Sign in to follow this  
cavaricooper

P3D v4 & the JS-41

I believe Q400 has a larger max range 1100NM max range vs 774nm if I remember correctly of the JS41. But in general same type of routes around 1 to 1.5 hours.

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

I wont miss the old FMS. It was nice at the time....but time moves on.

The only thing I will say is that it would be good if you could choose the 750, 650, 430 or 530 GPS options (F1 or RXP etc) as the older GNS 530/430 units are more likely to be whats installed in the real thing these days.

Unlike some, I believe this release will be a step forward for the J-41.  Much has been, and continues to be done, to make it compatible with P3D v4+ and the subtle changes in graphics and lighting have to be seen to be fully appreciated.  The original engendered enough affection to have PMDG take another look at a release for Prepar3D.  This version keeps the most of the endearing parts of the package and eschews the older FMC. I for one, chose not to install the GTN750, and decided to continue as I had with the DC-6 and work with raw data.  For those who drone endlessly through the flight levels, from waypoint to waypoint, following the magenta this will no doubt move significant amounts of cheese... not to fear, the increased workload of raw data navigation, coupled with working to keep the engines from melting, will keep one busy enough to avoid those cruise meditation segments, where one is prone to second guessing aircraft developers.

Anyone who enjoyed Rick Piper's superlative HS-748 will find themselves at home in superbly British environs.  The flows and mind set are the same.  No fuel trimmers or Darts, but the same propensity for hot starts and meltdowns.  Engine management is simple. Take off at 100%, climb, cruise and descend and approach at 98%, land at 100% and taxi at 72%.  That's it.  Oh, that and work your power levers very gently to avoid lengthy tea and biscuit sessions with the Chief Pilot.

The autopilot without auto-throttle is also immediately familiar to Rick's aficionados.  Presetting Heading, Initially cleared Altitude SEL and a positive 1000FPM VS will preset the AP for hand-off above 1000 agl.  When flying the J-41 in busy ATC environments, it is prudent to go through this aforementioned setup, so that the transition is smooth and uneventful.  Thoughtfully, engineering has provided 2 sets of hash marks on the EGTs so that derated take-off's are mostly non-computational (except for the necessary cross-check).  After clean-up engage the AP and once settled at 170 KIAS transition to IAS mode.  This will keep the AP flying speed on elevator, and you busy monitoring everything else, include ALT constraint removals, SID course changes and final level off.  On the way down, again engaging ALT SEL and IAS, and SLOWLY reducing power works well.  If additional VS control is needed, switching to VS is easy enough.  Just remember, there is NO SPEED PROTECTION cover- you are responsible for selecting a performance appropriate vertical flight path.

Whilst occupied with remembrances, don't forget that geared turbo-props either slow down, or go down.  They seldom do both.  As with transport category piston descent planning, here too, the visual vertical is important.  If you're too high, or too fast go around.  You aren't going to save the approach.

The beta is keeping us occupied, and forcing us to relearn the nuances of J-41 operation.  I'm sure that others here will share their videos with you shortly.  I will have to make do with prose and pictures, as I am mostly a git at video.

I would encourage all to stay involved, read, research and review what is forthcoming.  This aeroplane has sufficient charms for most...

• Upvote 5

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

I would think anybody with prior experience of the J41 or indeed the q400 or a myriad of other non authrottle equipped turboprops will be fine with this new release. Obviously the geared turboprops pose a unique challenge, but it’s more a case of reacquainting oneself with the procedures. I always find IAS for climbing and VS for descents to be the most reliable and safe operation.

• Upvote 1

We were having so much fun, we continued on to one of my very favorite Orbx Alaskan destinations- PAKT.  They normally do a superb job of scenery, but here as some other places, they've outdone themselves.... sloping taxiways- yeah!

Here we are just turning off the active...

YQw79YZ.jpg

A mandatory wing view...

YAnCrxr.jpg

Taxying down the slope for the far corner...

W2Kz1rW.jpg

And finally, nestled in beside the 738 on the ramp. The thing I'm most proud of in this piccie are the props... sitting nicely on the start locks for the next leg.  I'll get the hang of this yet!

;)

CUiuGZC.jpg

Rc0coG8.jpg

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Hi Folks,

Umm - right up my ally and it will be my first PMDG purchase since the B1900... Looking forward to hopping around FL and the Caribbean - a nice little plane to get in and out of relatively small fields... I never used FSX so I missed out on this bird the first time around... Has it been stated if it will work in v3 or is this strictly a v4 thing ?

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Scott-

I flew a Musketeer around Florida for a bit in another lifetime... lucky you!  Yes, v3 is also in the works.

