Sign in to follow this  
jrgaz

Looking for a new challenging approach

I love flying the LOC DME East Circling RW08 approach with all the fixes programmed in the fmc and the dangerous terrain.

Anybody fly any similarly challenging approaches in their NGX lately???  I like when there are numerous speed and altitude restrictions on my arrival routes.

Please share your favorites!

jrgaz,

This is very tongue in cheek but ... if you are really looking for a challenging approach and landing you may like to try the one shown in "all sorts of bad landings" I cannot believe the magnificent timing of these two posts LOL To arrive on the same day is much more than a coincidence.

You may, or may not, use the slightly second hand car shown at the end, as an optional extra. LOL

I just hope no one was hurt in this video.

However, I would also like to comment that ALL approaches and landings are a challenge whether it be in a sim or in real life. As pilots say "A good landing is simply a controlled crash and should be conducted visually" 

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Guatamala city is a lot of fun. Plenty of mountains around. I also get some satisfaction putting her into kMDW and kSAN with those short runways. With the volume of traffic at Midway I'm surprised by their safety record.

Vic green

13 hours ago, Copper. said:

MHTG - Runway 02. Is fun to do.

This! First get T2G MHTG Toncontin then spend three days flying the NORTH RNAV (RNP) O2 approach in a B737. I finally got pretty good at it.

Another one I enjoy is KEGE by Orbx, steep descent offset localizer and mountains.  Several good Alaskan locations worth getting into as well.

Dan Downs KCRP

The Riv Vis 19 into DCA is pretty fun, in my opinion. It's not physically constrained like some of the others mentioned here, but it does require some interesting maneuvering pretty close to the ground.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

"There are only 25 pilots qualified to land at Paro Airport (IATA: PBH, ICAO: VQPR) in Bhutan. Nestled in the Himalayan Mountains, Paro sits 7,300 feet above sea level, surrounded by peaks as high as 18,000 feet, right on the banks of the river Paro Chu. The terrain is so unforgiving and the weather so severe that flights are allowed only under visual meteorological conditions and are restricted to daylight hours."

• Upvote 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

KLGA Expressway Visual 31 is also a fun one.  Also, the RNAV Radius to Fix at Boeing Field is another techincally challenging one if the auto pilot isn't capable of flying it itself (I think the Dash 8 is the only FSX/P3D aircraft that can do this), and of course there is always Paro Bhutan and Runway 02 at Tegucigalpa's Toncontin Int. (MHTG) - recent charts for MHTG can be found HERE.  Also, the circle to land at Genova (LIMJ) and Madeira Funchal (LPMA) are both a lot of fun.

There are others, but those are my favorites.

Oh... there is some terrific freeware scenery for some of the above airports what works in FSX and P3DV3... I haven't tested them in V4 as I now have payware for all the above airports.  I believe you can find them all at www.freewarescenery.com/fsx.html.

Best wishes.

• Upvote 2

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Samos, for landing on the Greek island, the approach is know as a difficult challenge by real pilots... The final must be done with a minimum of speed because  you must align after a short circle imposed by landschape of mountains and you are very near the runway... ;-). No ils, only a VOR to help

The scenery of 29palms is spendid and the documentation well done.

In fms the procedure is specific with vectorisation. This is holyday destination and the procedure of approach is very strict because the proximity of Turkey...

Is one of mine prefered destination... Route from Athens to Samos... In A320 or Dash 8/400 or D228 (less difficult) this aircraft was well used by Olympic airways.

VNKT has some a great mountain avoidance RNAV approach and tricky circling/vor ones also

also some fun RNAV ones at NZQN

cheers,-andy crosby

As LPMA Madeira, the airport of La Palma, GCLA have a very short final... to be aligned with the runway is difficult because of a lot of wind or turbulances provocated by the montain. (use real weather, there are often winds).

on the rikko site this is a very good photoreal scenery with some canarian ´s airports, well done and free... For fsx or p3d 1,2,3 but  not 4

for v4, I isolated the .bgl of the orthophotos and found others sceneries of some airports (paywares) GCLA, GCXO and GCRR. Compatible v4.

good flights

Mark

As others have said, Toncontin is a good one, not actually hard, but it is entertaining how low you go over the nearby hill. If you want a laugh you could try and land your 737 on runway 10 at SKMZ La Nubia in Columbia. It's actually not served by 737s, usually turboprops such as the ATR-42/72, Dash 8/Q400 and Fokker 50 etc, but with full autobrake and reverse thrust, and a low weight, I reckon you could pull it off.

Edit: just tried SKMZ runway 10 in a 737, it is possible, but I'm pretty sure I was breaking every air law there is in order to manage it lol, and there may possibly be some tire marks on the roofs of a few houses near the threshold.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, Chock said:

Edit: just tried SKMZ runway 10 in a 737, it is possible, but I'm pretty sure I was breaking every air law there is in order to manage it lol, and there may possibly be some tire marks on the roofs of a few houses near the threshold.

LMFAO!!!

Yes, love LPMA.  Have Aerosoft's scenery package for the island(and Santo Porto)...

I've seen the videos of Airbus Captains landing at Paro Airport.  Whole approach is flown visually with experience as main flight aid...