Sign in to follow this  
Hayden Robertson

0xc00005 - FSX:SE CTD every flight

2 hours ago, SteveW said:

I wouldn't recommend full control to a User since it can become unusable in future. Instead give the "Users group" Modify permission. As a member of the Windows logins you become a member of that group and acquire the privileges of that group. So in future you don't lose access to anything with a fault in your profile.

The OP has not indicated he has checked this out so another wasted suggestion.  Yet, permissions should never ever be a problem if Microsoft technicians wanted to be responsible citizens on Planet Earth.  You install Windows 10, install an application and go play.  But you cannot do that all of the time as you are supposed to run the installer as an Administrator or sometimes do not run it as an Administrator.  No, don't do that as that is not the default way to install 'this' application.  It is getting all too complicated for humans....

Google and Bing have tons of information about permissions but maybe an article about permissions as it relates to Flight Simulation applications/add-ons would be of some value.  If you want to publish something, let me know and I will get it published.  I could also add something to the AVSIM CTD Guide and give you credit.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

21 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Also, when I am denied access to a file or folder, I right click the file or folder, click on Properties and then the Security Tab.  I then look to see who has permission.  If I (the User) am not allowed full control, I'll edit it and give myself full control.  Think you can do this too by going into Safe Mode.  You should be the Administrator of your Computer since you own the computer and the only user.  As the Administrator, you should be able to change this setting without any problems.

13 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

The OP has not indicated he has checked this out so another wasted suggestion.  Yet, permissions

Your post Jim prompted me. I wanted to point out that it should be recommended to be giving the Group access not the individual to avoid other problems down the line, especially with that profile.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

It's just really annoying because like I can't do an hour flight like EGCC - LIMJ [my favorite route on VATSIM] because I depart and FSX is like "nope" and crashes.

Also when I exit out of FSX [close it down] it says "Microsoft Flight Simulator X Steam Edition has stopped working ...." 

20 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

...supposed to run the installer as an Administrator or sometimes do not run it as an Administrator.  No, don't do that as that is not the default way to install 'this' application.  It is getting all too complicated for humans....

The fault lies with poor installers that do not work correctly. An installer should elevate to admin if it is making folders and setting permissions on them, or making a system setting - otherwise it should not. So Setting an exe to Run as Admin should be done if we know it's OK to do so.

I mentioned this before: The problem with the Windows Program Files folders is very simple - it's read only to logged in Users.

Installers that place files there when these files are written to by an app running as a User in Windows the app fails over since the User does not have permission. The answer isn't "running as admin" to acquire permissions since Admins don't get permission to all things so is a problem down the line. A custom folder gives Modify access to the Authenticated Users Group and so the sim appears to work reliably in a user made folder. However installing apps in that folder the app acquires the permissions of that folder and these do not provide access to the Users group, another possible problem down the line.

So for example; we run the sim, the aircraft we installed writes a setting there for a custom feature and requires read/write access for the Group or individual. The installer should set their folder read/write but don't.

That's what causing the complications for humans.

2 minutes ago, Hayden Robertson said:

It's just really annoying because like I can't do an hour flight like EGCC - LIMJ [my favorite route on VATSIM] because I depart and FSX is like "nope" and crashes.

Also when I exit out of FSX [close it down] it says "Microsoft Flight Simulator X Steam Edition has stopped working ...." 

It's not normal behaviour.

Just now, Hayden Robertson said:

Also I found a .txt file in my FSX called "dxdiag.txt" from 01.10.2017 13:53 [ a few mins ago]

That's possibly an issue. Have you made sure the GPU driver is up to date re one of Jim's posts earlier?

9 minutes ago, Hayden Robertson said:

Shows you still got something added in there that's ruining it. The sim works fine in stock form.

7 minutes ago, Hayden Robertson said:

Also I found a .txt file in my FSX called "dxdiag.txt" from 01.10.2017 13:53 [ a few mins ago]

That's automatically generated when you have a crash.  The Microsoft developer's also made a copy of your FSX.cfg called, FSX.txt.  They once envisioned these files would be sent to them for diagnostics in the event FSX ever crashed. 

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

3 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

That's automatically generated when you have a crash.  The Microsoft developer's also made a copy of your FSX.cfg called, FSX.txt.  They once envisioned these files would be sent to them for diagnostics in the event FSX ever crashed. 

nothing in the dxdiag.txt about FSX though?

Also I heard a Windows Update was crashing P3D to desktop, would there be chance of that same update crashing FSX as well?

Not supposed to be.  It's a diagnostics of DirectX components and drivers on your system.

Submit News to AVSIM

16 minutes ago, Hayden Robertson said:

Also I heard a Windows Update was crashing P3D to desktop, would there be chance of that same update crashing FSX as well?

Possible as it happened once before P3D was ever around but doubtful as it seems to be an issue with P3DV3.4 only.  If it was happening to FSX we would have heard about it by now.  I run FSX often and so far have not seen any crashes that might be related.  Right now you are the only one who has crashes with FSX-SE.

Submit News to AVSIM

18 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Possible as it happened once before P3D was ever around but doubtful as it seems to be an issue with P3DV3.4 only.  If it was happening to FSX we would have heard about it by now.  I run FSX often and so far have not seen any crashes that might be related.  Right now you are the only one who has crashes with FSX-SE.

oh. I also have the boxed edition but I don't know where the product key so I cant use it because I lost the product key