• Upvote 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Hi Carl,

THANKS - a great little (completely underrated) aircraft... She flies like a dream - just a tad slower than comparable aircraft but has a bigger cockpit than a Bonanza... Since my Photobucket pix are dead - a few pix here if interested:

http://flightaware.com/photos/aircraft/N63503

Thanks for the info - I'm still on v3 with plans to move to v4 - so that's great news - I'll pick her up when released...

:biggrin:

Regards,

Scott 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Carl,

THANKS - a great little (completely underrated) aircraft... She flies like a dream - just a tad slower than comparable aircraft but has a bigger cockpit than a Bonanza... Since my Photobucket pix are dead - a few pix here if interested:

http://flightaware.com/photos/aircraft/N63503

Thanks for the info - I'm still on v3 with plans to move to v4 - so that's great news - I'll pick her up when released...

:biggrin:

Regards,

Scott 

She is a little beauty Scott.  I got to enjoy a Sierra for a few months with the Keesler Aero Club, very comfortable cockpit and a great IFR trainer.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi Dan,

Thanks as well - yeah - it was a toss up - I had found a comparable Sierra when I was looking - just chickened out on worrying about the additional expense of a complex prop and retracts - 20/20 hindsight - it would probably have been fine...

I bet your club loved the massive barn door baggage compartment door - I've seen people load a clothes dryer through that door - pretty impressive - nothing like it in its class...

Regards,

Scott

18 hours ago, YukonPete said:

I thought PMDG always improved its product when releasing updates.  This is a step backwards! 

I'm a huge fan of the GTN 750 - I've used both the 650 and 750 irl - but I have to agree here - getting rid of the quirky FMS makes the jetstream lose its original charm.  That FMS was a such a nice addition (and not that great of a tool but I liked the addon because of it).  Oh well.  I think this may be the one time I am disappointed that an addon company included the GTN.

• Upvote 5

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

I'm a huge fan of the GTN 750 - I've used both the 650 and 750 irl - but I have to agree here - getting rid of the quirky FMS makes the jetstream lose its original charm.  That FMS was a such a nice addition (and not that great of a tool but I liked the addon because of it).  Oh well.  I think this may be the one time I am disappointed that an addon company included the GTN.

I agree 100%

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Instead of the immediate opine...I would urge at least moment of pause.  Take a look at what comes forth, the photos, the reviews, the videos... even some of the drivel I produce.  Then, decide if one singular facet of this simulation is your Rubicon.  I will hazard a guess, that after reflection, the sum total of this release will provide argument against that position.  The more I fly this thing, the better I like it.  In conversations lately, I keep going back to the phrase, "It's just big enough and just small enough."  My heart will always belong to 4 RB-211s and the -436 airframe, but an occasional interlude such as this along the way, hasn't been unwelcome.

If you enjoyed her in FSX, you will love her in P3d (at least I do).  The full-package (the sim, the Wx, the graphics, the scenery etc.) all combine to deliver a delightful experience.  I have deleted all my other sims, leaving only Prepar3D v4.  In my estimation, that is the way forward.  What I understand, and fully accept, is that each person will arrive at a decision that works for them.  I have never understood the non-inclusive spirit in Flight Simulation.  We are lucky to have options, and 2017 has been a particularly fortuitous year.

All I can say for certain is that this airframe, in it's current state (without the FMC) works for me.  It keeps me so occupied in pre-flight, departure, climb, cruise, descent, approach and landing that I haven't even a single moment to wish for anything else.  After you manage these engines, and fly a complex SID, a 7 minute level segment, a STAR and approach to minimums on raw data, and then shutdown (on the locks); all within a single hour, you won't miss anything- promise! With only a few hours away from the salt mines each day, when I can loose myself in the long, delirious burning blue, that complete occupation is a good thing indeed. I rely on my beloved G-CIVX, to put out my hand, and touch the face of God.

Give her time, she will repay you with contentment.

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

I totally get it - being a tester - you've got to take a slightly biased stance.  But also since it's in your hands you're able to appreciate the addon in v4.  

If I ever get internet it'll likely be on my purchase list.  It's such a pilot's plane after all.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I'm also quite disappointed about the (apparent) decision to drop the custom FMC. I'm still waiting to see an actual picture where a JS41 has been upgraded to a modern GPS like the GTN 750 (which I actually own and like). Looking at (recent) pictures and videos of for example Eastern Airways, the biggest JS41 operator in Europe, still show the original FMC in it.

On major problem of the GTN F1 750 (and 650) is that you cannot update its database. And an outdated database is a major problem for a online-only flyer like me.

• Upvote 3

Regards,
Chris Volle

i7700k @ 4,7, 32gb ram, Win10, MSI GTX1070.