Sign in to follow this  
belongedtoair

Terrible performance with decent laptop?

Hey guys,

Recently I got a new laptop which has 7700hq, 16 gigs ram, gtx 1050Ti (4GB). I downloaded the demo and run it. All default. I could barely see 20-22 frames. So I set all the sliders to the left, turned of everything that might have an impact, still the same result.

What could be the problem? I thought I would get a smooth simming around mid settings. 

So any ideas or recommendations for this issue?

Thanks and regards.

The problem is it's a laptop. And a 1050ti is not a very powerful card

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

47 minutes ago, belongedtoair said:

Hey guys,

Recently I got a new laptop which has 7700hq, 16 gigs ram, gtx 1050Ti (4GB). I downloaded the demo and run it. All default. I could barely see 20-22 frames. So I set all the sliders to the left, turned of everything that might have an impact, still the same result.

What could be the problem? I thought I would get a smooth simming around mid settings. 

So any ideas or recommendations for this issue?

Thanks and regards.

U should be able to get better fps then that if your using low settings.  What is your GPU usage, CPU usage, and VRAM usage?

Matt Wilson

Well with all sliders to the left I monitored and all cpu,gpu and ram usage are about %40 white I'm getting 20 fps.

But I found something interesting, when I run sim in windowed mode, my frames came up to 40's with low-mid settings. As soon as I enter fullscreen, it still going down. Any idea why this is happening? It seems something like a frame limiter but I haven't seen a option for that.

52 minutes ago, belongedtoair said:

Well with all sliders to the left I monitored and all cpu,gpu and ram usage are about %40 white I'm getting 20 fps.

But I found something interesting, when I run sim in windowed mode, my frames came up to 40's with low-mid settings. As soon as I enter fullscreen, it still going down. Any idea why this is happening? It seems something like a frame limiter but I haven't seen a option for that.

Try going fullscreen, but set in X-Plane the minimum resolution (I think it's 1280 x 720). If the framerate stay high, then you found the culprit, i.e. the GPU is the bottleneck and is not able to keep up at the native resolution of your laptop.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

40 minutes ago, belongedtoair said:

I lowered the resolution to minimum, all the other sliders at minimum too. Doesn't make any difference in fullscreen, still about 20 frames.

What happens if you maximize the windowed screen (but without going fullscreen)? Does the FPS decrease?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Is it one of those dual graphics card laptops, if it is you may find its using teh stock card, and you have to go to the Nvidia control panel to ensure it uses teh Nvidia card when running xplane.

Yes it has two gpu's but I double checked control panel, it uses the nvidia card. I'm about to do a fresh driver installation to see if it makes a difference.

By the way I also use p3d v4 and able to run it on mid-high settings while getting around 35 frames with addons. 

I'm very confused.

As a workaround for now, you can use it windowed but with the maximized window. It isn't much different from full-screen, especially if you have the Windows taskbar minimized.

Then you can report this issue as a bug at: http://dev.x-plane.com/support/bugreport.html

Well I checked nvidia drivers page and saw a new version of driver, so I made a clean install and issue seems to be gone. 

Note: I am using 385.69 version right now. 

Thanks again guys.

Good to hear. Be nice to know what fps you are getting full screen now and with what settings as a reference.

Chris

I'm using 1920x1080 as screen resolution.

Visual effects: High(hdr)

Textures:High

AA: 2x SSAA+FXAA

World objects:High

Reflections: Minimal

Only addon I use is 737 zibomod, with this aircraft, around KSEA(default) I get about 24-33 frames which is both usable and eye candy for me. 

And I just found "Rendering Options" addon made by rhpa23. So I can get deeper into graphical settings and maybe gain a bit more performance.