For what its worth I upgrade recently from a 1060 to a 1080 TI. I found frames went up a little but not as much as I was expecting I run in 4K. What I do like about this card is that even in hard areas it has the muscle to plow thru it even if your frames are low you don't notice it. As far as DL in 4K its a killer even for the 1080TI I not willing to use anything less than 4 or 8x scaa so for now DL is turned off. To me DL it isn't worth the performance hit.  Is it worth the price of $800 I dont know its hard one. If you do I'm sure you will be happy but don't expect everything.

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

14 minutes ago, FreeBird(Josh) said:

For what its worth I upgrade recently from a 1060 to a 1080 TI. I found frames went up a little but not as much as I was expecting I run in 4K. What I do like about this card is that even in hard areas it has the muscle to plow thru it even if your frames are low you don't notice it.  Is it worth the price of $800 I dont know its hard one. If you do I'm sure you will be happy but don't expect everything.

Thanks for the advice and just like you say I think you should not expect too much and really know this is something you want to do. If not you'll risk ending up disappointed.

For this reason I'll wait until the store I buy most stuff from will have it in stock which should be within a week or two. Buying from that store I know I'll be able to try the card out and take it back if I'm not happy enough with the improvement over my current 980Ti.

That way I don't risk spending money on something I'll regret and this will also give me some more time playing around in P3Dv4 and all its settings using my current 980Ti.

Richard Åsberg

1 minute ago, WebMaximus said:

Thanks for the advice and just like you say I think you should not expect too much and really know this is something you want to do. If not you'll risk ending up disappointed.

For this reason I'll wait until the store I buy most stuff from will have it in stock which should be within a week or two. Buying from that store I know I'll be able to try the card out and take it back if I'm not happy enough with the improvement over my current 980Ti.

That way I don't risk spending money on something I'll regret and this will also give me some more time playing around in P3Dv4 and all its settings using my current 980Ti.

Just be sure your store will take the return as allot of retalires wont give you a refund on video cards because of bit mining.

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

9 minutes ago, FreeBird(Josh) said:

Just be sure your store will take the return as allot of retalires wont give you a refund on video cards because of bit mining.

Will do but I'm fairly positive it won't be an issue. This store is pretty incredible when it comes to their return policy which pretty much is the customer should always be 100% satisfied and if not be able to return the product regardless what kind of product it is and even after trying it out. They will then sell any returned products with a 10% discount.

I remember when I was shopping for a new CPU and trying to find a specific batch hoping that would increase my chances a bit finding a good one for overclocking. When I was in the store asking the guy to look for this specific batch he did find a CPU from the batch I was looking for but he also added that if I had the money I could buy one CPU from each batch he had in stock and keep the one that performed best and return the rest :biggrin:

Sometimes you can't help questioning if this almost too kind approach towards their customers really is profitable but I guess it is or they wouldn't stick to this policy. Take me as an example. I will happily wait for this store to have this graphics card in stock and buy it from them even when I could get the card already today on my way back home from work from someone else. This because I know about their generous policies and how you are always met by their super friendly staff.

Now that is a winning concept for sure and those 10% they loose when I buy something I decide to return for whatever reason they will win back tenfold in the long run since I'm always buying all my stuff from them rather than from someone else. And I'm sure I'm not the only one so do the math...

Sorry for derailing, just came to think of this but back on topic!

Richard Åsberg

So I've now done some testing with my 980Ti in P3Dv4 and overall I'm quite happy with the performance where I get somewhere between 40-50 FPS and very smooth operation during daytime in the NGX with all the normal add-ons such as the global Orbx products, AS weather, complex payware airports etc.

What I did notice though is when it gets dark and the lights kick in both at the airports but especially when using the aircraft lights (taxi, landing, runway turnoff lights etc) my FPS drops to low 20 or even just below 20 FPS at times.

This makes me wonder if a 1080 Ti would improve this situation and by how much.

Of course I can start lowering some of the settings or make a profile specific for night time flying. However I really don't want to do this and I would be happy to pay my way out of this situation. But only if I know throwing money on the issue would really sort it.

