Sign in to follow this  
DTG_Cryss

Update 13 (1.3.21135.0) Now Live

Things are getting visual in our update this week, with some long-awaited trueSKY updates coming into Flight Sim World. 

That's not all though, with some major revisions to the PBR engine that will overhaul how things look inside the cockpit.

Read on for the full update notes:

Advanced Weather

• Introduced ‘Stable cloud motion’ graphics display option to reduce the cloud edge motion artefacts during travel.
  • Reinstated rain audio effects for the internal cockpit views
  • Improved stars visibility at night

Please Note: Stable Cloud Motion is currently an ‘opt in’ setting. We encourage players to feedback on any performance of visual issues experienced by their setup. Pending community feedback, this will default to "on" in the sim for the next update. 

Aircraft

• PBR improvements have now been applied to all core aircraft

User Interface

• Flights and flight plans can now be launched by double-clicking them.
  • Flight planner automatically populates with data from your last flight
  • “Show log in menu” and “Auto-open” ATC window options added
  • Adds support for missing French characters
  • Tick no longer appears on mission pack cards when not all missions have been completed

Engine

• PBR lighting model updated to improve representation of real-world material properties.
  • Scenery alpha-test threshold updated to reduce distant autogen pop in.
  • German keyboards now supported

That's it for the update this week, let us know what you think!

• Upvote 4

Dovetail Flight Community Manager: Catch me on Twitch

Thanks for the update, it's getting better and better, please consider as a DLC aircraft the Fairchild F-27 and Fairchild Hiller FH-227, no developer has offered these two aircraft yet, they were very popular with airlines in the U.S., Piedmont, Delta, Britt, Mohawk, Ozark, United, Northeast, just to name a few, thanks.

Looking forward to this update.  Thank you Cryss!

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

32 minutes ago, jymp said:

please consider as a DLC aircraft the Fairchild F-27 and Fairchild Hiller FH-227, no developer has offered these two aircraft yet, they were very popular with airlines in the U.S., Piedmont, Delta, Britt, Mohawk, Ozark, United, Northeast, just to name a few, thanks.

Whilst it is true that there is no Fairchild F-27 for FS, the Fairchild F-27 was basically a license-built version of the Fokker F-27 Friendship and there is indeed one of these available (and very nice it is too, having got quite a few nice reviews from numerous places). See the Just Flight web store, where it costs a very reasonable £24.99 considering you get three variants (100, 200 and 300).

Whilst the Fairchild version did have some differences from the Fokker version, these were fairly minimal, i.e. it was built with slightly thicker gauge metal on the skinning in a few places, it had slightly different passenger seating arrangements, a rear airstair door, plus a slightly longer nose so that a weather radar could be fitted into it. So it isn't vastly different, certainly close enough to the Fokker F-27 to float your boat if you want to fly one around in either FSX (FSX SP2 and FSX-SE both supported) or P3D (all versions supported except the very first P3D V1).

You might be interested to know that the Fairchild F-27 is one of the airliners particularly noted for having a very poor safety record; of the 78 which were built by Fairchild, 23 of them have crashed, which is approaching a one out of every three attrition rate. But in fairness, some of that is due to it having been operated in harsh environments and the inherently more dodgy flight conditions in which most turboprop airliners are operated, i.e. at the kind of altitudes where icing is prevalent, and of course it is the aircraft which was involved in the famous Andes crash in 1972, where the survivors of the ill-fated Uruguayan Air Force F-227 had to resort to cannibalism in order to stay alive, which has added to its notoriety somewhat.

Having said that, when you consider that the Uruguayan F-27 slammed into a mountain, yet 24 people out of the 45 on board actually survived the crash, that's indicative of it being a pretty tough aeroplane.  

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Great work will check out the update have two different spec PC`s now one low spec one high spec, will check the sky weather update.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I am sure that JF will make the f27 for FSW. My sense is that, so far, converting aircrafts to 64 bit is not as difficult as people feared in the early days. All vintage aircrafts have simple systems, so system  implementation is also less daunting. I'm thinking of the autopilot and FMC as an example. We know that the P-40 is coming very soon--as to be announced by blueskyfs at flightsim conference in England.

OK, some 'rough 'n ready' feedback, by which I mean I'm ready to write some feedback because I'm naturally opiniated, and rough because I've only been back from work 2 hours in Tokyo and I'm already the lion's share through a bottle of red.

Now then. PBR update; damn good job. Whoever's responsible for that, take a bow. Glare off of reflected surfaces is much more plausible and external views of planes particularly are much more realistic.

TrueSky update; less enthusiastic. Still very much a fan of the look of the clouds and still think True Sky is head and shoulders above any other cloud solution out there, but really? Did your internal testers really pass this to upload as acceptably 'stable' cloud motion? I would describe the reduction of froth at the margins of clouds as 'slight' at best. We're still a way away from 'stable'.

