Sign in to follow this  
cavaricooper

P3D v4 & the JS-41

On 7.1.2018 at 0:47 PM, lasnubes said:

Michael-

Sorry, I just saw this... there is no flight plan... rather SEA and ISNQ are identified and course radials selected.  As mentioned a few times in my J-41 and DC-6 posts, I revel in the return to raw data. Even when flying the -41 on feeder/commuter routes, I only use the GPS for SA, choosing to identify Navaids manually, and relying on radials, DME and triangulating for position confirmation.  This keeps me busy enough to sate my daily simulation desires within 90 minutes ;)

After all, any time I want, there is Milk of Magenta aplenty...

C

While I am absolutely with you flying the J41 with raw data.. If I programmed a flightplan with the GTN650, will it be able to follow it using the modes the aircraft offers?

43 minutes ago, Ephedrin said:

While I am absolutely with you flying the J41 with raw data.. If I programmed a flightplan with the GTN650, will it be able to follow it using the modes the aircraft offers?

Oh yes. With the flight plan loaded into the GTN750, the CDI selector set to "GPS", pressing L NAV on the J41's airport will follow the flight plan route.

• Upvote 2

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

I've already said this earlier in the thread, but I really hope there's F1 GNS integration as with the DC-6 - the 3D model is already there. For a company like PMDG that takes pride in realism, it makes sense since there actually were J41s with GNS units in the real world. The GTN, as awesome as it may be, not so much.

I had flown into SeaTac from Sky Harbor (FlightBeam's newest offering, which is quite wonderful) in my 744, and having a bit of the afternoon remaining, had decided a jaunt over to Ketchikan in the J-41 was just the ticket.  Departure out of Seattle was rainy and we needed anti-ice through the climb.  Once on top, Vancouver Center was online, and at 16,000 we were just above the cloud deck. 

It's my favorite place in the sky, with wispy tendrils flicking by in a blur below, an occasional cloud arm languidly raised, for me to slice through, and the absolute, enthralling, visceral sensation of speed capturing my senses in a hypnotic band rolling under the nose.  Unlike M.85 on a trans-Atlantic crossing, the 241KTS we were indicating were in my face, and impossible to ignore.  The coffee went cold as we streaked over the cloud deck, and I could focus on nothing else...

6DloF8F.jpg

Here we are after just going feet dry, coming in over Annette Island for the outbound...

F2VZ1ll.jpg

That's were we are headed if all goes according to plan... Can you just make it out?

FkGht9p.jpg

C

• Upvote 2

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

After the lovely descending turn over the water, we established and worked our way down the GS...

AGKi8pJ.jpg

to roll slowly down the centerline, shrouded in the wet mist of a Ketchikan evening...

ra8EZNE.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the trip.

Best- C

• Upvote 4

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

41 minutes ago, lasnubes said:

Hope you enjoyed the trip

Actually... no. :laugh:

great teaser, as always :D

I hope that the final adjustment is to add that green P3D band at the top of the tailfin :wink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I hope that Arrival into ketchikan is a subtle metaphor that it will also land into our desktop soon  :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

PC- AMD Ryzen 7800X3D, 64gb 6400mhz RAM, Nvidia RTX4090

Nice shots and looking ready! It would be great to make that trip ASAP since I'm on furlough now due to the shutdown! :blink:

• Upvote 2

On 6.1.2018 at 10:34 PM, downscc said:

Something old from PMDG.  The FSX version has this as well as airframe icing.

Is there a chance to see that effect in the PMDG 777 or 737 or 747 for P3D v4 ???

Because that effect will be great for PMDG's aircrafts.

It was relatively heavy on framerates and ate up animations (which were limited in FSX, no idea if they still are in P3Dv4). The airframe icing would be pointless on those jets as they have heated edges rather than boots so you don't get ice build up in the same manner, plus you can't see the wing leading edges from the cockpit.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Since the turboprop simulation is severely broken in P3D, I wonder if you have found a "walkaround" or if we can expect a flawed engine dynamic due to P3D limitations?

---

MSFS | DCS | X-plane 12

@JanReidar This isn't a new product, the workaround was found and implemented pre-2011 when it was released for FSX! Note the geared-turboprop Garrett TPE331 is very different to free-turbine engines such as the PT6, PW120 etc which you may be more familiar with.

The correct geared-turboprop behaviour is modelled including start locks (if the prop isn't fully fine the engine won't start), use of bleed air anti-icing increasing EGT, high idle torque, reduced RPM increasing EGT, TTL (Temperature and Torque Limiter) protection, FADEC and manual starts, and the inevitable engine fire should you exceed EGT VRL too much! The sounds are correctly affected by torque and propeller RPM too.

APR (Automatic Performance Reserve) is also simulated, the system automatically attempts relight and then feathers a failed engine, whilst simultaneously temporarily raising EGT VRL on the remaining good engine and increasing torque using the fuel enrichment valve.

The only two shortcomings that I can remember:
1) I don't believe the prop rotation animation is correct or synchronised to sound during start up (that's not important though)
2) Adjusting air con pack flow rates doesn't impact EGT/ITT

Indeed the engine simulation is good to the point of annoyance, you really have to throttle back and reduce vertical speed when climbing through icing conditions to avoid becoming a flying barbecue! And if EGT isn't below the start limit you have to wait for it to cool, which you can hasten by motoring the engine without ignition to draw cool air through it (but not for too long otherwise you cook the start motor)

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg