tried that myself but if you go to the edit screen, chose keyboard 2, click 2nd box from bottom that will possibly achieve what you want.

Mick

I ended up showing my gratitude towards Pete for all he's done for the FS community over all these years by purchasing his FSUIPC again.

• Upvote 1

Richard Åsberg

1 hour ago, WebMaximus said:

I ended up showing my gratitude towards Pete for all he's done for the FS community over all these years by purchasing his FSUIPC again

Pleased you are sorted again. At least you know it will do what you need.

In my home cockpit the only thing I cannot get to work without FSUIPC are the cowl flaps on the Realair Duke (which is the aircraft I mostly fly). To buy FSUIPC just for that is a bit extreme.

Mick

11 minutes ago, mickatmian said:

Pleased you are sorted again. At least you know it will do what you need.

In my home cockpit the only thing I cannot get to work without FSUIPC are the cowl flaps on the Realair Duke (which is the aircraft I mostly fly). To buy FSUIPC just for that is a bit extreme.

Mick

Yeah, figured it was the easy way and felt good supporting Pete.

Aren't we all a bit extreme by nature simply by spending year after year with all our add-ons, fixes, tweaks, new versions etc etc required to pretend you're flying in front of your PC :D

Richard Åsberg