Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Drone hits military chopper over Staten Island

An army black hawk helicopter was struck by a drone at approximately 500 feet over a residential neighborhood on Staten Island.

http://flightaware.com/squawks/view/1/7_days/popular_new/62801/Drone_hits_military_chopper_over_Staten_Island

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

One would hope that it would take more than glorified toy largely made of plastic to bring down a UH-60. It's hardly a shoulder launched SAM.

• Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Hi Folks,

LOL - I would tend to think it was the Blackhawk that did the striking...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Well, at least the pilot can claim his chopper was hit by a UAV once, but despite damage he managed to get it back to base. So long as he doesn't elaborate, people will think he is talking about a MQ-9 Reaper and it should get him a few drinks in the bar. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Actually since the drone did damage to one of the rotor blades, it could have done quite a bit more damage and caused loss of control.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Also makes you wonder why. An army black hawk at 500', over a residential neighborhood?  Seems a bit low.

John  Hubbard   MSFS2020 - Win10                    

23 minutes ago, Hubinsc said:

Also makes you wonder why. An army black hawk at 500', over a residential neighborhood?  Seems a bit low.

I lived about five miles from Luke, and they did low passes over my neighborhood quite often, we lived just inside the pattern.  During their airshow, we could enjoy it from our house rather than braving the traffic jams and crowds.  Sometime they would do a wing waggle when passing over my daughter's school, just a block from our house.  With binocs you could clearly see the pilots in their F-16's.  Now they have switched to F35's which are markedly louder.  They normally don't fly after 10PM or on weekends.

John

The mention of Statin Island reminds me of when I was in4th grade we lived on Ft. Wadsworth about 5 miles from Miller Field where most wreckage of the Connie fell after the collision with the UAL DC8. That was in 61 or 62. A couple days after my Dad took us there to see the wreckage they were still looking for remains. Little did I know I was looking at the beginning of the end of my career as an Air Traffic Controller. Some of the controllers involved were instrumental in founding PATCO. A tragedy  can echo for decades. 

Vic green