Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Showing off XPlane11 and OrthoXP4

I have to balance my posts here so as not to favor one sim over the other.  For these screenshots I am using Xplane's default Cessna and my own scenery, generated with OrthoXP4.  I covered much of California and Nevada so I could complete flights between the Bay Area and Reno.  I resampled down to level 16 to save space, not sacrificing much at altitude.  The Bay Area was overlaid with autogen, but it didn't extend to the eastern deserts in Nevada.  I love the end result, gives me a large VFR area to fly over.

John

Cessna_172SP_46.jpg
Cessna_172SP_47.jpg
Cessna_172SP_48.jpg
Cessna_172SP_49.jpg
Cessna_172SP_50.jpg
Cessna_172SP_51.jpg
Cessna_172SP_52.jpg
Cessna_172SP_53.jpg
Cessna_172SP_54.jpg
Cessna_172SP_55.jpg
Cessna_172SP_56.jpg
Cessna_172SP_57.jpg
Cessna_172SP_58.jpg
Cessna_172SP_59.jpg
Cessna_172SP_60.jpg
Cessna_172SP_61.jpg

• Upvote 2

Wonderful atmosphere and scenery. For flying over northern California, we've come a long way since Fight Unlimited II.

John

XP11 and Ortho is such a wonderfull mariage! Too bad that often the overlay is not following the ortho.

But nice area, my compliments to the chef :)

Regards,

Vital Vanbeginne

1 minute ago, vesalius said:

XP11 and Ortho is such a wonderfull mariage! Too bad that often the overlay is not following the ortho.

But nice area, my compliments to the chef :)

Thank you. Once you have Ortho4XP installed, the process is very easy.  I unzipped the Python modules into the same path as Ortho4XP, that did the trick as far as getting it to work and process all the scripts.  It's on a separate partition, so it doesn't chew up space on my system partition.  So is Xplane, I don't have it installed in Program Files but instead on a separate partition, it can be moved easily to accommodate the space it needs for photo-real scenery and for faster access rather than the busy C: drive.

Flying in the scenery is very liquid in movement, panning around is easy.  Obviously lowering the res to 16 helps, the scenery resolves itself like MSE once at altitude.  What I really liked was running the process at bedtime, I just woke up to find it completed unattended.

John

Looks like Truckee. Cant beat orthoXP. I use 16 and Bing for mine. Couple 17 levels in my home town area but 7gigs is steep. Ortho is very addicting, Have most of Socal and Nocal.

:P Timothy Murphy

Love the Tahoe area....very nice shots!

HLJAMES

8 minutes ago, HLJames said:

Love the Tahoe area....very nice shots!

HLJAMES

Thank you, it's a nice stretch of land to fly over in any sim.

John

17 minutes ago, t4murphy said:

Looks like Truckee. Cant beat orthoXP. I use 16 and Bing for mine. Couple 17 levels in my home town area but 7gigs is steep. Ortho is very addicting, Have most of Socal and Nocal.

Yes, I saw how 17 chewed up my hard drive, 16 was better and not that bad at altitude, just like MSE.  It's also easier on X-Plane since I only have 3GB of VRAM, no OOM errors.

John