Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Why won't my 777 Descend?

I've used ProATC since it first became available, is it perfect? Not by a long way, but once you get used to it's foibles it's one of the best ATC programs  you can get. If you need any help or advice take a look at the ProATC X Help  FB page here:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565/

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

I also find that often times during approach, PATC will tell me to descend, but I'll end up not capturing the GS because the descent that it gives me is not low enough.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

22 minutes ago, captain420 said:

I also find that often times during approach, PATC will tell me to descend, but I'll end up not capturing the GS because the descent that it gives me is not low enough.

Please post the issue on the ProATC support forum.

1 hour ago, captain420 said:

Jim, thanks for that info. I wasn't aware of that at all. I hope they will address this issue as it seems like an important one. 

ProATC-X is updated once a year and believe the next update is March 2018.  If they "fixed" the issue for one flight plan, it would not be fixed for another member using another flight plan so they just provide descent levels and hope you just follow the FMC data (or your charts).  They are pretty close to the top of descent shown in the FMC but cannot see how they can perfect that.  In the real world, you or your co-pilot would be monitoring the charts and navdata and, if ATC is not telling them to descend, they will contact them for instructions and ProATC allows you to do this by requesting that descent be initialized.  Fun stuff!

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

in my experience as long as you are flying a STAR pro-atc clearances should generally match the altitude restrictions in there. in fact they match a little too closely as some arrivals it will give you clearances every few nm to match each restriction which leads to the vnav wanting to level out at each restriction even if you intend a more constant descent. it is safe to assume that you will get those clearances though so generally you can just fly it like normal.

need to be careful if it is vectoring you however, as it will gladly put you into a mountain in that case :biggrin:

cheers,-andy crosby

16 hours ago, captain420 said:

I am flying with Pro-ATCX and its requesting me to descend down to 26000 feet... My plane currently in LNAN/VNAV mode... I dial the requested altitude 26000 in the MCP and push the button in, but the plane doesn't descend at all. Am I suppose to hit FLCH instead? I'm confused. I remember doing it how I normally do and thats to dial my desired altitude and push the button and the plane will start descending, but this time it didn't at all and I'm not sure why.

The method you are doing to try and descend is correct and I am not sure why it didn't work for you. Did it only do it once or can you duplicate it? Selecting a lower altitude in the MCP altitude window and pressing the selector should initiate a descent in the same manner as selecting DES NOW on the FMC VNAV DES page. It will go into a cruise descent until intercepting the normal descent path or the selected MCP altiude (whichever occurs first). Is this the Capt Sim 777 or PMDG one?

Cheers

Steve Hall

Steve, I'm using the PMDG 777.. it's how I've always initiated a descent. So I had to descend the plane by hitting FLCH in order to get it to go down. Cause the way I've been accustomed to doing it doesn't seem to work last night on my flight. 

Do you guys usually start descending when you see T/D shown on your MFD? Or do you descend a bit earlier? For those flying without ATC that is. Curious to know what others do in this scenario. When flying offline and without ATC, I usually initate my descent perhaps 10-20nm before the green T/D circle.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Was doing some reading on some older posts, and I guess your issue might have been that the alt intv button isn't active before 50nm from tod?  I just read that on another post and have been trying to verify in the docs, but an fcom and fctm isn't an easy place to find a quick answer, lol

If that's the case then that would explain why it didn't work. I believe PATC had me initiate a descent about 80+ nm out from the actual T/D that shows up on my MFD.

If more than 50 nm from TOD VNAV will begin a cruise descent when pushing MCP alt selector (at ECON cruise speed not descent speed) .  A new T/D will be generated if the altitude is captured well before the descent path.

Cheers

Steve Hall