Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

Carenado c172 G1000

30 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

I cannot find the same guidance in the P3D Learning Center. 

Found it in the P3D Learning Center (learning center is in the Main P3D Directory).  Look under GPS.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

6 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Found it in the P3D Learning Center (learning center is in the Main P3D Directory).  Look under GPS.

Is there a learning center map in the Academic version? Or does it have a different name or lacation?

I have not been able to find it in my P3Dv4 directory.

Greetings  Kurt

MSFS, X-Plane 12

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 32Gb ram, RX 5700 XT 8Gb ram, 1TB SSD

5 hours ago, Vindeballe said:

Is there a learning center map in the Academic version? Or does it have a different name or lacation?

I have not been able to find it in my P3Dv4 directory.

First of all, there is absolutely no difference between the Academic or Professional versions of P3D.  When I open up the Learning Center, I have a sidebar where I can search.  I searched for Map and found hundreds of references to Map including Map so confused as to what you are asking.  Look in your P3D Main Directory (not the sub-folders) for Learning Center.

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

2 hours ago, Jim Young said:

First of all, there is absolutely no difference between the Academic or Professional versions of P3D.  When I open up the Learning Center, I have a sidebar where I can search.  I searched for Map and found hundreds of references to Map including Map so confused as to what you are asking.  Look in your P3D Main Directory (not the sub-folders) for Learning Center.

My fault, english is not my mother tung. :-) What I meant was folder, there is no learning center folder in my P3Dv4.

I found it on the PrePar3D website. 

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningCenter/LearningCenter.php

and there is a lot of good stuff there.

Sorry for the confusion.

Greetings  Kurt

MSFS, X-Plane 12

It is also in your main P3D folder.  There is no special folder for it in P3D.  It is in your main folder.

Submit News to AVSIM

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

It is also in your main P3D folder.  There is no special folder for it in P3D.  It is in your main folder.

Your right. :-)

I did not see the .chm file there, sorry.

I was looking for a folder, again, my fault.

Greetings  Kurt

MSFS, X-Plane 12

Since my last post on October 4, I have spent over 88 hours in 71 flights with this bird as part of Aerosoft's current round the world adventure.  While I have learned a lot more about this aircraft, I still have not mastered it.  But I have learned a few of its tricks though trial and error (it's not like there is any useful documentation!)

With respect to my prior comments, I was wrong in several respects.  First, it is possible to enter airways, but the Carenado has a funny way of doing it.  Assume I have a flight plan like: LIPN OSTEG L614 KOPER L12 LUMAV M726 GAVRA
Z806 OKBIS Y510 GITOD GITO1G LIRA .  The new G1000 does not group each leg under a different airway, that is, you don't have a section of airway M726, followed by airway Z806, followed by airway Y510.  Instead the Carenado version groups them all under one big airway.  It creates a new airway where it just adds the waypoints of each airway as you add it.

This make it impossible to add a waypoint which is not part of an airway between the airways.  Now there may be a trick to doing this, but I just have not figured it out.

Also, entering airways is not exactly intuitive.  In the absence of any meaning ful documentation, it is largely a matter of trial and error.

Also, the Carenado G1000 will not include certain waypoints or airports in a flight plan.  It recognizes them.  They will show up on the PFD with the synthetic vision, and even the MFD.  But when you try to load them into a flight plan, they simply will not load.  This means that it may not be possible to enter a destination airport into the flight plan.  I have been able to finesse this by using a navaid near the airport.  Where there is no nearby navaid, I have had to use a bearing and distance from a VOR, and go from GPS mode to Nav1 to reach my final destination.

Also, the Carenado G1000 does not show the departure airport on the flight plan.  Again, if I can start with a nearby navaid and use that, it is a minor problem --  especially if that navaid is part of an airway.  But sometimes it may be a fairly significant distance from an airport to the nearest navaid.

I realize the Carenado G1000 is definitely a work in progress and that prior versions did not even allow for the manual entry of flight plans; they only used the FSX flightplan.  So, the current version is an improvement, and a significant one.  But they certainly are taking their sweet time in delivering a functional G1000.

On a positive note, I love the synthetic vision.  I especially love it when coming into a dark dirt or grass unlighted airstrip after sunset.  (Yes, I know no sane pilot would ever do this, but I am not usually credited with being sane!)  Synthetic vision gives you a daylight view of the strip in the PFD as you approach and land.  I have always found dirt and grass strips difficult to see and located in FSX, but the PFD and MFD make it a breeze.  When the MFD is zoomed in, it is possible to line the plane up directly with the airstrip, while only making minor corrections.  The PFD has a nice flag to confirm what you can see in the MFD is correct.  As you land, the appearance of the strip in the PFD lets you know if you are on the center line (which of course would never appear ion most dirt strips, and gives a pretty close indication of altitude (along with the callouts).