I don't expect miracles and I realize night time flying with all lights will on will of course decrease the performance no matter what hardware you're using. However if a 1080 Ti would allow me to have around 30 FPS rather than 20 in the situation above I would find it worth it.

Anyone in here knows how much effect the GPU has when it comes to lights and by how much the FPS would likely be improved by replacing a 980 Ti with a 1080 Ti?

I think I already mentioned it but I'm running my sim in 4K.

Still waiting for my favorite store to have the 1080 Ti's in stock but right now after seeing this poor performance during night I'm very tempted to get a 1080 Ti already today but then it won't be from a store where I can return the card should I want to. On the other hand, if I'm close to certain it would improve this situation to the better with a clear margin I might as well get the new GPU from anywhere since I'm sure it would be a keeper.

Sorry for the wall of text consisting of nothing but my thought around this. Just felt like getting some of all these thoughts out of my head and maybe have some valuable input from you guys.

Richard Åsberg

FYI - Below are the settings I'm currently settled with for P3Dv4 and FTX Vector.

Feel free to comment on anything where you think I could adjust things to the better.

kd4qJpU.jpg

WIeNybm.jpg

ghBKz8m.jpg

ebzYw0S.jpg

XkXG0r3.jpg

cLLYULS.jpg

CrMXjgo.jpg

e7fTjPE.jpg

Richard Åsberg

14 hours ago, WebMaximus said:

What I did notice though is when it gets dark and the lights kick in both at the airports but especially when using the aircraft lights (taxi, landing, runway turnoff lights etc) my FPS drops to low 20 or even just below 20 FPS at times.

Do you get the same drop with Dynamic Lighting turned off?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

8 hours ago, gboz said:

Do you get the same drop with Dynamic Lighting turned off?

gb.

Nope, if I disable dynamic lighting I don't get the drop but as a side-effect the lights in the NGX don't work anymore.

So do you think a 1080Ti would handle dynamic lighting better than my 980Ti because to me that seems like the kind of effect handled by the GPU? 

Richard Åsberg

13 hours ago, WebMaximus said:

So do you think a 1080Ti would handle dynamic lighting better than my 980Ti because to me that seems like the kind of effect handled by the GPU? 

Well yes that's my understanding.

What cpu/overclock are you running there?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I'm running a 6700K at 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM and now a 1080Ti and can confirm the FPS drop I noticed with my 980Ti with dynamic lighting enabled is no longer there.

• Upvote 1

Richard Åsberg

1 hour ago, WebMaximus said:

I'm running a 6700K at 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM and now a 1080Ti and can confirm the FPS drop I noticed with my 980Ti with dynamic lighting enabled is no longer there.

Excellent. Now I'm tempted myself.  :)

gb.

18 minutes ago, gboz said:

Excellent. Now I'm tempted myself.  :)

gb.

Yep, was a very nice upgrade!

Other than improving the situation with dynamic lighting I also noticed how everything is now more sharp than ever before and at the same time more smooth than ever before.

Also how the GPU utilization which with my 980Ti often sat most of the time at 100% while with this card rarely hits 100% but most of the time stays somewhere between 50-90%. And this with the FPS limiter in P3D set to unlimited.

Can't wait for the next flight :biggrin:

Richard Åsberg

3 hours ago, WebMaximus said:

Greetings.

After you got 1080 TI do you still use the same settings shown above? I am having issues with aliasing and some shimmering. Cannot get rid of it. I have less aliasing issue when I am on 8xSSAA but I can fly it at day time only. With 8xSSAA and DL ON at night fps drops severely, so I have to 2xSSAA. With MSAA shimmering is pretty bad but good fps at night with DL even on surround on 3 monitors. 

Thx  

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

Affirm.

Haven't started playing around with any settings yet.

As for shimmering and AA I do get some but not as much as it really bothers me. Or maybe I got used to it.

Also since I'm running at 4K that will help quite a bit making these kind of issues not stand out as much. I remember it was much more of an issue before I went to 4K from 1080.

Richard Åsberg

While I am waiting for my 1080TI card, it would be great to see how much the fps drop is with DL on using SSAA as compared to MSAA. With my 980TI, I had 30-40 % drop with SSAA in Aerosoft's EDDF Prof. and only little drop with MSAA.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR