Sign in to follow this  
nealmac

Aviasoft EFB

21 minutes ago, J van E said:

What amazes is me is that no one talks about realism. Everyone wants planes that are as real as possible but when it comes to this kind of software I wonder how realistic it is. Do real airline pilots have the kind of software we are talking about? Do they have charts with a moving plane on it and things like that? I often get the idea simmers want full realism on one side but don't mind throwing realism out of the window on the other side. 

It's a good and fair question.

Yes sir, many do.

Electronic Flight Bags have were introduced some time ago and have been in use on some aircraft for quite a number of years.  Moreover, aircraft that have anyone of the varieties of FMS are essentially the moving map which shows the aircraft location and the flight plan along with crossing restrictions.  Sometimes even aircraft with FMS will have a EFB on a tablet.  Business jets have even more high end EFB systems than airliners, except maybe where the Boeing 787 is concerned... that aircraft has a rather incredible integrated EFB available for those customers who will pay for it.

The systems I'm speaking about are more capable than anything we have in flight sim.  Also... there are systems which will pick up ADS-B and display other traffic outside the range of TCAS, integrated weather, integrated ACARS data, etc.

Modern day EFBs and FMS are one of a very few areas in which technology designed for military use didn't lead he way... it's the other way around!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

What flight simmers do is incredibly diverse. You have some that won't use the GPS and mentally calculate where they are with the aid of tunable navaids. Then there are those that don't care about the plane and the operation in too much detail, but they look out the window and refer to a moving map as they enjoy the journeys.

• Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

3 minutes ago, SteveW said:

What flight simmers do is incredibly diverse. You have some that won't use the GPS and mentally calculate where they are with the aid of tunable navaids. Then there are those that don't care about the plane and the operation in too much detail, but they look out the window and refer to a moving map as they enjoy the journeys.

Very, very true Steve!

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

52 minutes ago, J van E said:

What amazes is me is that no one talks about realism. Everyone wants planes that are as real as possible but when it comes to this kind of software I wonder how realistic it is. Do real airline pilots have the kind of software we are talking about? Do they have charts with a moving plane on it and things like that? I often get the idea simmers want full realism on one side but don't mind throwing realism out of the window on the other side. 

What I want as a serious flight simmer is max situational awareness.

spacer.png

52 minutes ago, J van E said:

What I want as a serious flight simmer is max situational awareness.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, J van E said:

Do real airline pilots have the kind of software we are talking about? Do they have charts with a moving plane on it and things like that?

Yes, they do (Type B)

Or here:

777 EFB

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

18 minutes ago, guenseli said:

Yes, they do (Type B)

Or here:

777 EFB

You quoted a post and attributed it to me - that i did not make.  Magic!

Now where is that darned downvote button?

Dave Hodges

22 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

You quoted a post and attributed it to me - that i did not make.

Ah, sorry, you are right.

Fixed

Guenter Steiner

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester

Just now, guenseli said:

Ah, sorry, you are right.

Fixed

Thank you sir!

Dave Hodges

13 hours ago, Michael Moe said:

I bought EFB a long time ago but dropped it because of stutter in the sim (FSX i think)

How are your performance ?

Thanks

Michael Moe

Hi Michael,

I haven't noticed anything noticeable using my FSX rig. I have regularly swapped between running the DP on the same PC as FSX and also on networked Tablet PC and noticed no appreciable difference in performance or stutters when EFB was running.

On the networked Tablet PC I use for displaying the moving map, I am running wired LAN to my Flightsim PC not Wifi though.

Cheers

Mark

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

Anyone notice this in version 2

Vertical guidance and STAR fix settings disagreed

I noticed that on some STAR's the vertical guidance does not match the  STAR altitude setting.

I have AIRAC 1908.

Example, I was just on a LuckI1 into KSAN.  The STAR has HEELX to be between 15000 and 12000 but vertical guidance was asking for 11000.

I always try to follow the STAR (especially over any mountains) or ATC guidance when available (VATSIM)

Thanks

Ron