Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Checking out barnstormers.com

I find it fun to browse this site, which advertises aircraft for sale.  It's especially fun to browse the Cessna, Light Sport and Ultralight listings.  One can get a feel for how much used aircraft sell for based on the hours and quality of the aircraft. Curious if anyone else has visited this site?

John

I looked into that site when I was on a temporary mission to learn and buy an ultralight. I quickly lost interest due to the hassle of plane storage, and being in WI, only being able to fly it 6 months of the year.

4 minutes ago, VeryBumpy said:

I looked into that site when I was on a temporary mission to learn and buy an ultralight. I quickly lost interest due to the hassle of plane storage, and being in WI, only being able to fly it 6 months of the year.

I know what you mean, that's the reason why I haven't bought a trike.  While unfolded they fit in a garage, you have to own a trailer and a truck to tow one around, although a car will work, one pilot I know towed that way.  But it's a project to stow a trike, he let me watch the process and it is deep in work.  Then putting it back together, if you don't get the ******* bolt just right, you will know what it is like to plummet to earth in only the chassis. You can't rent a single place trike, and the double place trike requires a license.  A used trike will set one back between 8-10000 dollars.  You have to watch out when the owner says 103 legal. The larger engines overweigh the aircraft, you have to stick to 30 hp to stay within the rules. 

Inspectors can pop up at the oddest time to write one up for violating part 103.  Not having an N-number is why so many pilots dump their ultralights as part 103 compliant.  They are just handing off their headache to you.  I have almost bought ultralights only to find that the owners were lying about their compliance.  They would get upset when I would refuse to purchase, but they knew what they were hiding.  There's only a couple of mfrs that stay within the rules.  Dennis Carly sells fixed wing 103's.  Although I can't afford one right now, he keeps withing the UL envelope and will help with the engine choice.  There are other UL providers, like Northwing, that do the same.

In spite of the light restrictions on UL flying, taking instruction is a must.  Should repeat that for potential flyers.  Never touch a UL without some fixed wing or trike instruction.  The instructors will teach you what you need to know over the course of several lessons and they will be there for you when you solo.

John

I have want and for sale ads on there and have found many great parts and planes in there in the past. Great site!

5 hours ago, Oracle427 said:

I have want and for sale ads on there and have found many great parts and planes in there in the past. Great site!

Thanks, as I said it's fun to browse there, many of the sellers have taken great care to photograph their aircraft.  And of course they sell training material, gauges and other aircraft hardware.  I've exchanged emails with the owner of the site in the past, very nice person.  The site has been around for more than a decade.

John

Hi Folks,

I sold a plane once via Barnstormers - advertised on (3) of the larger sites as well - for every hit I got off the other (3) combined - I'd get two on Barnstormers - much better results... Great site...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

22 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

I sold a plane once via Barnstormers - advertised on (3) of the larger sites as well - for every hit I got off the other (3) combined - I'd get two on Barnstormers - much better results... Great site...

Regards,
Scott

Thanks for posting, I was wondering how pilots fared using the site.  It's very well organized and very well monitored by its owners.  I know some of the pilots who have posted there, they all commended the site.

John

• Upvote 1