Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

Carenado c172 G1000

I was hoping to get feedback on this new release.

I'd like to ask the mods to please leave this topic here for a few days before it's moved.

Most simmers gravitate to this forum.

Thx

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

1 minute ago, Milton Waddams said:

Is it released now? I thought it was still in development?

YES.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

A Carenado G1000...basically a repurposed stock GPS

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

5 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

A Carenado G1000...basically a repurposed stock GPS

To be fair, Carenado are stating that the G1000 in this plane is a brand new version/development.   It has synthetic vision, which is a first for a G1000 simulation in domestic sims AFAIK.   It also apparantly has other new added functionality, including advisory VNAV, although I say "apparantly" because I don't own it yet!   I'm not sure any 172 is going to surpass the XP11 C172 with REP (for me).

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Synthetic Vision is an interesting pieces to the puzzle...not unique to the C172 though as it would appear.

emb505.png

Info regarding synthetic vision, from the front page:  

Synthetic Vision System powered by WebSimConnect (1 year subscription INCLUDED)

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

14 hours ago, WarpD said:

Info regarding synthetic vision, from the front page:  

Interesting, does anyone knows how much is the annual subscription? I like the synthetic vision development and I wonder if it could be applied to other planes IE Carenado Phenom 300 which is one of my favourites.

Regards,

Simbol

I'm wondering what you're actually subscribing for... and when the subscription runs out... does it lock down your G1000's display?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

6 minutes ago, WarpD said:

I'm wondering what you're actually subscribing for... and when the subscription runs out... does it lock down your G1000's display?

Hi Ed, I am wondering the same thing, that would be annoying and sad...

What are Mindstar plans for the future? any chance to get synthetic vision from your gauges? I would become a loyal customer :wink:.

Regards,
Simbol

1 hour ago, Chapstick said:

Carenado... more like Craptornado. 

Depends on what you are looking for. I personally am not looking for a 100% accurate study sim. I look at any simplification of systems as compensating for my lack of intensive professional flight training. It allows me to fly confidently without having to pore over the manuals for hours to learn something that a professional pilot would know intimately due to their years of training. In this respect, Carenado aircraft are the perfect choice for me in many cases. The fact that their visuals are second to none doesn't hurt, either!!

Russ

• Upvote 4

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

No one mentionned that the G1000 database is Navigraph upgradable ? Subscription previously mentionned are related to the update of the database.

To supplement Russ, here are my personnal thoughs : I'm using my PC sim to train in the cockpit. I don't care about flight dynamic which from my perspective, is far from "my reality" whatever sim it is (FSx, P3D, A2A, RealAir, x-Plane...). I mainly look for a 3D virtual cockpit with the maximum immersive ambiance to run through checlist, handle switches, etc... Carenado, like its sister company Alabeo, does the job.

I have maybe hundred of C172 G1000 real hours of flight and maybe this Carenado's addons will join my virtual fleet.

• Upvote 1

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

1 hour ago, Chapstick said:

Carenado... more like Craptornado. 

Bit harsh, even when referring to Carenado lol. And probably not too fair if you've not actually bought the thing. I haven't either, because I'm not a fan of the way Carenado do knock out stuff which is ropey on occasion and then don't fix it, but as is always the case, I'll certainly hold off on judging this one until the facts are in from those who take the plunge and buy it.

I like many others will attest to the fact that not all of Carenado and Alabeo's stuff is dodgy, just a lot of it is, and to be fair, their simpler normally aspirated GA aeroplanes are generally not bad flight wise, it's the turboprops which are usually a bit naff, and that's often compounded by the fact that turboprops generally have fancier avionics, which are sometimes not well simulated in their add-ons either.

But I think it is important to note a matter which often gets confused here and sometimes gets wrongly used in their defence: That is to say, it's not that I don't like simple aircraft, or even those with simplified avionics, I've got loads of those and they definitely have their place in my virtual hangar; what I don't like is simplified aircraft, or even complex aircraft with sloppy errors which don't get addressed, and I'm sure that is probably what you are alluding to Alex, because there is no denying that Carenado and Alabeo are guilty of that one, especially where turboprop engine modeling is concerned, but also with more complex avionics when they have had a stab at that.

So yeah, I see where you are coming from, but let's see what actual users report, because this thing, whilst being a normally aspirated GA aeroplane, so presumably not too bad in that regard, is one which has fancier avionics, and that is something Carenado don't have a stellar track record on. But you never know, the developer might actually be changing their tune a bit, although I'm not going to be holding my breath on that one until I hear otherwise, and really, they've only got themselves to blame for me and others thinking that way even if they genuinely have turned over a new leaf. Because if you give a dog a bad name....

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

2 hours ago, vbazillio said:

No one mentionned that the G1000 database is Navigraph upgradable ? Subscription previously mentionned are related to the update of the database.

The synthetic vision from WebSimConnect is what the 1yr subscription is tied to... Carenado has never offered a 1yr Navigraph subscription with any of their aircraft.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69