It would be nice if it were possible to use the Mindstar G1000 since that appears to do a better job with G1000 functionality.  But alas, the Mindstar G1000 does not work with Carenado aircraft.  Of course I would be quite happy with a Mindstar G1000 popup.  (But, I don't know if I would trade that for the synthetic vision, which is super cool.)

One downside of this model is that it seems to require a lot of negative trim, even when I am not flying a loaded flight.  I typically start with pitch trim set a -5 for an unloaded flight and -13 for a loaded one.  I have seen instances where I set the vertical climb speed (on a fully loaded flight) of 200 fpm, and the auto-pilot has the downward trim set at -26.

The plane has a nasty tendency to shoot up and go ballistic, as if it were rocket.  The problem is, when it tries to climb at 2000 feet a minute, it inevitably stalls.  When trying to correct it, it starts porpoising, making manual correction difficult, and deadly at lower altitudes.  I have not had this problem with other aircraft, so I am assuming it is a bug with this one.

I have also found that this aircraft has a nasty tendency to unbind the bindings in FSUIPC.  It is particularly frustrating when taking off or landing only to find that you have no elevator control.  I often have to pause the flight and reset the FSUIPC bindings.  Again, this is not a problem I have experienced before.

And yes, it is really disconcerting when your c172 thinks it is an F16 and goes ballistic, climbing at 2000 fmp, and you have not elevator control!

The speed hold (FLC) seems to be worthless, and even dangerous, to use.  Instead of holding speed and climbing from there, the FLC holds the speed to just a hair above the stall speed as it tries to shoot up at 2000 fpm.  Of course, the plane stalls because C172s cannot climb at 2000 fpm, at least, not for long.  If you try to use the FLC, don't be surprised when your plane stalls.

I have not played with the VNAV switch.  I would note that the default altitude for all waypoints in the flight plan is 40,000 feet.  I don't know about you, but I don't think it is possible to fly a 172 at 40.000 feet. short of going to the map and setting the altitude at 40,000 feet.  However, it does seem possible to edit this in the flight plan.  On the other hand, it would seem to make more sense to set the altitude for these waypoints at the cruise altitude, rather than at 40,000 feet.  There seems to be no effort to calculate climbing and descending altitudes, so the pilot would need to do this manually (or use a program like simbrief or Active Sky to calculate these for you.  Also, the VNAV will not provide TOC or TOD points.

Not that this matters, because I have yet to find a way of entering custom waypoints.  Of course, there may be a way of enterering custom waypoints, but the documentation is silent on this (snark! snark!)

I still have not figured out how to save a flight plan.  Given that FSX like to crash every six flights or so, sometimes in mid flight, sometimes at takeoff, sometimes at landing, it would be nice to be able to restore a flight plan.  Since there is no remote for the G1000, as in other planes, it can take a while (like 10 to 15 minutes) to input a flight plan by fiddling with knobs that don't want to fiddle.

Oh, yes, and it is possible to set a course.  You just have to find the right click spot at the very bottom of the CRS/BARO knob.  Most of this knob changes you baro setting. But there is a teeney weeney itsy bitsy click spot at the bottom of the knob. Also, you have to be in the right mode.  That is if you want to change course for NAV1 mode (like for your ILS), you need to be in NAV1 mode in the PFD.  You cannot change a NAV1 course from GPS mode.  Generally, I will put the plane in heading mode before I start fiddling with the course for an ILS landing.  Fortunately, the default ATC gives you your runway assignment a long time (like an hour) before you have to land -- so you have plenty of time for knob fiddling.

Of course, it is possible to go into the airport information page and scroll down to the frequency for you ILS, and hit enter.  Knowing which knobs to turn, which buttons to press is something of a matter of trial and error because of the lack of documentation.  In fact, this process is much more time consuming than simply looking up the ILS frequency and entering it manually.

On ‎22‎.‎10‎.‎2017 at 10:38 PM, tjstreak said:

1.One downside of this model is that it seems to require a lot of negative trim, even when I am not flying a loaded flight.  I typically start with pitch trim set a -5 for an unloaded flight and -13 for a loaded one.  I have seen instances where I set the vertical climb speed (on a fully loaded flight) of 200 fpm, and the auto-pilot has the downward trim set at -26.

