Sign in to follow this  
jrgaz

Looking for a new challenging approach

Lugano LSZA IGS RWY 01 steep approach 6.65°, Courchevel sloped runway even Meribel, Reggio calabria LICR LOC A RWY 33, NICE LFMN Vor DME AZUR SALEYA RWY 22 L\R

Ok thanks simbio.  Do you manage to keep speed under control with the 6.65° glideslope in the NGX?

Anybody fly the KASE RW 15 approach with a 6.59° descent path.  Seems full flaps and gear can't keep speed down in my 736....  

London city......

Try the Horta (Portugal - Azores) LPHR HT Locator for RWY 28 (circling 10 for additional fun).

The runway has only 1595x45m, and has daily services from A320s direct to and from Lisbon (LPPT). There are several airports nearby to divert (Lajes AFB - LPLA, Ponta Delgada - LPPD and Santa Maria - LPAZ).

The procedure is a lot of fun with good weather with great views to Pico mountain (around 2000m height) on the neighbor island. With the usual bad weather of gusting winds, low ceilings and turbulence, aiming for a really short runway from an offset locator is a real challenge. 

Check the charts here:

http://folhetas.com/IVAOportugal/Charts/LPHR.pdf

There is a payware scenery on Simmarket from TropicalSim.

Here's a video from the cockpit:

And when this does get boring, try to do this: land and brake in 800m with an A320 with pax, cargo and fuel reserves:

Make sure to carry enough fuel to allow for a second attempt!

6 hours ago, odourboy said:

"There are only 25 pilots qualified to land at Paro Airport (IATA: PBH, ICAO: VQPR) in Bhutan. Nestled in the Himalayan Mountains, Paro sits 7,300 feet above sea level, surrounded by peaks as high as 18,000 feet, right on the banks of the river Paro Chu. The terrain is so unforgiving and the weather so severe that flights are allowed only under visual meteorological conditions and are restricted to daylight hours."

On 26/09/2017 at 1:44 PM, jrgaz said:

I love flying the LOC DME East Circling RW08 approach with all the fixes programmed in the fmc and the dangerous terrain.

Anybody fly any similarly challenging approaches in their NGX lately???  I like when there are numerous speed and altitude restrictions on my arrival routes.

Please share your favorites!

NZQN. 

I go there for skiing and the real world approach is absolutely incredible. The mountains and clouds...  Undescribable serene beauty. 

It’s not hard per say but it’s beautiful. All you do is follow LNAV & VNAV down through mountains to a few thousand feet and do the rest yourself. It can get a bit bumpy... The short runway is also nice.  I highly recommend hand flying as much of the departure and approach as possible.  Make the conditions crappy.  Absolute joy to fly. Even in an Airbus.

I love going there with ORBX (even though it doesn’t compare to the real thing at all...) and its only 2.5 hours from my home so it’s a perfect leg to do on a weekend arvo. 

11 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

The Riv Vis 19 into DCA is pretty fun, in my opinion. It's not physically constrained like some of the others mentioned here, but it does require some interesting maneuvering pretty close to the ground.

It's a real gas in the -88!

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

14 hours ago, jrgaz said:

This approach and landing is an RNP style conducted visually with ground reference maneuvers. A pilot flying a heavy jet at 135 LIAS VREF cannot just invent the entry procedure. It has to be flown precisely. For example, the 180 degree turn has to be coordinated to lose 2,000 feet from 11,000 to 9,000 and then you have to track left riverside next to the mountains and line up with the temple straight ahead. Necessary for the right turn onto the hill before the left turn to extremely short final. This procedure already carried out at Vref.

Many pilots in the world could qualify if trained, but the training is necessary for the procedure. Same with Toncontin.

21 hours ago, Chock said:

I'm pretty sure I was breaking every air law there is in order to manage it

In Columbia?? No problema amogo!! Tiene usted mucho pesos?

• Upvote 1

Vic green

26 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

In Columbia?? No problema amogo!! Tiene usted mucho pesos?

No, lo gasté todo en simuladores de vuelo

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

When I'm in serious danger of getting bored I turn off the AP at ~10000ft AGL on any plane into any airport... flying a proper approach without any help of AP/AT isn't boring, I promise.

21 hours ago, jrgaz said:

Ok thanks simbio.  Do you manage to keep speed under control with the 6.65° glideslope in the NGX?

Anybody fly the KASE RW 15 approach with a 6.59° descent path.  Seems full flaps and gear can't keep speed down in my 736....  

London city......

John, I don't think B737s can get into KASE.  I love the approach and have flown it with J41 and DC6 aircraft but I've never been tempted to try it with a NG.

Dan Downs KCRP

57 minutes ago, downscc said:

John, I don't think B737s can get into KASE.  I love the approach and have flown it with J41 and DC6 aircraft but I've never been tempted to try it with a NG.

You're probably right.  I know that CRJ's use the airport everyday so I figured the baby 736 could do it...

On 27/09/2017 at 9:44 AM, jrgaz said:

I love flying the LOC DME East Circling RW08 approach with all the fixes programmed in the fmc and the dangerous terrain.

Anybody fly any similarly challenging approaches in their NGX lately???  I like when there are numerous speed and altitude restrictions on my arrival routes.

Please share your favorites!

Sion LSGS in Switzerland can be challenging with its 6° IGS slope surrounded by mountains, followed by the last leg of the final in visual. It reminds me of LOWI, Innsbruck. The only problem is ive only been using the stock airport for it which is terrible and needed some modifications like IGS frequency and papi angle (not to mention the stock airport looks terrible). Flylogic have a payware for it which is compatible with p3d 2,3 and fax but not yet with P3Dv4. I couldn't find any freeware  for it either. I then did a YouTube crash course on photo real scenery using sbuilderx and fs earth tiles etc etc but that failed.