Sign in to follow this  
cavaricooper

P3D v4 & the JS-41

@ckyliu Sounds good. I was more interested about the slow spool up time for the turboprop engine which makes them impossible to fly in P3D, and also highly unrealistic. F.ex if you're flying at cruise power and you start a slow descent. You reduce the power slightly, it takes like 40 secs for the torque to reduce to where you set it. Is this issue fixed?

---

MSFS | DCS | X-plane 12

4 minutes ago, JanReidar said:

Is this issue fixed?

It's a geared turboprop. Turbo lag doesn't exist here.

Kyle Rodgers

@JanReidar To expand on what Kyle said, geared turboprops don't spool up; they sit between 95 and 100% RPM all flight and changes in thrust/torque are achieved by adjusting propeller pitch whilst a governor varies fuel flow to maintain that 95-100% RPM.

The old default Bell 206B works in the same way. It's like driving a car by keeping the accelerator flawed and using the clutch to control how fast you go.

Torque does reduce quickly but because the airflow is not allowed to turn the engine (it would damage the gearbox) the TPE331 has relatively high torque at idle, so losing speed during descent is tricky as there is always a small positive amount of thrust.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

11 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

@JanReidar To expand on what Kyle said, geared turboprops don't spool up; they sit between 95 and 100% RPM all flight and changes in thrust/torque are achieved by adjusting propeller pitch whilst a governor varies fuel flow to maintain that 95-100% RPM.

The old default Bell 206B works in the same way. It's like driving a car by keeping the accelerator flawed and using the clutch to control how fast you go.

Torque does reduce quickly but because the airflow is not allowed to turn the engine (it would damage the gearbox) the TPE331 has relatively high torque at idle, so losing speed during descent is tricky.

So unlike the Dash 8 you can't use high RPM to break... It acts more like a jet in the air.. correct?

Haven't flown the J-41 in ages and shortly after I had purchased it I went over to Prepar3d.. so, almost no experience with it.. But one thing has remained in my mind... If I remember correctly there was indeed one issue with the turboprop simulation that PMDG wasn't able to fix as the FSX engine environment was really crappy.. When returning from reverse to idle the airplane accelerated until the RPM had decreased.. Am I right with that? I have noticed a perceptible improvement with helicopter physics in P3D4.1, so maybe LM has worked on turboprops too and this could get fixed? It would be great as so far the Majestic Dash 8 is the only usable and realistic turboprop simulation available..

7 minutes ago, Ephedrin said:

So unlike the Dash 8 you can't use high RPM to break... It acts more like a jet in the air.. correct?

Brake - sorry for the correction, but the break/brake thing gets really confusing around here, since they can both be relevant to the discussion of aircraft and our products.

And somewhat. The system on the JS4100 maintains positive thrust at all times, so there is no prop braking. You just aren't throwing as much thrust into forward movement, but you're never getting really getting drag.

10 minutes ago, Ephedrin said:

When returning from reverse to idle the airplane accelerated until the RPM had decreased.. Am I right with that? I have noticed a perceptible improvement with helicopter physics in P3D4.1, so maybe LM has worked on turboprops too and this could get fixed?

I believe the issue is still present.

Kyle Rodgers

1 minute ago, scandinavian13 said:

Brake - sorry for the correction, but the break/brake thing gets really confusing around here, since they can both be relevant to the discussion of aircraft and our products.

And somewhat. The system on the JS4100 maintains positive thrust at all times, so there is no prop braking. You just aren't throwing as much thrust into forward movement, but you're never getting really getting drag.

I believe the issue is still present.

definitely brake, yes :laugh: My english has become rusty :blush:

5 minutes ago, Ephedrin said:

definitely brake, yes :laugh: My english has become rusty :blush:

All good. It's an awful language, honestly...

'Read' and 'read' are two different words, and it's only obvious when you speak them. One sounds like 'reed' ('reed' itself being another word entirely), and one sounds like 'red' (yet another word entirely). Even native speakers screw up their/there/they're all the time.

