floydcox

Black Screen Again

25 posts in this topic

The upcoming v2.4.8 update (tomorrow depending on last release candidate tests), includes additional hints during boot to help assess where it is stuck.

Basically, black screen = trainer not ready/not running, dark grey = trainer booting up, just wait for the trainer process to do it's thing - this is normal.

This shall help us find out what exactly is going on, otherwise help you wait patiently for the trainer process to startup.

Last but not least, the upcoming v2.4.8 runs with the GTN Trainer 6.41 and we've spotted something there which might induce a 'stuck' trainer at boot, which we are dynamically fixing at run time.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi, the v2.4.8 update is now live. It might help in this department.

Hi v2.4.8 seemed to be working well, just fired up xplane 11 and I am back to black screens. Anything I can try?

Hi, we are having similar hiccups on our end this morning, so this time, it is easier because we can monitor and track (debug) on our machines. We're working on this and I'll keep you posted. Please note easy doesn't mean quick! This is a kind of bug which is hard to trace precisely and this takes the time needed.

No problem, will post any news when possible, by the way I did a reinstall of the program and on loading Xplane my screen came up ready to use, don't know if this helps at all.

Usually restarting the device (either changing a setting like TCAD which reboots the device, or changing aircraft) helps, but this morning we are facing a case where even this won't work always.

Usually we never encounter this 'black screen' issue but once In a while and this is expected during development. So this is something we are actively looking since this morning.

A quick update: today was both a bad day, and a good day. Since we've started developing the GTN many months ago, we've never had a black screen issue, only once in while.

Today while working on the next update, we've never been able to get anything else than a black screen! Always! This is the bad news.

The good news: we've had our systems ready for debugging and we've been able to trace and find the most probable cause for the 'black screen'. It was a very nasty condition that we were lucky to stumble upon I order to discover its roots, but hopefully, the fix we've found today seems holding now.

We'll conduct more tests and issue an update soon. Please make sure to understand it is a probable cause which our fix seems getting rid off on our systems, and I certainly hope this is the same root cause happening on yours!