Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

For the PTA and ENVTEX experts in here

23 minutes ago, tecto said:

Ok so I understand that PTA and Envshade do the same things, however with PTA I can set all things manually. Right?

I have REX texture direct with soft clouds - is it reasonable to switch to Envtex - do both make the same things?

Or is it reasonable to use them both - Envtex and REX?

EnvTex uses less Shader tweaks than PTA. They are fixed presets. 

EnvTex is 2 presets . PTA is multiple presets that can be tuned to your personal taste.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Ok but - still regarding REX and Envtex - what about things other than clouds?

Does Envtex cover all things which REX offers? I mean for instance - runway markings, signs etc.

20 minutes ago, GSalden said:

EnvTex is 2 presets . PTA is multiple presets that can be tuned to your personal taste.

... You mean ENVSHADE and not EnvTex :happy:

9 minutes ago, tecto said:

Ok but - still regarding REX and Envtex - what about things other than clouds?

Does Envtex cover all things which REX offers? I mean for instance - runway markings, signs etc.

Most people use ENVTEX to work together with ASCA for dynamic sky texture replacment. REX is static in this regard. Whether to choose REX or ENVTEX depends on your personal preferences.

Look here, and see what ENVTEX has to offer:1.jpg

In my opinion, ASP4+ASCA+ENVTEX in connection with PTA or ENVSHADE is a perfect combo. I am saying this as a previous ASP4+REX user.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

2 hours ago, Cargostorm said:

... You mean ENVSHADE and not EnvTex :happy:

Most people use ENVTEX to work together with ASCA for dynamic sky texture replacment. REX is static in this regard. Whether to choose REX or ENVTEX depends on your personal preferences.

Look here, and see what ENVTEX has to offer:1.jpg

In my opinion, ASP4+ASCA+ENVTEX in connection with PTA or ENVSHADE is a perfect combo. I am saying this as a previous ASP4+REX user.

Hi Chris,

I've often wondered about that. As I see it, the "problem" is that the PTA lighting tweaks depend on the Sky textures currently in use. If these are changing then so will the in-sim lighting of various elements, so there may be situations when the sim just looks wrong. 

I have preferred to follow Adam's advice by installing his recommended set of Sky textures from REX4 Texure Direct. All his Presets have been tuned carefully to produce a natural visual experience while using those Sky textures. For me this seems to work in a wide variety of circumstances and continues to encourage me to explore the virtual world which, as often as not, appears extraordinarily and uncannily beautiful and, for most of the time, close to what I would regard as being reality.

http://www.nzfsim.org/index.php?dsp=PTA&id=90&preset=26_01#90

Currently, I am using ASP4 + ASCA (Clouds but not Sky Colors, Full Dynamics, ASCA Integration Disabled) + ENVTEX (Cumulus, Cirrus and Sky all OFF).

Regards,

Mike

5 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Hi Chris,

I've often wondered about that. As I see it, the "problem" is that the PTA lighting tweaks depend on the Sky textures currently in use. If these are changing then so will the in-sim lighting of various elements, so there may be situations when the sim just looks wrong. 

I have preferred to follow Adam's advice by installing his recommended set of Sky textures from REX4 Texure Direct. All his Presets have been tuned carefully to produce a natural visual experience while using those Sky textures. For me this seems to work in a wide variety of circumstances and continues to encourage me to explore the virtual world which, as often as not, appears extraordinarily and uncannily beautiful and, for most of the time, close to what I regard as being reality.

Currently, I am using ASP4 + ASCA (Clouds but not Sky Colors, Full Dynamics, ASCA Integration Disabled) + ENVTEX (Cumulus, Cirrus and Sky all OFF).

Regards,

Mike

Are you using PTA shaders or do you have the 'off' select on ENVTEX and use ENVSHADE? Or do you not use any specialized shaders?

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

5 hours ago, Lenny777 said:

Are you using PTA shaders or do you have the 'off' select on ENVTEX and use ENVSHADE? Or do you not use any specialized shaders?

