Sign in to follow this  
Jammin16

Problem with uninstall FSX:SE

Hi every one
I have uninstalled FSX: SE and I have used this guide:

I can not remove this file ► Computer ► Your FSX Location ► Steam ► steamapps ► common ► FSX

Can you help me read that?

Where was FSX-SE installed?  In what directory?  Look for something like C:\ (C:\ is an example as to where your FSX-SE was installed)\Steam\Steamapps\Common\FSX.  If you see the folder, delete it.  If you do not see the folder, it was deleted.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

When I tried to delete my FSX-SE folder, a message appeared saying that I needed permission, but I couldn't find any way to gain that permission. However, I found that I could go into the folder and delete all its contents, and I was then able to go back and delete the folder itself. Could be worth trying.

Dugald

Hello guys, I'm glad you can give some help.
What Muklum says is the same as I experience that a box appears and says I need permission?

Even though I'm trying again, I still can not delete that folder.

Did you disable UserAccessControls?  (in Windows search bar, type UAC, click on how to change UAC). 

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I have just tried what you said but I could not find UAC?

Would not it just be easier if I reset the pc ???

Although I would rather avoid format the PC.

2 hours ago, Startour said:

I have just tried what you said but I could not find UAC?

You can try restoring your computer to a time before your problems occurred if you have restore point for that.  I have never tried restore points.

Submit News to AVSIM

+Jim Young

I have removed the file, I just did what Muklum said I could do.

But that did not help because when I tried to reinstall FSX: SE, I was notified that the game was already installed.

I can not find more files so I do not know what I can do. I think the easiest thing is that I format my PC?

1 hour ago, Startour said:

But that did not help because when I tried to reinstall FSX: SE, I was notified that the game was already installed.

Perhaps the following guide here on AVSIM will help -

You cannot reinstall because the System Registry still shows FSX-SE is installed.  When you select 'uninstall', the program is supposed to completely uninstall but it probably ran into permissions to uninstall as Windows does not want some evil person to come onto your computer and remove items from your registry without your permission.  The "uninstaller" probably thought you were me or John Doe and did not complete that action.  I use a program called IObit Uninstaller 7.  When I tell it to uninstall a program, it uninstalls a program and even does a power uninstall and looks for remnants of a program and asks me if I want to delete those files too.  Of course, I tell the uninstaller, "delete the files!  I do not want the program anymore!!"  It does what I tell it.  The one used by Windows is a wuss and afraid they will make you mad.

There are also many Registry Cleaners like CCleaner.  I use Advanced SystemCare 10.

I have also found a program that might save you from reinstalling Windows and I discuss that on page 23, AVSIM CTD Guide.  The program was developed by a bunch of Microsoft Techs and it does a good job of bringing back your version of Windows to what it was when you installed Windows.  It does not mess with any programs installed or your User Account. 

You might also do the System File Checker as I discuss on Page 13 of the Guide.  You can have corrupted files and that makes flight simulation no fun.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Word of warning.

Only use apps like CCleaner to remove apps, not to uninstall and then reinstall. The reason is you may lose registration details and have to reregister the app unnecessarily. Only ever use the Control Panel, Remove apps in those cases.

Apps don't leave stuff in the registry because they are evil, they leave it in there so your reinstalled app picks up some details from before.

When any app runs, the registry will have many items added by windows, simply because it tracks what you do, these are not removed by the Control panel app.

Using a reg cleaner can be worth using to forever eliminate a program and associated registry entries. FSX:SE can be hand removed in a few minutes.

Deleting the Folder and finding you don't have permission, but then find you do with the folder empty is not a permissions issue. That's most likely the steam menu system holding it open, and so you get access to delete denied.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

In the case I mentioned above, I first uninstalled via Steam, but this didn't remove the FSX-SE folder (with unwanted clutter and modifications) from my HD, and it was at that point that I couldn't get permission to delete the folder. Once I had succeeded in deleting it as described, Steam was perfectly happy to perform a clean re-install. If Steam thinks the OP still has FSX-SE installed, maybe he needs to instruct Steam to uninstall it before it will re-install.

Dugald

Edited by Muklum
Afterthought

Hey guys

Thank you for your information and knowledge before uninstalling FSX: SE. I would try some of your advice over the coming weekend. I have got a program called 'geek' can i use it ???

But again many times thanks for your help just the way forward. I'll write to you guys when I've looked at things.

I would try to keep this forum up until this problem is resolved.

Hi every one.

First of all, I would like to apologize many times that I am writing to you today, I have been busy with a lot of things that have prevented me from writing in this forum.

But now I'm back and I have still not solved my problem I've tried to have time to look a bit on it running but not completely. It's only today that I've really had time to look at it again if I could solve my problem.

I hope you still wanted to help me.