Having said that, the two steps back don't prevent the trajectory from still being overwhelmingly positive. You're on the right track, stay the course blah blah blah.

edit: if I can just squeeze in one more comment, the light scattering still needs work. It doesn't matter the time or place in the world, every horizon is cyan. Never a good colour..,

Have a good weekend DTG:)

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

In defense of DTG, I suspect that with True sky, there's a bit of back and forth between them and True sky's developer regarding the final results. Version 4.2 of TS is too new not to have its own issues. As with any new technology, the rough edges can take months--if not years to fix.

OPUS and HIFI are a good example of the many updates required to make things right. I'd give DTG some slack on True Sky. I am eager to see some of the other plug ins worked on: AI, SDK, larger aircrafts, GPS, etc.

Even P3D is making changes ever so slowly. 

The early release decision is like asking your wife, husband, girlfriend or boyfriend( did I leave anybody out?) to reveal you a secret---only to regret having asked that question.

I do hope they consider VR support at some time in the future.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Just checking back to say that the PBR update really is quite something. On first impressions more realistic than Xplane's.

edit: but definite fps hit, maybe 5-10 fps.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

1 hour ago, Chock said:

Whilst it is true that there is no Fairchild F-27 for FS, the Fairchild F-27 was basically a license-built version of the Fokker F-27 Friendship and there is indeed one of these available (and very nice it is too, having got quite a few nice reviews from numerous places). See the Just Flight web store, where it costs a very reasonable £24.99 considering you get three variants (100, 200 and 300).

Whilst the Fairchild version did have some differences from the Fokker version, these were fairly minimal, i.e. it was built with slightly thicker gauge metal on the skinning in a few places, it had slightly different passenger seating arrangements, a rear airstair door, plus a slightly longer nose so that a weather radar could be fitted into it. So it isn't vastly different, certainly close enough to the Fokker F-27 to float your boat if you want to fly one around in either FSX (FSX SP2 and FSX-SE both supported) or P3D (all versions supported except the very first P3D V1).

You might be interested to know that the Fairchild F-27 is one of the airliners particularly noted for having a very poor safety record; of the 78 which were built by Fairchild, 23 of them have crashed, which is approaching a one out of every three attrition rate. But in fairness, some of that is due to it having been operated in harsh environments and the inherently more dodgy flight conditions in which most turboprop airliners are operated, i.e. at the kind of altitudes where icing is prevalent, and of course it is the aircraft which was involved in the famous Andes crash in 1972, where the survivors of the ill-fated Uruguayan Air Force F-227 had to resort to cannibalism in order to stay alive, which has added to its notoriety somewhat.

Having said that, when you consider that the Uruguayan F-27 slammed into a mountain, yet 24 people out of the 45 on board actually survived the crash, that's indicative of it being a pretty tough aeroplane.  

Right, actually better if they or someone would do the Fairchild FH-227, 6 ft fuselage extension in front of wings, slightly diff avionics, and more powerful RR Dart engines distinguished the aircraft from the Fokker/Fairchild F-27

13 minutes ago, flyforever said:

In defense of DTG, I suspect that with True sky, there's a bit of back and forth between them and True sky's developer regarding the final results. Version 4.2 of TS is too new not to have its own issues. As with any new technology, the rough edges can take months--if not years to fix.

OPUS and HIFI are a good example of the many updates required to make things right. I'd give DTG some slack on True Sky. I am eager to see some of the other plug ins worked on: AI, SDK, larger aircrafts, GPS, etc.

Even P3D is making changes ever so slowly. 

The early release decision is like asking your wife, husband, girlfriend or boyfriend( did I leave anybody out?) to reveal you a secret---only to regret having asked that question.

I´m pretty sure we are not seeing TrueSky v4.2. There´s still that 2D cloud layer above the 3D cloud layer and v4.2 is supposed to bring 3D only multiple cloud layers.

Well, for those who love their eye candy, I have to say the lighting capabilities of FSW is now all over every other sim like a cheap suit. It is very impressive to see what this does for the depiction of different surfaces.

Check out these two screenshots of the Just Flight Piper Arrow in the latest  version of FSW. You can see the airframe really does look like painted metal with a bit of stress rippling kicking the reflections around a little. Inside, the tacky late seventies upholstery looks like it would be soft to the touch, whereas the peeling plasticote covering on the yoke looks as it should, i.e. very shiny from wear, with the bare alloy of the yoke looking like it should too, i.e. dull and tarnished from exposure to the air, whilst through the window those rivets on the wing do really look like the real things when you see them up close. It's subtle, but it certainly adds to the feeling of being there. Static screenshots don't really do this stuff justice, as you move around it looks absolutely stunningly good.

If Just Flight put their Socata TB10 and TB20 in this sim with that treatement, I may never leave the house lol.

9tHEnb5.jpg

VbZWCdu.jpg

• Upvote 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

2 hours ago, scotchegg said:

TrueSky update; less enthusiastic. Still very much a fan of the look of the clouds and still think True Sky is head and shoulders above any other cloud solution out there, but really? Did your internal testers really pass this to upload as acceptably 'stable' cloud motion? I would describe the reduction of froth at the margins of clouds as 'slight' at best. We're still a way away from 'stable'.

Did you turn on the Stable Could Motions in your display settings?  It is off by default.  I didn't notice any cloud motions that grabbed my attention.

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy