Sign in to follow this  
brucets

GPU Overheating??

My new 1080ti is running at 57c while playing FSX. The max load is 62%. Isn't that a bit warm. Right now the gpu is at 31c. There is also a constant ticking audible while FSX is playing. Sounds like a fan noise.  It got quite loud once and I shut the pc down. This is a brand new rig I got from Micro Center a month ago.

Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro chassis   
    ASUS ROG Strix Z270E Gaming system board
    Intel Core i7-7700K Processor 4.2GHz
    ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti STRIX ROG Overclocked 11GB GDDR5X
    1000W Gold power supply with CableMod's ModFlex sleeving
    Corsair Hydro H100i liquid cooler
    32GB G.Skill DDR4-3200 RAM
    Intel 600P Series 256GB M.2 SSD's in RAID 0 (512GB)
    2TB WD storage drive    
    16x Blu-ray DVD Burner Drive
    10/100/1000 Network
    802.11ac Wireless
    Bluetooth 4.1
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit  

Any thought's?

Thanks -- Bruce

I'd say it's more that acceptable! Mine, a 1080 FTW, usually runs at 75 or more, I feel that the fans could go fast and lower those figures, it's like they're into a conservative (noise) mode.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

13 hours ago, brucets said:

Any thought's?

Your card running at 57C is nothing to worry about but the ticking is. Make sure that there are no cables or other obstructions touching any of the fan blades. To check the fans, you could install MSI Afterburner, or something similar, and set a custom fan curve that steadily increases fan speed as the temperature increases. If the ticking you hear increases in frequency as the temperature rises you'll know it's a fan. If the rig's new, I'd take it back for a card replacement. If the ticking doesn't increase in frequency,  I'd check that it's not a fan or the pump on your cooler that's causing the noise.

Incidentally, when I'm not gaming, my GTX1080 idles at about 35C with the fans off. I've set a fan curve which gradually increases the fan speed when the temperature rises above 40 to 100% fan speed at about 70 (it's never got close to that top temperature yet).

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Bruce I returned the same setup back to microcenter. The card was fine but Temps for the cpu was running 90c to 100c while stress testing it and one of the temps monitors alarm was going off. There was also a rattling fan on the cooler. Temps running P3d was around 80c to 95c. Am no computer pro but after a lot of goggleing I learned temps should not be that hi. I got nervous about my 2700 bucks and return it. That's just to much to pay for a rig that is not optimize.

I would get microcenter to check the problems out before the warranty is up. 

P3d was running so smooth on the 1080ti. 

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

57?  For a GPU?  That's cool!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Thank you all for the responses!! Sorry I didn't get back sooner. Had an all day motorcycle ride.

Glad to hear heat isn't a factor for the GPU. The fan gets louder as the GPU works harder and the fan spools up - I think. It got pretty darn loud while landing in ATL so I shut down the flight.

Maurice -- I bought the PC in DEN at the end of August and brought it back to PHX with me. Now I'm 900mi away from Micro Center. I will call them tomorrow. May have to drive back there and return it like you did!!

Bruce

Probably to late to return it now but I would run a stress test and post the temps here and see what others simmers say about them. If to high I would let mc check it out. 57c for gpu is cool while p3d is running as Ryan said. It was the cpu that was so hot. Hope it all works good for you.

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

Maurice

Return policy says 15 days, so that's out.

Just downloaded MSI Afterburner. Don't know how to use it, but I just turned the fan speed up to 40% and the noise was very significant!

Bruce

I am using FSX Boxed with fairly high settings, no car traffic, very dense autogen, medium default weather, FSG, GEX, UTX, UT2(70% Traffic), DX10Fixer and using default planes.

Just now, leaving ATL(default) the frame rate was 20-50, the max cpu usage was 100%, Max cpu temp was 79c. I could not hear the fan noise.