Hi Lenny,

Just Matt's PTA which applies Adam's carefully crafted collection of tweaks, contained in his latest Preset, to various parameters in several default P3D v4.1 Shader files in the ShadersHLSL folder.

Regards,

Mike

14 hours ago, Cruachan said:

Hi Chris,

I have preferred to follow Adam's advice by installing his recommended set of Sky textures from REX4 Texure Direct. All his Presets have been tuned carefully to produce a natural visual experience while using those Sky textures. For me this seems to work in a wide variety of circumstances and continues to encourage me to explore the virtual world which, as often as not, appears extraordinarily and uncannily beautiful and, for most of the time, close to what I would regard as being reality.

http://www.nzfsim.org/index.php?dsp=PTA&id=90&preset=26_01#90

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I think your approach is just right as well, i.e. to use a established PTA that works well with a specific set of sky textures. I also use PTA in combination with a specific set of REX4 sky textures and it gives me nice results, although there is no variation. I have also tried Adam's PTA presets, but they require HDR ON in the settings. I have HDR OFF because it looks less milky and more sharp for my eyes.

If somebody does not want to spend time with tweaking and trying out PTA presets, ENVSHADE and ENVTEX in combination does a nice job. I would not say better than a well defined PTA preset in combination with a specific set of sky textures. Just different. Exciting times we have...

Regards,

Chris

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

23 hours ago, GSalden said:

I'm using your 12 month ones, they are awesome. Love how dark the night is now. I hope the night settings are the same for all 12 months as middle of the night is dark no matter the month.

Eric 

2 hours ago, B777ER said:

I'm using your 12 month ones, they are awesome. Love how dark the night is now. I hope the night settings are the same for all 12 months as middle of the night is dark no matter the month.

Then you might take a look at v10 , which is the current version with multiple improvements...

http://members.casema.nl/gsalden/PTA2-Saldo 4_1 All months.rar

regards, Gerard

• Upvote 3

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

On ‎28‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 5:32 PM, WebMaximus said:

I just upgraded to P3Dv4 coming from P3Dv3.2 and figured I would give this PTA a go after reading lots of good things about it and how it transforms your simulator into something looking more real than ever.

So far I've only tried the preset called MattDavies_v1.1 that comes with PTA and pta2-preset-thopat-2_1 which I downloaded. Of these two I prefer the MattDavies one I think but might play around a bit more with the thopat one as well. Also noticed looking at the description of pta2-preset-thopat-2_1 that you're supposed to adjust both the HDR as well as many other settings which I didn't do at this time so maybe that will make things a lot better. Found it very dark unless it was during full daylight.

What I really would like to ask is about the integration with ENVTEX. There's a box in the ENVTEX interface where you can put in the path to PTA but I don't really understand the point doing that since PTA comes with its own UI where you simply choose your preferred preset (or make your own settings) and then hit apply.

Will do some reading in the documentation as well but thought I would just throw out a quick question here too hoping for some good advice how to use these two programs together for best results.

Have just purchased PTA2.6 and Envtex for P3Dv4 - everything seems to be working ok and using it with the SASS project presets - however little bit confused.

In the set up guides I have read my Envtex should give an option at bottom left of the setup screen to point to my PTA folders and that also lets you select PTA shaders under all the other options - don't seem to have either of these options! in addition the banner at the top of the program says EnvDir rather than EnvTex (which is shown in the setup guide I am using) - so how can I integrate the two programs and switch off the Envtex shaders? - any help appreciated.....................?

Note: just noticed right at the bottom of the set up screen there are some shader options but they are under the heading of Envshade but are all unselectable! assume because I don't own envshade?

I would suggest you post your question in the TOGA support forum.

These days I don't use PTA but URP which I like better. 

Richard Åsberg

9 hours ago, WebMaximus said:

I would suggest you post your question in the TOGA support forum.

These days I don't use PTA but URP which I like better. 

thanks for the reply

already posted there and it seems the shader (use PTA) option is no longer an option as they are not supporting integration with PTA any longer as they released there own shaders.........................also the latest software to integrate all there products is called"EnvDir"