Sign in to follow this  
Denco

Airports elevation problem

So I noticed that some of the airports in P3D are in a depression like KSEA in the picture bellow. Airports such as this are a pain to land because the T7 seems to hit an invisible wall a few feet above which screws up my landing. Is there a way to fix those airports to correct elevation? I'm using ORBX OpenLC Europe/NA, Vector and Base. I'm also not using any payware airports.

8tlEN52.jpg

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.5GHz

Corsair Vengeance Black LPX 32GB

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

The problem is we have flat airports in the simulation but not in real world.  SeaTac is a good example because like many others the ground around the airport is sloping so it is inevitable that you will end up with a rise at one side and a fall on the other for example. There is a significant slope around this airport, but the airport itself should be flat so i don't know what you're running into.  In fact if you look at KSEA with Google Earth you will see "cliffs" at either end of the airport.   Good developers such as Taxi2Gate that does KSEA will adjust the scenery for a good match.  Since you mentioned Vector, be sure to run the airport elevation correction tool, although I do not think it is a problem in this case.

You can adjust airport elevations with Airport Design Editor, but I think you have to get the Prokey version.

Dan Downs KCRP

Dan is on to something... KSEA must be disabled in the ORBX FTX Vector Airport Elevation Corrections tab in the Configurator.

Additionally, it is pretty standard to have Crash Detection turned off in FSX and P3D to avoid unseen issues and mesh issues and unseen objects that sometimes come with addon scenery.

Something else which may work in your case (it works with some scenery) is to adjust your mesh. The mesh setting for the airport should be listed in the documentation for the airport.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

34 minutes ago, downscc said:

The problem is we have flat airports in the simulation but not in real world.  SeaTac is a good example because like many others the ground around the airport is sloping so it is inevitable that you will end up with a rise at one side and a fall on the other for example. There is a significant slope around this airport, but the airport itself should be flat so i don't know what you're running into.  In fact if you look at KSEA with Google Earth you will see "cliffs" at either end of the airport.   Good developers such as Taxi2Gate that does KSEA will adjust the scenery for a good match.  Since you mentioned Vector, be sure to run the airport elevation correction tool, although I do not think it is a problem in this case.

You can adjust airport elevations with Airport Design Editor, but I think you have to get the Prokey version.

I already ran the Airport Elevation tool. Sadly it made no difference. 

2 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Dan is on to something... KSEA must be disabled in the ORBX FTX Vector Airport Elevation Corrections tab in the Configurator.

Additionally, it is pretty standard to have Crash Detection turned off in FSX and P3D to avoid unseen issues and mesh issues and unseen objects that sometimes come with addon scenery.

Something else which may work in your case (it works with some scenery) is to adjust your mesh. The mesh setting for the airport should be listed in the documentation for the airport.

Best wishes.

My mesh is set to 5m as per orbx manual.

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

22 minutes ago, Denco said:

I already ran the Airport Elevation tool. Sadly it made no difference. 

I'm assuming you ran the Automatic tool?  If so, you might check the list of disabled airports to see if KSEA is actually in the list. If not, try adding it manually. 

Also, are you running any type of Mesh that covers that area?

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

If your running My Traffic you might want to set the KSEA.BGL in the my traffic scenery folder to KSEA.off

RE Thomason Jr.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I fixed the problem by disabling KSEA in the Vector elevation tool.

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

5 hours ago, Denco said:

Thank you for all the suggestions. I fixed the problem by disabling KSEA in the Vector elevation tool.

Good to hear.  Remember to check Vector when every you install new scenery.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP