Sign in to follow this  
JohnsonPBX

Upcoming Intel i7 8700K release

6 hours ago, JohnsonPBX said:

I still haven't quite understood this part. I have read that on Coffee Lake the single-core turbo goes up to 4.7 GHz and all-core goes up to 4.3 GHz. What does that mean? Does it mean that ONE of the physical cores (core 0 I guess?) can be pushed to 4.7 GHz while the others together top at 4.3, or does it mean that the 4.7 GHz could be reached only of all remaining 5 cores were disabled? (Which in practice wouldn't be possible or smart at all, would it?) I really am unaware if each core can have a different clock speed at a determined time or if they are always linked together.

Yes, your first statement is correct I believe; not sure how that will be in delivery of smooth fps etc as p3d etc do use multi cores and quite a bit; it may may things stutter a bit etc.  I have an older 6 core oc'd and it does max all cores at times loading scenery and autogen etc in v4;  In coffee lake, it is not intel turbo 3.0, still turbo 2.0 which has been out awhile.  So a straight oc to all cores maybe better in p3d v4 as they seem to have loaded stuff off to other cores and better and I have seen this work on my 6 core.  However, the main core is always plugging at 100% away while others at 30% meaning that it is still extensively single-threaded.  Think coffee lake will preform a little worse than the 7700k, in p3d, due to less oc headroom due to heat and more cores than its predecessor as a one core high oc and high ipc drive fps in the sim still, but perhaps a 'smoother' experience.   The 7700k delivers 5.0 ghz easily, albeit hot before a delid.  The 8700k will be way too hot for that as reports seem to say, but we will have to see...7700k maybe the last of its kind as we are heading to mainstream 6 cores now.  Hail the 7700k lol.

Simon

Hi,

I am in the same position running an old 2600K CPU but considering a new build.

The 8700K looks on paper to be slightly ahead of the 7700K based on some prelim tests. I saw reports of a ~1% improvement over the 7700K with single core and 40+% improvement on multi-core on stock clock speeds and more advantages when overclocked. We shall see how that really translates to flightsim performance when overclocking. I am sure there will be some reports of how the new CPU performs in this forum. The "5Ghz limit" appears to be related to the std TIM being used and it's heat resistant properties. I am sure this is a solvable problem.

Certainly from a  future-proof perspective, the new hex core would look to offer an advantage if you plan to run 64 bit sims later and a number of add-on applications.

I am wondering what the effect would be of the new quad channel memory that is supported by the new Z370 boards? More throughput presumably through the GPU but how does/would that translate/contribute overall to smoothness and overall performance for the sim?

Regards
Mark

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

Please note that i7-8700K according to Intel website supports "Max # of Memory Channels 2"

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD for P3D v4.5

Yes, you're right. My mistake on that.Thought it was the 8700K but was actually on the i7-7800X.

Cheers

Mark

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

17 hours ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

You're good! In Brazil you would have to double the budget in order to pay the several taxes involved. :-)

Wow, I can't complain that much then!

4 hours ago, simon747 said:

looks promising; will have to see what others say in time.

This. I was about to purchase 7th generation but preferred to wait. ASUS already announced their Z370 mobos. Let's see what happens in October.

5 hours ago, JohnsonPBX said:

Wow, I can't complain that much then!

This. I was about to purchase 7th generation but preferred to wait. ASUS already announced their Z370 mobos. Let's see what happens in October.

Yes, could be quite positive and good value for a 6c...

Simon

To the OP.. I am still on a 4770K@4.1 and can see no reason to "upgrade"..

It does the job, rather nicely  :cool: 

• Upvote 2

Bert

On 29/9/2017 at 11:27 PM, Bert Pieke said:

To the OP.. I am still on a 4770K@4.1 and can see no reason to "upgrade"..

It does the job, rather nicely  :cool: 

Well, I also think my 4770K works nicely. However, I'm running it at stock speeds (never overclocked it) and I am not going to overclock an almost 4 years old processor. At this point, it starts basically bottlenecking my system (not only because of the flight simulator but any other videogame or background programs); this keeping in mind that I'm going to stay with FSX for a while, which is even more CPU-hungry than P3D. Also, I want to upgrade my RAM memory from 8 to 16 GB thinking ahead to a future migration to P3D v4, but in order to do so I'd need to purchase a full set of 2x8 GB as I have right now 2x4. As of now I consider it is not worth it to invest in DDR3 memory anymore. Then, I have an excuse to upgrade: latest generation CPU / motherboard / RAM. Going from a stock 4770K to an overclocked 7700K/8700K and twice the RAM memory will give me a notable performance increase, I suppose.

2 hours ago, JohnsonPBX said:

Well, I also think my 4770K works nicely. However, I'm running it at stock speeds (never overclocked it) and I am not going to overclock an almost 4 years old processor. At this point, it starts basically bottlenecking my system (not only because of the flight simulator but any other videogame or background programs); this keeping in mind that I'm going to stay with FSX for a while, which is even more CPU-hungry than P3D. Also, I want to upgrade my RAM memory from 8 to 16 GB thinking ahead to a future migration to P3D v4, but in order to do so I'd need to purchase a full set of 2x8 GB as I have right now 2x4. As of now I consider it is not worth it to invest in DDR3 memory anymore. Then, I have an excuse to upgrade: latest generation CPU / motherboard / RAM. Going from a stock 4770K to an overclocked 7700K/8700K and twice the RAM memory will give me a notable performance increase, I suppose.

Why not overclocking it? You may well achieve pretty high clocks/performance just by doing it. Just have to make sure you motherboard is good at it and you have a nice cooler. I have an air cooler and achieved 4.5 GHz totally stable and P3D v4 runs nicely. This is actually what's making me think about (not) upgrading my rig this soon.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

Why not save the money for a new system, and then hold the money and overclock the old system. It it works fine (and age is not necessarily a factor for a CPU overclocking), then buy 16GB ddr3 ( which won't significantly slow your system), and spend the rest of the saved money on something more fun that a new system, that will son feel like an old system.

Or just buy a new system, but don't blame the CPU's age or DDR3 memory.

Don't get me wrong guys (I had a feeling I was saying something wrong when writing that reply anyway haha). I didn't mean to say DDR3 is obsolete, it is just that if I am to upgrade (I eventually will anyway), the most convenient case for me would be choosing DDR4 as I could migrate it to basically any further system in a short-mid term. It will be a while until DDR5 comes out and becomes a standard leaving DDR4 aside.

Regarding the processor, thanks for clarifying that—that should've been a question rather than a statement—as I thought that its age affected overclocking negatively. I could do that option as well, but at this point I honestly prefer to upgrade for the added performance. As you see, I only upgrade once every 3-4 years (or even longer), so a refresh in my opinion is just "about time".

Lastly, my plan is to build a second computer with the parts I already have and give it to my parents, so they can have entertainment on their spare time other than just watching TV—yes, I don't let anyone touch my computer when I'm not home. I could buy them a budget computer and keep mine, but with an upgrade both sides would be benefited.

Regards!