The break/brake thing is just so common here that I do make it a point to point it out. Something breaking means it's not working properly (or, more specifically, has failed in some way), which is something that can definitely be discussed here (the product is broken, the sheer pin can break, etc.); whereas braking means brakes are being applied in some way, which is also something that is definitely discussed here (the brakes are stuck on, the brakes are red hot, the brakes are broken :ph34r:). Makes understanding what is being written pretty difficult sometimes. That's all.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

Sounds very interesting. Will for sure buy when it becomes available. I flew this in FSX a few years back at my friends house, but I don't remember much regarding the engine operation. I really liked the cockpit environment in this plane, and the high quality virtual cockpit. Very nice training plane to shoot approaches etc. if you want something a little faster and challenging than a small GA twin.

---

MSFS | DCS | X-plane 12

5 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

All good. It's an awful language, honestly...

'Read' and 'read' are two different words, and it's only obvious when you speak them. One sounds like 'reed' ('reed' itself being another word entirely), and one sounds like 'red' (yet another word entirely). Even native speakers screw up their/there/they're all the time.

The break/brake thing is just so common here that I do make it a point to point it out. Something breaking means it's not working properly (or, more specifically, has failed in some way), which is something that can definitely be discussed here (the product is broken, the sheer pin can break, etc.); whereas braking means brakes are being applied in some way, which is also something that is definitely discussed here (the brakes are stuck on, the brakes are red hot, the brakes are broken :ph34r:). Makes understanding what is being written pretty difficult sometimes. That's all.

lol yep... it's way off topic, but I have to tell this one :D 

You speak german, so I guess you know it, but I find it funny anyway :D It's actually a common joke in english lessons in Germany..

The german "kommen" means "to come" while "bekommen" means "to get, to receive".

Now "kommen" and "come" are very similar so the typical german learner would walk into a restaurant in New York and ask the waiter "May I become a beefsteak please?"..

3 hours ago, Ephedrin said:

Now "kommen" and "come" are very similar so the typical german learner would walk into a restaurant in New York and ask the waiter "May I become a beefsteak please?"..

Sounds like something I would've done when I was stationed in Germany for four years in the 1970s, I claimed I knew gasthaus deutsch.  I could ask for the bathroom key and accomplish basic navigation but conversation was way beyond my reach, regardless, those were some of my best years of my life.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

The one that annoys me is "could care less", when the speaker clearly means the exact opposite....

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

8 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

The one that annoys me is "could care less", when the speaker clearly means the exact opposite....

"Could care less" is actually the English rendering of a Yiddish expression - it's meant (and meant to be delivered) ironically.

"Couldn't care less" is the idea being expressed - so if in doubt (or unable to deliver a Yiddish inflection), "couldn't care less" is the better way to say or write it.

As to which people choose - I could care less! :cool:

7 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Even native speakers screw up their/there/they're all the time

I think that this is a laziness that has developed in the internet/social media era. The perception is that because it sounds the same, then that will do. If people get corrected that the fact the context and meaning is totally wrong, they are shocked and chagrined. "what difference does it make, you know what I meant".

Apologies for being off-topic.

David Porrett

Hi Kyle, does the old known issue of the flashing polygons screen when flying with the ice effects on, has been completely solved in the upcoming p3d v4 new versión? anyway what about the TFDI TrueGlass product on the j41? it would be great and other developers included this product like in the upcoming Fly the maddog MD... and, any chance of be including a weather radar AS compatible like in the other PMDG beauties? Cheers!

3 hours ago, Trachemys said:

Hi Kyle, does the old known issue of the flashing polygons screen when flying with the ice effects on, has been completely solved in the upcoming p3d v4 new versión? anyway what about the TFDI TrueGlass product on the j41? it would be great and other developers included this product like in the upcoming Fly the maddog MD... and, any chance of be including a weather radar AS compatible like in the other PMDG beauties? Cheers!

I‘m not Kyle, but Trueglass has definitely been negated. The polygon flashes have been a problem with FSX, we can be assured that they are gone with P3D. And as far as I remember, AS is confirmed on the J41.