Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

All sorts of bad landing

Was this a "landing" or was the pilot trying to take off? Possibly a last minute decision to "go around" maybe? :blink:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Holy.... He certainly wasn't trying to stop the plane before the car did it for him! The wheels were off the ground before he hit it. 

Found an article - he was trying to take off it seems.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/news/watch-aircraft-ploughs-parked-van-take-off-attempt-busy-road/

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Interesting take off technique lol. Actually, that thing probably would have got off the deck easily if the guy had known what he was doing. That's a Spectr-Aero SP-30, which is basically a knock off Russian copy of the Zenith CH701. A Zenith has a stall speed of about 30 mph and only weighs about 600lbs, so with a Rotax 912 in it, which is the most likely choice of engine, that SP-30 should easily have been able to get up to flying speed in the space it had available had the plonker at the controls not had the stick all the way back because it has all kinds of high lift devices on it including fixed slats all the way along the wing, I bet the thing can fly at 25 knots in ground effect.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

The pilot – who is not believed to have had permission to fly – attempted to take off in a light aircraft on the public Isherskaya-Kizlya road.

So... is it that the guy is not a real pilot, or just that he is a pilot but was not given permission to take off on a public road?  Depends on how you interpret that sentence.

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

4 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

So... is it that the guy is not a real pilot, or just that he is a pilot but was not given permission to take off on a public road?  Depends on how you interpret that sentence.

Well, the fact that he's driving the thing means he is a pilot, not necessarily a good one, or even a trained one, or even a trained one with permission to do what he's doing, but he is nevertheless the one in the driving seat, so I guess that makes him a pilot lol.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

When you are left seat you are considered pilot in command, and you are responsible for everything that happens while you are there.  If an instructor is present, he or she should call for a hand-off if the pilot isn't doing the job properly.  And if the pilot doesn't yield to the instructor, they should be held accountable for their actions unless it is some failure that they can't overcome.  Just like driving, the same type of rules apply.

I made a mistake and had a fender bender several years ago.  The person I hit wasn't injured, and his truck had a slight dent.  He was a good man, he went over to see if I was alright and he kept saying that it was an accident, that they happen.  He was happy I had insurance, someone hit him once without it.  We became instant friends, even though I was cited.  My citation was cleared after I passed an online driving course.  I maid a mistake and was happy to pay the consequences.  I drive much better today as a result.

Even the police officer that day was polite and comical, he just instructed me to drive home and call the insurance company.  I called it a perfect interaction with law enforcement and I felt my taxes were well paid.  When stuff like this happens, you just need to cooperate and let the first res-ponders do their job.  They will appreciate it and your respect.  That's why they are called Public Service Officers and Firemen.

When my dad hurt his back in 72, the first person on the scene was a police officer, who helped relive his pain in order to get him to a hospital.  I'll never forget that man, even though I don't remember his name, he was angelic in helping even though first aid wasn't his primary roll.  Because of him, my father was able to live another 25 years mostly pain free from his back, he escaped paralysis.  When people yell hate at policemen and firemen and generalize, I point out that the line officers do their duty, there's only occasionally some bad ones who don't.

John

• Upvote 1