2.The plane has a nasty tendency to shoot up and go ballistic, as if it were rocket.  The problem is, when it tries to climb at 2000 feet a minute, it inevitably stalls.  When trying to correct it, it starts porpoising, making manual correction difficult, and deadly at lower altitudes.  I have not had this problem with other aircraft, so I am assuming it is a bug with this one.

1. Why is this a downside?  The more nose down trim you need the more efficient the plane is flying.  

With the pitch trim neutral, the default loadout and 50% fuel she climbs at around 70kts.

Even at 120kts and the most aft CG I can't get more than 16 units nose down trim. Suggest to re-check your loadout.

2. Didn't observe this behavior or a 2000ft/min ROC. It seems that FLC tries to climb at around 60kts. So when you cruise at e.g. 120kts, select a higher alt and push FLC, the AP pitches up to get the speed down to approx 60kts (regardless of the set speed) and after reaching this speed the ROC settles at around 800-900ft/min.

As IRL, FLC needs to be observed carefully and usually tends to hunt, even in heavy airliners, which is rather uncomfortable for passengers.

Thank you.  I did some more experimentation with this aircraft.  I added a co-pilot, but no other passengers or cargo.  I applied no extra trim and one notch of flaps.  I took off at full throttle.  I barely touched the yoke.  The plane initially jumped to a climb of 1500 fpm, but eventually settled down to a speed of 70 knots and a climb of 400 to 600 fpm.

The FLC switch does not work quite as you state.  In its default state, it will climb at a rate of 70 knots.  However, in reading the Garmin G1000 pilot's guide ( http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/190-00498-07_0A_Web.pdf ), apparently, the speed of the climb should be set at the speed the plane was going when FLC was activated.  This is a  minor knitpick.

More importantly, it is possible to change the speed the FLC climbs at.  The nose down button sets the speed higher and the nose up sets the speed lower.  There is a speed bug indicator on the top of the speed tape, which advises the speed the FLC is set at.

The Garmin manual also states that by depressing the CWS button (Control Wheel Steering), one can fly the plane manually to the speed one wants to climb at, and upon releasing this button, the FLC will be set at the speed one was flying manually.  The FLC button in the model can be seen on the top of the yoke, and if appears to be  non functional.  I have yet to find a binding in FSUIPC so I can assign it to a button on my yoke.

Without much documentation, a lot simply has to be learned by trial and error.

14 minutes ago, tjstreak said:

I applied no extra trim and one notch of flaps.  I took off at full throttle.  I barely touched the yoke.  The plane initially jumped to a climb of 1500 fpm, but eventually settled down to a speed of 70 knots and a climb of 400 to 600 fpm.

As the flaps induce a nose up moment you have to anticipate this and counteract with nose down trim.

Btw, except for very short runways or soft surface runways you don't need flaps on the 172 for take off and you definitely don't climb with extended flaps.

Without flaps she certainly doesn't 'jump' into the air and into a steep climb with neutral trim.

It's the wrong way not, or only barely touching the yoke. You have to actively fly the plane.

Trim is only used to trim away the force you need to keep the yoke constantly deflected.

Point is that if you take off with neutral trim she will be perfectly in trim for a flaps up climb at approx 70kts. 

Btw, I don't think that this 172 has a CWS. Way too difficult to implement.

BTW, I don't want anyone to get me wrong:  I really like this model.  In fact, it has become my favorite Carenado aircraft (and I have most of them).  If I want a light GA aircraft, this may be my go to model.

That does not mean it is without flaws, or that it cannot be improved (custom waypoints in the G-1000 and the ability to save plans would be a great improvement.  I believe one can save flightplans in the X-Plane version)  I would really like to see this G-1000 included in Carenado's other G-1000 aircraft.

Hello,

I bought this aircraft as well and I found out some issues when I flight in IFR.

Firstly, when the aircraft capture the Loc and after the GS the both mod stay in white color instead of green 

Secondly, on the top of the PFD the FPL information in magenta color stay stuck on the first leg and don t follow the flight plan automatically (after each leg I have to do "active leg" each time if I want the FPL information in magenta color on the PFD)

Someone has the same thing as me?

On 29/09/2017 at 5:42 PM, simbol said:

This is the sort of things that I hate from flight sim developers, you suppose to create add-on's that anybody can use and install even if they don't have a clue about computers.

You cannot assume that every user is a tech expert.

I hope you get it sorted Jim, I think your best shot is to contact the websimbrowser developer.

All the best,

Simbol 

Click the Svs.exe file in the folder:  Simobjects/airplanes/carenado_c172sp_g1000.  

Then when you are in the a/c click PFD then SYN VIS.  There are 6 toggle soft keys which add sythetic vision layers.  

Hope that helps