Sign in to follow this  
cavaricooper

P3D v4 & the JS-41

It's a pity that the authentic navigation system is gonna be "replaced" with third party options with this release.

• Upvote 4

1hxz6d.png
kityatyi

I7 6700K 4.6 GHz, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5

16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 2666 MHz RAM, 750GB SSD, 1TB HDD

On 28.11.2017 at 7:20 PM, kityatyi said:

It's a pity that the authentic navigation system is gonna be "replaced" with third party options with this release.

Afaik PMDG had bought the FMC from a third part developer and don‘t own the code. As this dev won‘t update the FMC they have no chance to convert the system to P4D and would have to write a completely new one. This would never be profitable. So I understand their decision to use the GTN750 as a complex option, although it definitely is a pity.

40 minutes ago, Ephedrin said:

FMC from a third part developer and don‘t own the code... dev won‘t update the FMC

That's couched in rather diplomatic language and to my knowledge not strictly true, more plainly:

PMDG bought in the FMS from a another developer, and they don't want to pay them to port it nor code their own. As a cheap fix they dropped in GTN750 support. The J41 P3D port was always a least cost exercise (which is fine so long as it's priced accordingly).

Hopefully they will support other GPS units (such as RXP GNS530 v2) as the GTN750 is rather expensive especially when you already own another GPS. Also the latter unit would be more realistic as no GTN750 have been fitted to J41s afaik.

• Upvote 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Hi.

If you look at some real JS41 aircraft cockpit photos , a lot of them had NO FMS , i would say that PMDG  should do like they have in the DC-6 give VC inst options to retro fit into the VC either NO FMS or the other FMS options by third parties that are available, and also give VC options on weather radars like Captain sims or MilViz for full intigration into VC instead of the 2d pop ups we have now.

Some JS41 had very basic nav equipment fits dependant on airlines requests.

regards alan cottrill.

Alan Cottrill.

1 hour ago, ckyliu said:

That's couched in rather diplomatic language and to my knowledge not strictly true, more plainly:

PMDG bought in the FMS from a another developer, and they don't want to pay them to port it nor code their own. As a cheap fix they dropped in GTN750 support. The J41 P3D port was always a least cost exercise (which is fine so long as it's priced accordingly).

Hopefully they will support other GPS units (such as RXP GNS530 v2) as the GTN750 is rather expensive especially when you already own another GPS. Also the latter unit would be more realistic as no GTN750 have been fitted to J41s afaik.

Well I have to admit that this may rather be the case than my version of the story. But on the bottom line we won't have the original FMS due to economical reasons for PMDG as a company, which - unfortunatly - is a point I have to agree with them. In the end they will probably have to aim for a relatively low price for the P3D version in comparison to products like the NGX or the DC-6. But that's up to them, not to us ^^ We will have to decide if it's worth it with one of its main features missing. (ok, I am pretty sure I will go for it, lol...PMDGmaniac...)

• Upvote 2

It's a wash for me. I would rather have the bird with or without the FMS. If they add support for the GTN750 that would be great. I use it now for X-Plane and I love it. You are correct that it's not cheap and I would need to get the P3D version as well. Not concerned with the time it's taking to test. Would rather wait and have as many bugs squashed as possible.

Michael Lagow
Madness Software

4 hours ago, Ephedrin said:

bottom line we won't have the original FMS due to economical reasons

I think that is fair but a little shy of the truth.  From my viewpoint, I saw PMDG being hesitant to migrate the JS41 from FSX to P3D until they made a decision to proceed after all the FSX/FSXSE/P3Dv3/P3Dv4 installer issues were resolved (that was a major effort). The decision to proceed had a primary directive:  Only do what is necessary to migrate to P3D.  No additional features, no FMS improvement (the original is buggy), minimum cost with the goal of releasing the product at the low price point of the original.  Of course we are talking about software so if you think you can do the migration with a couple of developers working for two weeks guess what happens...., there is one hurdle after another trying to migrate and nothing is easy.  There is no way they are going to add features at this point, they just want to get it done.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

9 hours ago, SO666 said:

Hi.

If you look at some real JS41 aircraft cockpit photos , a lot of them had NO FMS , i would say that PMDG  should do like they have in the DC-6 give VC inst options to retro fit into the VC either NO FMS or the other FMS options by third parties that are available, and also give VC options on weather radars like Captain sims or MilViz for full intigration into VC instead of the 2d pop ups we have now.

Some JS41 had very basic nav equipment fits dependant on airlines requests.

regards alan cottrill.

Precisely.  Frankly I consider us VERY lucky to be getting the GTN ... and to be honest that is one move I love, because I use the GTN in a LOT of aircraft that I fly and have fallen in love with how powerful and versatile it is as a navigation system.  I know some aircraft out there in real life who the GTN would run absolute circles around their FMS/FMC systems.

• Upvote 1

Having to purchase the GTN750 would effectively double the price of my copy of the P3D JS41, but it would be worth it for the flight planning capabilites and large navigation display.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I think we should all just be thankful that we are getting a JS41 for v4 in the first place, not gripe about what it doesn’t have!

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Milton Waddams said:

I think we should all just be thankful that we are getting a JS41 for v4 in the first place, not gripe about what it doesn’t have!

Finally!

What a refreshing post, John.

Thank you!

Roberto

• Upvote 1

Roberto Stopnicki

Toronto, Canada

Did they mention anything about FSX:SE?

38 minutes ago, Holdit said:

Did they mention anything about FSX:SE?

Looking in the Ops cener, I only see a J41 page for the P3D v3 and v4 versions, though that’s not an indication if they’ll make it for FSX-SE or not. We’ll see what RSR says in his release post!

• Upvote 1

I too am glad they decided on releasing it for P3DV4. It had some bugs in the FSX version but it was for me my favorite PMDG aircraft. I will be again even with a "Nav" modification.