Sign in to follow this  
Guest JustanotherPilot

My XP11 is Dull and Flat looking, how do I fix?

4 hours ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

Now I really intrigued. Where are the program datarefs stored, how does one "tweak" permanently those datarefs I wonder.

You can do that writing a simple LUA script.

First, you have to install "FlyWithLua Complete Edition" (google it).

Then, you write a text file to set the specific dataref you want to use, for example this one:

set( "sim/private/controls/fog/fog_be_gone",0.2)

Save the text file with the .lua suffix, put it into the "X-Plane 11\Resources\plugins\FlyWithLua\Scripts" folder, and it will automatically set the dataref for you at every start of X-Plane.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Guest JustanotherPilot

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I decided to play around with the "Developer" menu in XP11 and found that if I adjust the settings in 'Show Sky Color' I get the desired effect, I haven't finished yet as there are numerous combinations yet to try. Here is one result compared with my original image.

Quite a difference! and getting more to realism for my flights, no more dull and flat but bright and sunny. Really enjoying XP11 (from a Prepar3D user). I look forward to many more VFR flights in XP11.

Steve

Original

Image01.jpg

New Sky

Image01_1.jpg

5 hours ago, Murmur said:

You can do that writing a simple LUA script.

First, you have to install "FlyWithLua Complete Edition" (google it).

Then, you write a text file to set the specific dataref you want to use, for example this one:

set( "sim/private/controls/fog/fog_be_gone",0.2)

Save the text file with the .lua suffix, put it into the "X-Plane 11\Resources\plugins\FlyWithLua\Scripts" folder, and it will automatically set the dataref for you at every start of X-Plane.

I obviously have lots to learn to be able to get the most out of these plugins...Yes I do have flywithlua installed and several related plugins that require it.

Writing my own scripts I didn't know about...this is very good!

Thanks!

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

8 hours ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

I obviously have lots to learn to be able to get the most out of these plugins...Yes I do have flywithlua installed and several related plugins that require it.

Writing my own scripts I didn't know about...this is very good!

Thanks!

Mastering (it's really easy) Lua is essential!

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

11 hours ago, JustanotherPilot said:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I decided to play around with the "Developer" menu in XP11 and found that if I adjust the settings in 'Show Sky Color' I get the desired effect, I haven't finished yet as there are numerous combinations yet to try. Here is one result compared with my original image.

Quite a difference! and getting more to realism for my flights, no more dull and flat but bright and sunny. Really enjoying XP11 (from a Prepar3D user). I look forward to many more VFR flights in XP11.

Steve

Try these sky colors (know how to?) and you won't need to fiddle with the sky color palette in each flight:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4422j4rt8usd0wf/colonels_sky_colors_xp11.zip?dl=0

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

13 hours ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

I have never used FlyWithLua and downloaded it today.  When I try to insert the - set( "sim/private/controls/fog/fog_be_gone",0.2).lua - it will not paste.  I read the instructions (probably missed something) , put it in WordPad++, but when saved, it turns into a .txt file.  What's wrong?

John

John Wingold

2 hours ago, Old_As_Dirt said:

I have never used FlyWithLua and downloaded it today.  When I try to insert the - set( "sim/private/controls/fog/fog_be_gone",0.2).lua - it will not paste.  I read the instructions (probably missed something) , put it in WordPad++, but when saved, it turns into a .txt file.  What's wrong?

John

It's normal that it's being saved with the ".txt" suffix. You have to manually change the suffix of the file, from (example) "myscript.txt" to "myscript.lua".

The content of the file itself (in this case: set( "sim/private/controls/fog/fog_be_gone",0.2) ) must NOT be suffixed with ".lua"!

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

14 hours ago, Murmur said:

must NOT be suffixed with ".lua"!

Thanks Murmur.  I'll give it a shot in a few!

John

EDIT --  Worked like a charm...  Thanks!

John Wingold

I personally use blu fx, the colour saturation adjustments can get your xplane very vibrant

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

AME GE90, GP7200 CFM56 

2 hours ago, Spam3d said:

I personally use blu fx, the colour saturation adjustments can get your xplane very vibrant

I have managed to get it. No doubt very good plugin.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3