Sign in to follow this  
Hayden Robertson

0xc00005 - FSX:SE CTD every flight

2 hours ago, Hayden Robertson said:

oh. I also have the boxed edition but I don't know where the product key so I cant use it because I lost the product key

Product key is located inside the DVD box if you have it.  I would stay with FSX-SE.

3.24GB VAS at the main menu screen? is this normal ?

You get 4 GB's of VAS so that is near the max.  Should be normal at startup.  Mine usually drops to 2GB at startup of the flight and I have around 500 MB's on landing an hour or two later.  Very normal.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

3.24GB VAS at the main menu screen? is this normal ?

I had a system recently that did have ntdll.dll errors when we pulled back the sliders a bit it stopped.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

8 minutes ago, Hayden Robertson said:

I reset my PC so windows 10 is stock, however I can't  install steam because my HDD isn't showing up, however only my C: is 120GB and I  only want windows on it

disregard, fixed

OK take it easy installing extra stuff, work a step at a time. There's no issue installing to your other drive as you did before. I've been looking at vPilot you should be OK with that. See if you can run the sim stock first, then add vPilot. Later do your scenery and traffic etc.

On 10/1/2017 at 8:00 AM, SteveW said:

It's just really annoying because like I can't do an hour flight like EGCC - LIMJ [my favorite route on VATSIM] because I depart and FSX is like "nope" and crashes.

Also when I exit out of FSX [close it down] it says "Microsoft Flight Simulator X Steam Edition has stopped working ...." 

If I remember correctly, that used to happen when FSINN/FSCopilot was also running if FSX wasn't run "As Admin".  I'm not suggesting the OP has FSINN/FSCopilot, but maybe there is a problem with his account or account permissions?

To rule this out, you might try creating another Windows Account, and ensure the account is given Admin priveldges. Then run FSX from that account, ensuring you also run FSX "As Admin".

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

vPilot Writes to its files in username\AppData\Local\vPilot\ and so has no issues with file access.

By the way guys:

If I ever run into a program that puts files in a Program Files subfolder and expects to have write access to them, I provide a relevant group with the Modify permission, the professional way to do it in fact.

Although Run as Admin might work most of the time it does not guarantee getting permission. It can be useful as a test and useful to malware. Remember those that say "I never got infected" are likely the ones with the silent malware. Dealing with noisy malware takes the eyes off the ball.

One need only look at the Admins Group to see that there are all sorts of admins, that's why there's a group.

Suggesting it's not an issue running as admin as we are the only user of a PC is a mistake. We might think we are the only user but there are others that do housework in the OS. The way various Admins work is critical to the reliability of a Windows PC.

So when we see that we have to make a user an admin, and also we see we have to Run as Admin as well, the logical progression of that suggests something's up -  to be an admin is unreliable.

...as a sub-note to that.

There are various means of communication and control between apps. Some of these types requires that the privileges of one are equal to the privileges of the other. So if we run one as admin the other may not communicate or control all functions, depends on what it does. So we get into the situation that we see all apps running as admin.

If an app needs to make a system setting then it requires elevation of privileges to some form of admin, or it is run off the bat with the specified privileges set into the manifest, these apps show the shield in the icon.

There can be faulty apps that even though are expected to be run by a User store information in the wrong part of the registry, these also must be run as admin. I can only think of one instance of an addon doing this but long since.

35 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

To rule this out, you might try creating another Windows Account

This is good advice Dave: Start a new user account and see if it works, in many instances I've found problems related to Profiles and gone on to fix the system.

Only problem is, around the forums I have noticed that various advice is being given to change settings on a per-user profile basis.

Setting permissions for a User not a Group ensures that a new User Profile does not work where changes had been made to the original profile to fix a problem.

Steve is exactly correct about this (per usual!).

The reason I suggest the Admin account and run As Admin is pure laziness (really it's lack of time), as a lot of people don't understand setting up groups and group permissions, and assigning permissions.  But it's worth taking the time to understand, and again Steve is absolutely correct!

Thanks Steve!  Maybe a little tutorial if you have the time my friend?  I promise I'd do it, but I'm in Beta Test Hell right now.

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Yes Dave, I recognised you were suggesting for test purposes, so I thought I might elaborate.

Folk whine, moan and complain; even so, if it's the right way then it's the right way. 

2 hours ago, SteveW said:

This is good advice Dave: Start a new user account and see if it works, in many instances I've found problems related to Profiles and gone on to fix the system.

Didn't I mention this a day or so ago?

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Probably. Dave you're fired!

• Upvote 1

Fact is Jim I am pulling out that technique mentioned by yourself and later by Dave as OK, except that I wanted to point out it can fail to provide your answers under certain circumstances. I re-quote:

2 hours ago, SteveW said:

Only problem is, around the forums I have noticed that various advice is being given to change settings on a per-user profile basis.

Setting permissions for a User not a Group ensures that a new User Profile does not work where changes had been made to the original profile to fix a problem.

And so the technique is prone to fail in these types of fault scenario it is being used to check.

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

Probably. Dave you're fired!

Oh no, not again!  LOL

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

Didn't I mention this a day or so ago?

Sorry Jim, I've been trying to hit the forums in between restarts, installs and the like and might well have just missed it.

It's great advice though, and bears repeating!  LOL

Dave Hodges